TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 32 56.14%
Todd's Costumes 11 19.30%
Steele and Jones 3 5.26%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #26
jsarino
IndyFan

^^^Saw pics of the jacket. Pretty cool that it already comes distressed/aged. I've not heard of this one, so please share with us your thoughts on it when it arrives.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 AM   #27
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarino
^^^Saw pics of the jacket. Pretty cool that it already comes distressed/aged. I've not heard of this one, so please share with us your thoughts on it when it arrives.

The USW Imported Legend Jacket fit well. Slim cut jacket so I ordered the long version. The leather is much lighter in shade than the web pictures. Very soft and the leather has a worn look but it does not show it as much as the shade is lighter.

For around 200 bucks, a very nice jacket that can be worn in above freezing weather with a heavier shirt.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #28
jsarino
IndyFan

Aargh! This is partially my fault. I left my jacket on the bed, and my 4 yr. old daughter, which I call her the "Destructo" (she broke my PS3, damaged our car stereo, colored on our walls), put a sticker on my Todd's...

Off to the leather repair place. Unfortunately, they'll have to refinish the whole jacket. So, any natural distressing I've done the last couple of months will be gone. I'm crossing my fingers the color will be about the same when it comes back.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #29
Indyfan82
IndyFan

I have a leather jacket from Boston Outfitters that I really love. Of course, since I can't really afford to buy leather jackets all the time, it serves as my jacket for a number of characters- chiefly Indiana Jones of course- but also MacGyver, Michael Knight, Fonzie, Gary Hobson, Sam Beckett (okay- not that he was really wearing a jacket all the time though- lol), Marty McFly (in Back to the Future Part II), and most any other cool jacketed character out there...lol
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #30
Drones33
IndyFan

That's harsh Hope the leather place can repair it for you.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #31
BiffMan
IndyFan

Gibson & Barnes goatskin here. Not completely SA, but just a stupidly well-constructed and incredibly comfortable jacket and I imagine it'll very likely outlast me. :-)
BiffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #32
jsarino
IndyFan

Update on my Todd's: I did get it back finally, and it seems to have been restored, and a small tear in the back yolk was fixed too.

Time to naturally re-distress the jacket again...
Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #33
Glenville86
IndyFan

Looks like they did a good job.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #34
Drones33
IndyFan

That's most impressive work. I'm glad they managed to restore it to its former glory.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
Drones33
IndyFan

Just had an email to say that the Wested Last Crusade jacket that I orderd in distressed cowhide will be here tomorrow. TOMORROW!
I love my Raiders goatskin, not very good for cold weather though. ( I specifically ordered a 38 instead of my usual 40 so that it would be quite snug. It fits great, but consequently I cant layer it.) So I wanted something a little heavier with a bit more room for layering that I can wear throughout the winter months.
And it'll be here tomorrow.
Very exciting
Old 12-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #36
Glenville86
IndyFan

I have been wearing a US Wings Signature Series Vintage Cowhide with a fleece vest underneath during the cold days. Works fine. Tomorrow, might wear a Wested goat with the vest. Funny thing is I have 2-Wested in goat and the Raiders Jacket has enough room to layer but the LC/CS is cut smaller even though they are both the same size.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #37
Drones33
IndyFan

Raiders goat/Crusade cowhide comparison

My new LC cowhide arrived
Natural light.

Played around with the saturation so the difference in colour is more obvious.
The LC is just a bit longer and looser than the Raiders goat which is just what I wanted.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #38
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
I have been wearing a US Wings Signature Series Vintage Cowhide with a fleece vest underneath during the cold days. Works fine. Tomorrow, might wear a Wested goat with the vest. Funny thing is I have 2-Wested in goat and the Raiders Jacket has enough room to layer but the LC/CS is cut smaller even though they are both the same size.

That's intriguing. I'd have said the LC was cut looser. Perhaps, in my case, it's simply the fact that my Raiders goat is a size smaller, and I'd just assumed it was the cut aswell as the size. I'm very happy with my new LC I must say. Nicely different from my Raiders. Not better, just different . Look forward to taking it on its first outing... With a fleece
Old 12-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
jsarino
IndyFan

Drones, congrats on your new jacket!
Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #40
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarino
Drones, congrats on your new jacket!

Thanks Jsarino. How's the weathering coming on your newly restored Todds?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #41
Glenville86
IndyFan

One thing I have noticed is the resale value on the Indy jackets is not very good. Not horrible but not good. I bought 2 jackets on EBay I really did not need because the prices were so good. Like new US Wings Indiana Jones "Legend" jacket in steerhide (US Made) for under $130.00 and a like new Wested in Lamb for $125.00.

I am sure the rare jackets would retain more of their value.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #42
Drones33
IndyFan

Interesting point. I wonder if its a relative thing: to a fan, an Indy jacket, be it Wested, Todds, US Wings or otherwise, would be a highly prized item. Yet to a non-fan who doesn`t understand the appeal, it may be just another leather jacket. And sadly it seems theres a lot more non-fans out there than fans.
Indeed, it seems to me that theres a surprising number of people, particularly younger people, who have no idea who or what Indy is, let alone the fact that there are certain items, the hat and jacket being the most obvious, associated specifically with him.
Its interesting I think, and this is true not just of Indy, that something that can be so prominent a part of one persons consciousness can be irrelevant to another. I work with a team of ten people ranging from early twenties to late fifties, yet only 2 of those have ever seen an Indy film, and clearly the other 8 have no interest in watching any of them.
Amazing really...

Last edited by Drones33 : 12-13-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #43
Glenville86
IndyFan

Maybe in 30-40 years, these things will be a highly sought after vintage item.

Back in the mid 90s, I had a Stetson Indy hats (one of the better ones) that I wore. Got messed with in good nature by my friends for wearing it. Fast forward to now and I can wear an Indy hat and jacket with no comments except nice cowboy hat.

I was worried that wearing them together would be so obvious but as you said, most people do not even know anymore.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #44
jsarino
IndyFan

It is surprising that the jackets have not fared as well as they should in the used market. Whips and hats to me though have stayed steady or have gone up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Thanks Jsarino. How's the weathering coming on your newly restored Todds?

I'm just naturally letting it get distressed. In the short time I had it, it was showing some nice signs of wear too (I was wearing it the bulk of the fall here in the US). Unfortunately, I have to start over again. I'm waiting on some Pecard's cream dressing to arrive so I can protect it. Then, if the weather is more fall-like, I'll presume naturally re-distressing it.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #45
Glenville86
IndyFan

Have a G&B Expedition on order. I like all my Indy jackets from Wested, USW and WPG but am still looking for "the one".
Old 01-02-2015, 05:14 AM   #46
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Have a G&B Expedition on order. I like all my Indy jackets from Wested, USW and WPG but am still looking for "the one".

Yoy have a Wested and it's not The One???
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #47
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakis
Yoy have a Wested and it's not The One???

I guess it has more to do with the fit than the maker quality. I have big arms and wide shoulders.

The Wested fit alright but they are slightly snug in the upper body where my shoulders and upper arms meet. Other than that, they fit fine.

The US Wings fit great in the upper body but the sleeves while alright could be slightly longer and the waist is slightly bigger than I like. No way too big but a little.

The What Price Glory (WPG) fits the best overall but the zipper and pull are a bright brass that contrasts with the dark goat. Looks great zipped but open just slightly bothers me.

I like them all though and have been letting go of a leather jacket (non-Indy) from my collection whenever I get a new one.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #48
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:

Just been looking at the G&B Expedition on their website. Looks really nice. Have you opted for goat or lamb skin?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #49
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Just been looking at the G&B Expedition on their website. Looks really nice. Have you opted for goat or lamb skin?

I ordered the goat. I normally wear a 48 in fancy outerwear coats and ordered the 48 Long. Just hope it fits well. If not, will have to exchange it. My Wested are 48 and one size 50 that fit alright. The US Wings I have are XXL as well.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #50
Drones33
IndyFan

US Wings Jacket on ebay, worth a look...

Came across this on ebay: a US Wings Indy jacket, large, 36, ( less than $60). I`d snap this bargain up myself but it would be too big for me unfortunately. Thought I`d post the link though in case its of interest to anyone... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-S-WINGS-...item3f446aeafb