RedeemedChild

tambourineman said:
Interesting little tidbit gathered from this video I didnt notice before:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=11985420
Look at the flag on the Black Pearl. Its flying Blackbeard's flag:
120px-Pirate_Flag_of_Blackbeard_%28Edward_Teach%29.svg.png

instead of the Black Pearls usual flag (Jack Rackhams ):

120px-Pirate_Flag_of_Rack_Rackham.svg.png

How very fascinating. Fascinating indeed.

I wonder if Captain Blackbeard will take over the Black Pearl and dear old Captain Jack must regain control of it?

To bad Disney killed off Davy Jones as I think that a supernatural foe is sometimes more challenging than a motal foe. Perphaps they'll make Captain Blackbeard a bit more dangerous sort of like Mola Ram in Temple of Doom or Khan in Star Trek: Wrath of Khan insead of an easily defeated fellow human foe like the villain in National Treasure Book of Secrets.

TheMutt92

Anyone know where those pics of Jack and Barbossa are from exactly? I don't think I've ever seen them before...

TheMutt92

Haha, I just read one of the characters in this is going to be a Mermaid... things cannot get any better... :p

RedeemedChild

128637.png

Hey TheMutt92, the above image is of the Mermaid whose name is Syrena The Mermaid (Astrid Berges-Frisbey). I do seem to remember the Mermaids having a profound impact on Captain Jack Sparrow's adventures in the on going books entitled "Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow."

I only hope that the upcoming movie will be as good and as magical as Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End!

Below is yet another peekaboo.

Astrid-Berges-Frisbey-cast-as-mermaid-in-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-4.jpg

TheMutt92

RedeemedChild said:
I only hope that the upcoming movie will be as good and as magical as Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End!

AWE is my least favorite of the trilogy, not a bad movie (a solid 4/5), but it does get a little weirder compared to the first two. DMC and COTBP are close for my favorites, but I think I'm gonna have to go w/ DMC. But as long as they keep the general quality of the previous films, I'll be fine (I know some might disagree, but hey, we're all entitled to an opinion).

RedeemedChild

Beautiful! Astrid Bergus- Frisbey = Beautiful!

I sure do think that Astrid Bergus Frisbey looks quite like a Mermaid as far as I'm concerned. I like what I see in her. She reminds me of what I thought Ariel (Disney's The Little Mermaid) would look like in real life when I was a child.

Here is an excerpt from the official Walt Disney press release:

Astrid Bergès-Frisbey has been selected by producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Rob Marshall to star in the key role of Syrena, a beautiful and alluring young mermaid, in Walt Disney Pictures’/Jerry Bruckheimer Films’ epic adventure “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,” the fourth in the blockbuster series of films. Bergès -Frisbey joins Johnny Depp, returning in his iconic role of Captain Jack Sparrow. The film is slated to open on May 20, 2011.

Born in Barcelona of French-American and Catalan parentage, and now based in Paris, Bergès-Frisbey, one of France’s brightest young stars, appears in such French films as “La Fille du Puisatier,” “Bruc,” “Extase,” “La Premiere Etoile” and “Un Barrage Contre le Pacifique.” She has also appeared in the telefilms “La Reine Morte,” “Elles et Moi,” “Divine Emilie” and “Sur le Fil.” Berges-Frisbey appeared on stage at the Theatre Marigny in a production of Peter Shaffer’s “Equus.”

Matt deMille

This is going to rock . . .

I think the Pirates franchise has the chance to do what so many other franchises have failed to do . . . get a second wind. As much as I liked "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", it was, truly and properly, just a sequel that fit in well with the series. But Pirates came to an end and, like Star Wars before it, there's now room for a new start. I think the source material and characters have great potential for this.

Plus, we FINALLY get Barbossa as a leading character. In my opinion, he's at least as much fun as Sparrow to watch. Jack is like, there for the kids and those who are kids at heart, while Barbossa is more of the adult's hero.

Giving Barbossa leading man status (or at least equal to Jack) will keep this movie stable as far as being serious and exciting, rather than letting it get too Disneyfied or silly (a common problem among sequels -- paranoid studios want to hedge their bet for a movie's success by lowering the common denominator, which of course only lowers the movie's quality).

Plus, a more in-land adventure (which this will be) will be cool. Jungles, ruined temples . . . I want to feel like I'm in Adventureland at Disneyland, just outside the Temple of Mara. I hope we get it!

roundshort

Matt deMille said:
Plus, a more in-land adventure (which this will be) will be cool. Jungles, ruined temples . . . I want to feel like I'm in Adventureland at Disneyland, just outside the Temple of Mara. I hope we get it!

What in a huge bottle neck that is impossible to move around in?

I am excited to see this movie. The last left sucha bad taste in my mouth. Will Turner and Swamm were tired after the POTHC, BP. a good retuning of the better characters is much needed!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
roundshort said:
What in a huge bottle neck that is impossible to move around in?

Hah. Yeah. Love the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but there are times when I love the wide open spaces of Florida's Adventureland more.

I am excited to see this movie. The last left sucha bad taste in my mouth. Will Turner and Swamm were tired after the POTHC, BP. a good retuning of the better characters is much needed!

Agreed. Wonder how many more they expect or hope to get out of the franchise, though, and out of Depp and Rush.

kongisking

TheMutt92 said:
AWE is my least favorite of the trilogy, not a bad movie (a solid 4/5), but it does get a little weirder compared to the first two. DMC and COTBP are close for my favorites, but I think I'm gonna have to go w/ DMC. But as long as they keep the general quality of the previous films, I'll be fine (I know some might disagree, but hey, we're all entitled to an opinion).

Eh, I loved the pants off of AWE exactly because of how damn loopy it is. The scene in Davy Jones' Locker with the billion Jack Sparrows had me laughing like a sick hyena. That being said, the next film could tone down the silliness a bit. Even a POTC lover like me will admit that AWE was ridiculously over-the-top (in a positive way, IMO, but whatever).

TheMutt92

kongisking said:
Eh, I loved the pants off of AWE exactly because of how damn loopy it is. The scene in Davy Jones' Locker with the billion Jack Sparrows had me laughing like a sick hyena. That being said, the next film could tone down the silliness a bit. Even a POTC lover like me will admit that AWE was ridiculously over-the-top (in a positive way, IMO, but whatever).

It was just a little over the top for me (I actually really enjoyed the multiple Jacks sequence).

And since this is a discussion about POTC4...

pirates4-depp-on-set-1.jpg

pirates4-depp-on-set-2.jpg

Matt deMille

Attila the Professor said:
Hah. Yeah. Love the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but there are times when I love the wide open spaces of Florida's Adventureland more.

Agreed. Wonder how many more they expect or hope to get out of the franchise, though, and out of Depp and Rush.

I admit, it's very cramped there. In some ways I like that however, just like I go when the sun is blazing, because it feels a bit more like a crowded bazaar. I just wish people were less rude, more respectful (i.e., parking strollers in the middle of the runway).

Depp and Rush have a good deal left in them. Depp does not have a movie star's ego, meaning he will not hesitate to embrace aging. And Rush has never really been fully used, I think. It'll be interesting to see where things go and how much they let these characters fly. Also, since they're clearly going to make Pirates 5 and 6, will they have the same director, or will somehow new come in? What if, what if, Tim Burton did a Pirates of the Caribbean film?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Matt deMille said:
Depp and Rush have a good deal left in them. Depp does not have a movie star's ego, meaning he will not hesitate to embrace aging. And Rush has never really been fully used, I think. It'll be interesting to see where things go and how much they let these characters fly. Also, since they're clearly going to make Pirates 5 and 6, will they have the same director, or will somehow new come in? What if, what if, Tim Burton did a Pirates of the Caribbean film?

Not what I meant. I'm sure they've got the material. I'm saying that these guys are real actors, and how long are they really going to want to stick around this particular ballfield?

kongisking

TheMutt92 said:
It was just a little over the top for me (I actually really enjoyed the multiple Jacks sequence).

And since this is a discussion about POTC4...

pirates4-depp-on-set-1.jpg

pirates4-depp-on-set-2.jpg

Thank you so much for these! Damn, does it feel good seeing my dear Cap'n Jack and Mr. Gibbs again! Yee-haw!