The All Things Alien Thread

sandiegojones

Sorry, but the costume is way off. Hurt has long gray hair, a beard and a poncho. It's more than just a skull mask. I mean even the Indy figure has grat hair.

Kingsley

Burke said:
I can't imagine that S & L would risk alienating (pun partially intended) the majority of the audience by linking the ark and grail -- and by association, Judaism and Christianity -- with extraterrestrial beings.
I can imagine it... and it will probably happen.
In that case I think the ark powers will prevale over any alien power, that's the way S & L would handle such a mixture.

Perhilion

I really hope they don't do that. It would ruin the other movies, plus we've had enough "let's attack the bible" movies/books/games (I'm looking at you, Assassin's Creed(n) )

sandiegojones

Perhilion said:
I really hope they don't do that. It would ruin the other movies, plus we've had enough "let's attack the bible" movies/books/games (I'm looking at you, Assassin's Creed(n) )

I don't think that's the objective. I thin kfrom the story perspective if God can exist then so can aliens. I do not think one is an explanation of the other.

Perhilion

sandiegojones said:
I don't think that's the objective. I thin kfrom the story perspective if God can exist then so can aliens. I do not think one is an explanation of the other.
Well, yeah, that's ok. But from what some people have said, it sounds like they expect the whole alien thing to be explained as the power behind the grail and the ark. Which I do not want.

sandiegojones

Perhilion said:
Well, yeah, that's ok. But from what some people have said, it sounds like they expect the whole alien thing to be explained as the power behind the grail and the ark. Which I do not want.
I don't think it'll even be hinted at. God is the ultimate power. He would have been their creator too, wouldn't ya think?

I had suspected that the only reason for the Ark, if it is in the film, would be to destroy the skull since it houses Gods power.

sandiegojones

jasperjones said:
Are you seriously judging who is this character is based on his toy form hair? This is definitely Hurt.
Hair cut and color, costume, the eye color visable through the skull. Yes, I'm basing it on the action figure that looks nothing like John Hurt.

I'm not saying I'm right, just that it's my opinion

WillKill4Food

Even though I was one of the first to imply that this guy is Hurt, I now see the err of my ways.
The idea wasn't mine, I'm proud to say, but I firmly believed that this guy was Hurt, until I looked at the picture a second time and realized that the following differences:

Hurt...................................Figure
Long Gray Hair......................Shortish Black Hair
Poncho................................Leather Coat
White-skinned.......................Dark-skinned (from the hands)

Hurt also has a beard, but that could be covered by the skull mask. I don't think that this figure is Hurt, but it could be him in disguise.
For those that haven't seen the action figure follow the following link (the picture is rather large:rolleyes: ):
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wizarduniverse/nytfindy8.jpg

Last edited:

MattJones

sandiegojones said:
Hair cut and color, costume, the eye color visable through the skull. Yes, I'm basing it on the action figure that looks nothing like John Hurt.

The Indy with Bazooka figure looks nothing like Harrison Ford. ;)

(I totally agree with you, but i couldn't help myself)

AHegele

I really hope we see next to nothing in terms of aliens, not because i wouldn't want it to be part of the franchise, but the less we see the greater the suspense.

Mr. Fusion

AHegele said:
I really hope we see next to nothing in terms of aliens, not because i wouldn't want it to be part of the franchise, but the less we see the greater the suspense.

That's what Spielberg has said, but we all know he wanted to make the shark in Jaws scarier in appearance. The damn thing wouldn't work!

Johnny Nys

After seeing the trailer, I think the alien angle might grow on me. Though, deep down, I'll always have a problem with it.

The ark, the stones, the holy grail ... the first time I ever heard of them was in these movies. They were original concepts, at least to me.

Aliens are the exact opposite.

The movie and television watching public has been bombarded with alien stories these past decades. While I still respect their talents as moviemakers, I have a heard time accepting that yet another manifestation of the alien story can be fresh enough not to bring out a "been there, done that" feeling in the audience, even if it's wrapped up in an Indiana Jones setting.

Here's how seeing aliens in movies went in my experience:

- E.T. and Close Encounters, cool, hadn't seen that before.
- Stargate. Interesting new concept, though the series kind of stretched it.
- X-Files, okay for the first couple of seasons, though got totally drained in the end.
- Independence Day and new War of the Worlds, cool visuals but basically the same old invasion story.
- Roswell, never really watched it because I was already getting tired of aliens.
- Signs, appropriately creepy but not much new under the sun.
- The Forgotten, oh no not aliens again!

And then I haven't mentioned Mars Attacks!, Evolution, Men in Black and all the other alien centered comedies, as well as the old classics that air on TV now and then like the original War of the Worlds, Invasion from Mars, etc.

Then there are UFO documentaries, abduction stories, Area 51 reports, it all keeps on coming. Aliens are "everywhere" in our culture and to me, that totally removes the mystery.

But that doesn't mean the action and adventure won't be up to par. I'll totally enjoy those aspects of this new movie, I'm sure of it.

xVendetta17x

I just don't think that they will actually be that big of a deal
I think that they'll be there as a kind of background story and that'll be the extent of them