Fate of Atlantis Remake

Teke

In the last days, I was wondering... Why didn´t they just remake Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? I mean, that would be great! The exactly same game, but in 3D and with new graphics... And if they put the Harrison Ford voice in it that would rock. Maybe with another interface if they doesn´t want to use SCUMM.

There are a lot of games that has been remaked, for example the King´s Quest.

I surely would buy that, because FOA is my favourite game of all time.
What do you think?

IndyBuff

I actually think a re-release would work even better. I think Fate of Altantis is perfect just the way it is but unfortunately it's not readily available anymore. I think if LucasArts put it out again it would help give a whole new generation of gamers and Indy fans a chance to play this wonderful game.:)

Teke

Yes, sure... I would like to buy this game, but I can´t find it anywere here in Argentina...
So, a re-release could be good as well... but a remake with newer graphics... oh man, only thinking on that... And with a new soundtrack... Well, dreaming is free :p

IndyBuff

That might not be a bad idea either. Just touching up the graphics and cleaning up the sound a little bit might be pretty cool. I'm really surprised LucasArts hasn't considered doing this by now. Fate of Atlantis is a classic and the audience for it is still out there in a strong force.:whip:

IrishLuck1980

Yeah. Not sure why LucasArts bowed out of the Graphic Adventure genre. They were Kings and Indiana was their prize. But yeah, a updated FOA would be great with Spear of Destiny right next to it.

IAdventurer01

If more than a re-release, it should be a major overhaul, while keeping the same feel. Needs to remain an adventure game for sure, using a tweaked SCUMM engine preferably. No real jumping puzzles, lots of dialogue, same soundtrack except performed by orchestra, and a comparable number of battles but with a ET style combat system. Full 3d is allowed, but perhaps even make it point-and-click.

But, frankly, I'd rather they just keep it the way it is. If it ain't broke, well, you know.

Finn

Staff member
René Belloq said:
Can someone please help me with the demo? How do you get past the drunk Nazi who crashed his car? :confused:
Start by searching the car carefully, and double check all you find.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Grizzlor said:
Don't forget the Fate of Atlantis fan-brewed game, Fountain of Youth, by these guys...technically kind of a remake/sequel to FOA

Actually FoY is set before FoA.

Katarn07

Not only are remakes of games rare, adventure games aren't really in any more. LEC cancelled production on Full Throttle 2 and Sam and Max 2 because of that. I don't think they'd waste the Indy license on another adventure game only to go back and cancel it. Action games are really the way to go.

If you like FoA, play it as it originally released. I didn't grow up in the golden age of adventure gaming yet I managed to enjoy some of them. I gotta admit I did get fed up with FoA and quit. The voice acting was corny and the story wasn't interesting enough. It was good in its day, but I've been spoiled by 21st century games.

IAdventurer01

Katarn07 said:
Not only are remakes of games rare, adventure games aren't really in any more. LEC cancelled production on Full Throttle 2 and Sam and Max 2 because of that. I don't think they'd waste the Indy license on another adventure game only to go back and cancel it. Action games are really the way to go.

I dunno, I think that adventure games still have a lot of life left. As far as I'm concerned, Sam and Max 2 has been made, by the way. Telltale Games, anyone?
From what I've read, telltale is doing pretty well for itself. The adventure genre is just dead because Lucasarts is making it so.

IAdventurer01 said:
The adventure genre is just dead because Lucasarts is making it so.

They're too busy making the next Indy game:

indy.jpg

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The new S&M game by TTG is not Sam & Max 2. It's a separate game with the same characters, but has nothing to do with the original Sam & Max: Hit the Road except they both use the same characters by Steve Purcell.

And they aren't busy making the next Indy game, they are just busy creating their über-kewl engines and lame Star Wars games.

Katarn07

IAdventurer01 said:
I dunno, I think that adventure games still have a lot of life left. As far as I'm concerned, Sam and Max 2 has been made, by the way. Telltale Games, anyone?
From what I've read, telltale is doing pretty well for itself. The adventure genre is just dead because Lucasarts is making it so.

Yes, Telltale is a bunch of ex-LEC employees and other adventure game enthusiasts who realize those characters make for great gaming. I'm not getting the episodes. I think that's a dumb marketing ploy. From what I hear, they're all too short. If and when season 1 is released for a reasonable price, I'll get that. And that really has nothing to do with them releasing Indy as an adventure game. Like I said, adventure gaming isn't in anymore, and LEC won't release another one in the near future.

IAdventurer01

Katarn07 said:
I'm not getting the episodes. I think that's a dumb marketing ploy.

Me neither, and I agree that it is a marketing thing. I, too, am waiting for the season. The plan is to release the season, I believe - and that the season has a central story that unravels throughout the very short episodes.

Katarn07 said:
And that really has nothing to do with them releasing Indy as an adventure game.

I'm sorry, wasn't your argument that adventure games in general aren't popular anymore, so in turn another adventure game wouldn't be popular? I was just trying to offer counter-proof.

That being said, I have no problem with the action-oriented Indy games. I just hope they remember throw in adventure game elements that make Indy somewhat of an archeologist, not just man who would use a bulldozer to find a china cup.