Excercise Question

Onya

This is going to sound awfully off-topic and incredibly stupid (even for me ;) ), but I've been wondering this for a couple of days now. I've asked a couple of people--but they have mixed opinions. ... Maybe we're all stupid...

Anyway, when you're exercising--do you get a better result if you do all the work at once? Or does it really matter? What I mean is (say, push-ups for ex.), if you do twenty push-ups every hour for five hours as opposed to 100 consecutive push-ups...

Does the latter yield better results or is your work compounded so it does not matter either way?

Tennessee R

No, it's not stupid.
How old are you? If you are under 17, then:
20 push-ups every hour or
100 push-ups linked.

The latter is better for you.
You will probably not get stronger by doing this, but your endurance, or, the length you can work out at increasingly greuling rates will increase.
You see, by getting worked up by doing many reps (repetitions), then, the cardiovascular side will benefit more. (Your heart will be stronger.)

If you are older, then, it doesn't matter as much.

in another example,
lift 30 pound weights 10 times,
Or 10 pound weights 30 times.

Do the latter as fast as you can, and build up a pounding heart.
Also, until about a certain year of age, your bones are still getting stronger, you don't want to put a ton of stress on them and risk damaging them.

So, if you are older, I guess it doesn't matter as much, but you aren't older, right?
Hope this helps.

Raffey

It's the quality of your workout that counts not how many or how often. Doing it the ways you describe may result in injury or overtraining.

You should strive to achieve perfect form in each exercise and really concentrate on the area that you are working out. Your body will tell you if you done enough.

There are only so many pushups or bicep curls you can do before it is no longer beneficial or productive.

Lot of rest helps too...between workouts I mean not during. :D

Tennessee R

Well, I got this from a book written by Arnold Shwarzenneger, so, it should work. (At least it worked fo him) :D

No, I'm (or Arnold) is not saying to 'lift till you drop'. Just want to clarify that.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Anerobic exercise is better for you than aerobic exercise. Take a walk, ride a bike (not Armstrong style), swim for a while, shoot some hoops, play some catch, paint a house, paint a fence, play with your son or daughter, wash a car, (mine preferably) throw a frisbee, play some golf, bowl, mow the lawn, chop some wood, weed my garden...

you get the idea. ;)

Onya

You guys mistake my question for something I'm doing. Happens a lot. Don't worry. I just have weird questions that randomly pop out (like do funerals have to be in the morning? Can they be on weekends?--Or, exactly how far do you have to stick your finger down your throat? Are you supposed to use two? (Now asking <i>that</i> last year was stupid, I admit. My friends were staring at me, looking like they were going to call a psychiatric (sp? VP? :D) facility because I was 94 pounds (edit: less than Short Round! And six inches taller!) at the time...))--I completely lack commonsense when it comes to random questions--and I only have one friend that actually understands that. But he's not around anymore, so...

And VP? You've seriously got to stop that.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Why? (And don't answer "Because I said so, that's why".)

Psychiatric was the correct spelling.

You people should play FoA more. That's how I learned English.

Onya

VP said:
Why? (And don't answer "Because I said so, that's why".)

Because you're making us look bad. A Finn knowing better English than an American. ;)

You people should play FoA more. That's how I learned English.

So if I watch Amelie enough, I'll know my French?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Onya said:
So if I watch Amelie enough, I'll know my French?

Maybe. Try to watch it without subtitles twenty times in a row. When you begin to understand, then you know the basics. ;)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Enough many to write three walkthroughs of it in Finnish from my memory.

But back on topic.

Onya

(Ilick.)

Right, anyway.

(But can you really go off-topic in an off-topic thread? :D)

Thanks all for yer wise words of... uh... visedom.

Ska

VP said:
Enough many to write three walkthroughs of it in Finnish from my memory.

But back on topic.

Enough many? Microsoft Word would be underlining that phrase for sure! Sorry to stray from the topic, but I couldn't resist!

Don't worry. I read what I typed above about 100 times for any errors.

Just havin' fun wit' ya'!

Ska

Finn

Staff member
It does not, if you have the Finnish spell correction settings or have 'em turned off (like the case is with me - drivin' me jeebies, that preference).

I didn't learn English by playing FoA, though... same goes with those other four foreign languages I know.

And VP... you <i>don't</i> have to nitpick every damn spelling mistake. Most of those are human things to do, and nobody's perfect. (Not even you.)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Who said that I'm a human?[color="DDB88C"]<small>I'm starting to sound like intergamer.</small>[/color]

I don't correct every mistake, just the ones that are disturbing me.