Australia becomes Americanized

A

Aussie Jones

In Australia we are bombarded with American movies, televison, and music. Although I have not been to the U.S.A. I feel like I have. I'm not complaining about this, there are very talented people in the U.S.

I was just wondering if people from the U.S.A. know anything about Australia?

monkey

I've been to your country.

Australia is a great country, with great people who really made us welcome when I visited there in 1992/93.

I visited Geralton on the west coast, and then Melbourne in the south. I had the most fun New Years eve party ever at Murchison's Tavern in Geralton.

Rick5150

Well, Paul Hogan, Hugh Jackman, Steve Irwin...G'day mate. Shrimp on the barbee, and crack a tinnee. Australia is awesome. Here is the only non-Indy hat I own (and I have 5 more hats that are from Australia!) It was taken a few years ago I think. I would love to visit some day.

DundeeRick01282004-006.jpg.w180h213.jpg

intergamer

Truth be told, globalized American mass media only reflects on a small segment of American culture. On the other hand, I feel like I've been to Australia simply based on my exposure to primary and secondary sources.

Going off tangentially, The Last Continent, by the British author Terry Pratchett, from his discworld series, is a great book. It satires "last continent", which is called Fourecks and based on Australia.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Aussie Jones said:
In Australia we are bombarded with American movies, televison, and music. Although I have not been to the U.S.A. I feel like I have. I'm not complaining about this, there are very talented people in the U.S.

well, I uhhhhhh ........................ ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm .............. I uh ................ I know that their socccer team is crap

:D sorry, couldn't resist

monkey

Maybe, but the beer drinking team is undefeated.

Victoria Bitter, and Fosters.

Hmmmmm (Homer Simpson's voice)............Australia.

I only know they produce the best hat that Ren has owned in over 20 years. I know we ship hats all over the world and supprisingly many many to UK sometimes 10 a week and have never sent one to Australia.

I would like to know more about Australia. What can you share with us . That australian idol guy seems as if he could sing well.

Are there any of the natives still there in the bush ?

blur

Re: Re: Australia becomes Americanized

00Kevin said:
well, I uhhhhhh ........................ ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm .............. I uh ................ I know that their socccer team is crap

:D sorry, couldn't resist

Is it? We've beaten England. Has the US national side done that?

blur

Further, a number of well-known international players are Australian. Again, I can't seem to recall ever hearing about a US player of international class.

These two posts aren't supposed to be a US bash, but if you want to jump up and say that our soccer team is "crap", I suggest you look in your own backyard first - and also have some idea about the game before you comment.

IndyMcFly

blur said:
Is it? We've beaten England. Has the US national side done that?

And you guys have a good rugby team, too! Congrats to the Wallabees (sp?) on beating the New Zealand Allblacks! I'm a fan of the South Africa Springboks, because my dad is South African, and if they beat the Allblacks, I think they'll play the Wallabees (sp? II: Return of the Typo?).

In Christ,
Shane

IndyMcFly

I'm a Raiders fan too... but not those Raiders. And I'm sure you do know this, but just in case, I'd like to clarify for others that rugby is not the same as football. ;)

In Christ, (that does have significant meaning to me, you know... it's not just a fun little thing to put at the end... check out my LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/vanquish738/)
Shane

Kate

I have a friend from Australia that i met this summer and she didn't seem American to me in the least. She made fun of American people and American culture and spoke differently, acted differently, and was intersted in completely different things than Americans. She said she "didn't understand the U.S." But that's just my two cents.

IndyBlues

Well I know you guys have that whole post-apocolyptic thing going on over there, fighting biker gangs for the little gasoline that is left in all of Oz. You got that guy Mad Max kickin' butt with that awesome super charged AMC Javelin.
Beware, the mighty, and all powerful Humongous!!!

Just kidding, I think Australia is awesome! It's been on my "Got to go to" list since I was a wee lad. Someday(sigh)
'Blues

BTW, gotta love Fosters.
"Fosters. Australian for (gigantic can of) Beer"

Last edited:

whipem

all I know about Australia is what I've learned from Crocodile Hunter, Outback Steakhouse, and Kangaroo Jack.

I really want to visit though. First, I'll try to learn the accent and lingo, so I'm don't look like an ignorant Yank.