Infernal Machine on the Playstation...

peterlally

Probably because it was late in the Day for the PS1 when they were developing it. The PS2 came out 12-18 Months later. Probably for the same reason the new IJ game will be next Gen.

|ZiR|

Wow. I never knew that there was meant to be a PSX edition of the game, but it really blows that they never went through with it. No fair. :(

This thread made me curious about the fate of Infernal Machine on PSX, so I did a search and found this bit of news.

IGN said:
September 29, 1998 - PlayStation's next big LucasArts game, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, is beginning to take form. IGNPSX was able to secure new information on the game's storyline as well as info on what kinds of levels the game will include.

As with the Indiana Jones movies, Infernal Machine puts Indy in the position of saving the world during the early to mid part of the twentieth century. In this case, the game is set specifically in 1947 at the beginning of the Cold War, and Indy must prevent the Soviets from attaining information that would enable to them to construct a weapon so powerful it would disrupt world power.

The player will embark on a full 3D, polygonal adventure, much like the Tomb Raider series, to prevent the Soviets from harnessing the secrets of the Tower of Babel. As in the early '90s PC game, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, Jones will team up with Sophia Hapgood in 17 different levels of puzzling adventures involving mine carts, jeep rides, and white-water rafting.

Indiana will use weapons including the classic whip, revolver, and several kinds of explosives.

Much thanks to Next Generation magazine for this information. See Next Generation issue 46 for a complete preview on LucasArts' full lineup for 1998 and 1999.

Here's the picture that accompanied that article. I've never played IM, so I can't determine whether or not it's from the N64 game or an early PS shot.

What I REALLY want to know is how far they got on it. How near completion were they before the project was ultimately scrapped. When were we (the public) informed that IM would not be coming to PSX, as originally stated?

I also came across this strange post on adventuregamers forums. Its from 2006. I've bolded the relevent part.

nikoniko said:
01-14-2006, 12:01 AM
I guess I'm the only person who never had any problem running this under XP. Didn't have to change compatibility settings or anything - it just worked. But yeah, since for most people there is no easy way to play IM on XP, this is one of those cases where it's a good idea to have either a dual-boot configuration with Windows 98 and XP or another machine with 98 on it.

IM was also released for Playstation, so if nothing else works, you could pick up a cheapo used copy of the Playstation version and play it in a good Playstation emulator. Back before I had my own PS, I used to play many PS games under Bleem with no problems.

Obviously this person is confused, misremembering; whatever. But it does make me wonder. Was there ever a demo of the PSX game? :confused:

|ZiR| said:
Wow. I never knew that there was meant to be a PSX edition of the game, but it really blows that they never went through with it. No fair. :(

This thread made me curious about the fate of Infernal Machine on PSX, so I did a search and found this bit of news.

Here's the picture that accompanied that article. I've never played IM, so I can't determine whether or not it's from the N64 game or an early PS shot.

What I REALLY want to know is how far they got on it. How near completion were they before the project was ultimately scrapped. When were we (the public) informed that IM would not be coming to PSX, as originally stated?

I also came across this strange post on adventuregamers forums. Its from 2006. I've bolded the relevent part.

Obviously this person is confused, misremembering; whatever. But it does make me wonder. Was there ever a demo of the PSX game? :confused:

Yes, part of my reason for asking was in hopes that maybe a demo or an early build had leaked.

I have seen the article you posted though. It was one of the few things a Google search turned up. I actually remembered the planned PSX version from when it was first announced. I think I had read about it in some magazine at the school library back during my Middle School days. Any rate, I had a very clear memory of it being announced for the PSX and then never surfacing. I just bought a used PSX the other day and have been buying up the old Tomb Raider games which is what renewed my curiosity on the lost version of Infernal Machine.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=3087

Just turned up that review in which they speculate that they game was just too ambitious for the Playstation. I hesitate to believe that though...

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
|ZiR| said:
I've never played IM, so I can't determine whether or not it's from the N64 game or an early PS shot.
One thing's for sure, that Snake Ark wasn't in the PC version.

|ZiR|

VP said:
One thing's for sure, that Snake Ark wasn't in the PC version.

Ah! So it could've been either a PS exclusive or simply an early build. Interesting.

Well, gang, I've been looking but I haven't been able to find anymore info regarding the sad fate of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine for Playstation. I doubt that a demo was ever released to the public, 'cause IJ has a very strong* fanbase and I think we would have heard something of it before now, on the myriad sources for Indy across the Internet.

Such a pity. Maybe you could try contacting LucasArts about it. It's a stretch, I know. Still, nothing given, nothing gained. Worst case senario is that you'll get back an automated e-mail saying that they have no information on the game. Hmm, what might be a better idea would be to look up the people/teams who worked on the N64/PC version, and see if there's anyway of contacting them. If anyone knows what happened, they do.

(*CRAZY)