Composer: Frédéric Talgorn

Demitasse

Greetings All!
Sorry for not posting this under the soundtracks section, but I wanted to introduce myself. This is my first post to these boards, although I have benefitted from all of your discussions, recommendations and Stoo's youtube channel for a while now. (Nice one, Stoo! Always wanted to tell you that.)

Anyway-
InexorableTrash- I had a look at your great music site. To it, you can also add the sound clips that Frédéric Talgorn put on his site for "Trenches of Hell". He has about three files here from the Somme episode:
http://www.frederictalgorn.com/filmography.html

My favorite musical sequence in the entire series happens to be the part right at the end of the episode where Indy, saved by the train, is making his escape into the German countryside on his bike. So great and uplifting... I would REALLY love to find a decent recording of that piece not marred by the train noise. That's my hope anyway! :)

Regarding Talgorn's compositions for the Somme and Germany episodes, I found this on his bio page:

A little later [Talgorn] is signed to compose the music of two episodes from the INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES. Nearly 50 minutes of music must be written in 12 days. The two episodes, SOMME and ALLEMAGNE-1917 are recorded in Munich. He also composes the music of a third episode, PARIS 1908, which is not used:

"Joel McNeely was originally committed to do it. He made the spotting session with George Lucas. At one point, Laurence Rosenthal and Joel McNeely realized that they would not have enough time to make all the episodes and they asked me to finish the three episodes, including PARIS 1908. They did not want to do a new spotting session with me for PARIS 1908. The spotting was done and I wrote the music from the notes of Joel McNeely, which is a thing that I will never do again, because they is very dangerous. The proof is that the result was not what they wanted." (7)

All the best to you folks and I look forward to actively joining the discussions!!

Stoo

Hi, Demitasse (can I call you Half Cup?;)). Are you from France? Thanks for the kind words and welcome to The Raven!:hat:

Nice finds. Unfortunately, out of all the tracks we've unearthed in the "Soundtracks" thread, the bicycle escape from Germany is not one of them. There is a clean version of the credits, though.

InexorableTash

Demitasse said:
InexorableTrash- I had a look at your great music site. To it, you can also add the sound clips that Frédéric Talgorn put on his site for "Trenches of Hell". He has about three files here from the Somme episode:
http://www.frederictalgorn.com/filmography.html

Quite a way to make an entrance!

Awesome find. I can't believe I missed that. (In my defense, it looks like the site went live some time in 2009.)

I'll get youngindianajonesmusic.com and the spreadsheet updated ASAP. (BTW, you can finally type that URL without the "www")

T.E.Lawrence

InexorableTash said:
Quite a way to make an entrance!

Awesome find. I can't believe I missed that. (In my defense, it looks like the site went live some time in 2009.)

I'll get youngindianajonesmusic.com and the spreadsheet updated ASAP. (BTW, you can finally type that URL without the "www")

Wow.Thank you Demiatasse.This is simply amazing. Just listening.

Also great thanks to InexorableTash for alerting me about links. Thank you so much Tash.

What a music. Indy had such a brilliant production - even compared with today TV series, Indy is still a unique treasure.

InexorableTash

"Suspense" is the same as the track we'd identified as "Tunnel / Behind the German Lines", present in LEGO Indiana Jones as the file RA_CAFERAVEN_B_QUI. The track on Talgorn's site is slightly longer and lacks ambience. It is compressed to a slightly lower bit rate, however.

I believe the other two ("Main Title - Somme" and "To the Battle") are new.

Are there any French speakers out there that would mind using the "comment" feature on Mr. Talgorn's site to ask him if he would mind sharing a track list for the rest of the episode? (Alas, I'm from the redneck part of Canada.)

Demitasse

Thanks all for the kind words of welcome! Alas I too, like Tash and Stoo, am a Canucklehead but my French composition skills are not so great. I agree that it would be good to approach Msr. Talgorn for a track list of his compositions for those episodes. Based on his excerpt discussing YIJC I wonder if he is bitter about his commissions experience for those episodes?? Anyway, never hurts to reach out.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
"Suspense" is the same as the track we'd identified as "Tunnel / Behind the German Lines", present in LEGO Indiana Jones as the file RA_CAFERAVEN_B_QUI. The track on Talgorn's site is slightly longer and lacks ambience. It is compressed to a slightly lower bit rate, however.
Tash, maybe the "Tunnel / Behind the German Lines" track name should be changed to "Suspense"?:confused: You say that the "Suspense" track was at a lower bit rate. Were you able to download it? (To me, they all sounded good but I couldn't download any of them!:()
InexorableTash said:
I believe the other two ("Main Title - Somme" and "To the Battle") are new.
Speaking for all fans of Young Indy music, Demitasse has done us a great service. There is definitely NEW music in those samples! AWESOME find, Demitasse!(y)
InexorableTash said:
Are there any French speakers out there that would mind using the "comment" feature on Mr. Talgorn's site to ask him if he would mind sharing a track list for the rest of the episode? (Alas, I'm from the redneck part of Canada.)
Demitasse said:
Thanks all for the kind words of welcome! Alas I too, like Tash and Stoo, am a Canucklehead but my French composition skills are not so great. I agree that it would be good to approach Msr. Talgorn for a track list of his compositions for those episodes. Based on his excerpt discussing YIJC I wonder if he is bitter about his commissions experience for those episodes?? Anyway, never hurts to reach out.
Inexorable Tash and Demitasse: Any questions you have for Talgorn, I can translate them for you.

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Tash, maybe the "Tunnel / Behind the German Lines" track name should be changed to "Suspense"?

At least in my personal collection, I'm using "Suspense" as the track name. Logic: might as well honor the composer, and it helps in cases where the source track has been sliced & diced. I follow this precedent for the Bramson tracks as well. The spreadsheet distinguishes Source from Scene, so the latter can remain descriptive of what's going on in the episode.

As an aside, the reason I tend to suggest quotes for track names is that they're objectively linked to a time range in the episode, rather than a subjective description. Mostly. :)

Back on topic:

I've identified "To the Battle" - it is split up in the episode into:

0:00-0:47 - "Advance to the German Lines" (DVD time index ~ 0:16:50)
0:47-end - "We Fight Together" (DVD time index ~ 0:10:18)

(Dang, reverse order. Ah well...)

However, the seemingly easy "Main Title Somme" is eluding me. It bears a lot of similarities to the main title (duh) but doesn't seem to be a match. I wonder if it was used for the broadcast and a different version was used for the movie edit. Stoo, would you be so kind as to check?

(And no, I don't know why our DVD time indexes are so far off. Whether I use VLC or the built-in players on Mac or Windows I get consistent numbers! They generally start with 0:00:00 when Mt. Paramount fades in)

Stoo said:
You say that the "Suspense" track was at a lower bit rate. Were you able to download it? (To me, they all sounded good but I couldn't download any of them!:()

If you use a browser like Chrome or Safari (or Firefox w/ Firebug) you can pop open a debug console and watch the resources being fetched over HTTP, like the MP3 files. This will give you the direct URL to download such things.

Stoo said:
Inexorable Tash and Demitasse: Any questions you have for Talgorn, I can translate them for you.

Here's slightly modified text, based on an email I sent to Bramson (no response yet, *sigh*):

Me said:
Greetings!

A few fans have been working on an unofficial fan/tribute page for the music of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series. You can find it at:

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/

It has details about the series, episodes, music, soundtrack releases, and terribly inadequate descriptions of each of the composers and their contributions:

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/composers

We're big fans of your work, and dismayed that your excellent score for "Trenches of Hell" was not included in in the soundtrack releases in the early 1990s. We've been trying to piece together a track list by watching the film, but it's obviously not complete and we've had to make up most of the track names ourselves:

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/08-trenches-of-hell

We've discovered that parts of your score were used for bonus material on the DVD release, and also in video games, so there are a few bits for us to enjoy, as well as the 3 short samples you have on your site. While this isn't the official soundtrack release we'd hope for, it's great to be able to hear at least part of your score.

Primarily, we'd like to just say "thank you!" for your work. Even though the series is nearly 20 years old at this point, it has one of the greatest and most varied scores of any television serial and featured some of the most talented composers. We wish there were more, but appreciate what you gave us despite the difficulties you experienced on the project.

If you have a chance to look at our Web site and if you see anything on the site that is incorrect or could be expanded - details on the "composers" page, for example - please let me know and I'll correct it immediately.

And on the odd chance that you happen to have any details you'd wish to share about either the experience, corrections to the track names, etc, they'd be greatly appreciated. We'd love to hear more samples some day, if you are able to share them.

Thanks again for your excellent work, and best wishes,

Edits/suggestions/etc appreciated.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
However, the seemingly easy "Main Title Somme" is eluding me. It bears a lot of similarities to the main title (duh) but doesn't seem to be a match. I wonder if it was used for the broadcast and a different version was used for the movie edit. Stoo, would you be so kind as to check?
Maybe the reason you couldn't identify it in the "Somme" episode is because it's not from there! It is actually from "Germany, Mid-August 1916". Details to follow in our Soundtracks thread...
InexorableTash said:
(And no, I don't know why our DVD time indexes are so far off. Whether I use VLC or the built-in players on Mac or Windows I get consistent numbers! They generally start with 0:00:00 when Mt. Paramount fades in)
I don't why our time-codes differ either but when doing a comparison, I play the DVDs on my TV while running the audio track in question on my computer. (The Paramount logo starts at 0:00 on the TV...Very odd that we don't have the same numbers.)
InexorableTash said:
Edits/suggestions/etc appreciated.
Been meaning to help you with that but have been too distracted.;) Anyway, hats off to Mr. Demitasse because he's led us to some NEW tracks!:hat: