TOD POll :Outcast?

Part or Not?

• Yes

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

ExpeditionJones

I'm sorry if there are other threads like this. My search function doesn't work.

I have a friend who claims that TOD was severely outcast by fans. Now, I know that it may be the weakest (IMO), but I haven't seen many people who outcast it, or don't consider it part of the quadrilogy (which is what he's saying).

So, do you consider it part of the quadrilogy?

sandiegojones

It's second best in my opinion! KOTCS and LC are tied for third. I think TOD has the best soundtrack (other than the main Raiders March from ROTLA) and is the funniest.

Deckard

First yes, this thread comes around like once a month when someone shows up and didnt like Temple for w.e reason.

Outcast? Hell no.

Look, They establish a very... in the desert, fighting nazis feel between Raiders and Last Crusade, and alot of people like Temple least of the 3 because it strays and is a prequel too. But outcast, no way.

It's actually quickly becoming my 2nd fav over Last Crusade.

Not everyone who does, but alot of people who love Crusade, I call them the casual fans, bcuz they tend to be in love with it because of Sean Connery and the humor.

I like Raiders most because its the original and very iconic.

But Temple is just as Iconic as Raiders. People think Indy, they think the boulder chasing him and natives, and they think mine carts and heart ripping and rope bridges.

Now with KotCS out, thats the bastard child. Its made me embrace Temple all that much more. But I never hated it and alot of peple here will agree, its a very solid, good Indy adventure. I mean who doesn't know and love Shortround.

Deckard

sandiegojones said:
That's what people said about TOD. I think over time people will accept KOTCS like they have with TOD.

Well I always liked Temple, but those who didnt, maybe when Skull came out it made the stunts in Temple look more possible/feasible and better by default.

If that means we need an even more over the top crazy Indy 5 to make Skull acceptable, I'll pass.

But like I said earlier since I've been able to edit out the nuke on DVD, Crystal Skull hasn't bothered me as much.

Darth Vile

I personally find TOD to be the weakest Indiana Jones movie, and also (in Sesame Street style), it's the one least like the other three.

That said, it's clearly still an Indiana Jones movie and has many great moments (if not as many as the other three)...

Sankara

TOD is a masterpiece. Sure, it's not as great as "Raiders" but it is still great. Yes, the "plane jump scene" is over the top... but there are so many great parts in this movie. And: Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones in this movie.

So, of course is "Temple" part of the Indy-Trilogy. In many ways this movie is more "Indy" than Crusade...

I'm very happy about the fact that "Skull" is the bastard child of the Indy-Movies now.

Now we got a fantastic Indy-Trilogy!!! And a bastard child... who cares!!!

Darth Vile

Sankara said:
TOD is a masterpiece. Sure, it's not as great as "Raiders" but it is still great. Yes, the "plane jump scene" is over the top... but there are so many great parts in this movie. And: Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones in this movie.

So, of course is "Temple" part of the Indy-Trilogy. In many ways this movie is more "Indy" than Crusade...

I'm very happy about the fact that "Skull" is the bastard child of the Indy-Movies now.

Now we got a fantastic Indy-Trilogy!!! And a bastard child... who cares!!!

To believe that TOD is a "masterpiece" (in an empirical sense) demonstrates than your perception, critical analysis, and understanding of cinema is somewhat skewed my friend.

Forbidden Eye

It absolutely is an Indiana Jones movie.

Some of Indy's most iconic moments are in that movie. I can't imagine Indiana Jones without Club Obi-Won, the spike room(with the infamous scene where he just barely gets his hat), the mine cart rase or the rope bride. Not to mention it also expanded on the locations Indy has visited.

I hope if Indy 5 is made, they explore that region more, or a different region all-together, as the middle-east and south america have been done to death now.

Benraianajones

Yes I do. If you look at it, it is the same as the others anyway. Object of desire, searched for, gotten, race through the mines in carts, finale - with Mola Ram dying because of the object they desire.He grabs it, it burns, he falls. Indy saves the day.

I like your avatar, The_Man! There are quite a few corpse's for avatars at the moment, I feel left out.

The Man

Benraianajones said:
I like your avatar, The_Man! There are quite a few corpse's for avatars at the moment, I feel left out.

Yeah, they're quite striking. You should wait for the Dovchenko ant-attack avatar. Should be dreamy...(y)

Crusade>Raiders

I love ToD now. Kingdom made me appericate just how good this movie is. It had odd pacing, blatant racism, an annoying female lead, and a few too many slapstick moments. But its also really awesome all the same, especially the last 30+ mins.

Weakest of the trilogy, but thats only because the other two are so damn good.

deckard24

Yeah there are definitely plenty of TOD threads, but who cares let's have one more! Besides, you've linked it to KOTCS so it's more relevant!

Is TOD an outcast...not a chance!! For me it is my second favorite film in the series behind Raiders! Is it as good as LC in overall quality, not really, but it still edges it out in my opinion because it feels fresher and not a rehash of Raiders!

1.Raiders of the Lost Ark

2.Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

3.Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4.Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

James

TOD was considered a disappointment back in the 80's, but it was never in danger of being excluded from the series. None of the films have been.

When LC was released, it was considered a huge improvement over TOD. However, by the late 90's, it had also come under fire for being too light and campy. Many fans hated the way Sallah and Marcus were depicted, and the fact that it was such a retread of ROTLA.

The end result is that it's now a toss-up as to which sequel people rank last. For example, many of the worst KOTCS reviews still regarded TOD or LC as being a lesser film.

Personally, I've always loved TOD. But then, I also fall into that demographic of fans that grew up with it. So it's interesting to note how public opinion of the series has changed over the decades. Today it's not that unusual to see someone ranking LC above ROTLA- something that was almost unheard of back in the early 90's.