Agent Z

Only the following has been approved by the beards as canon:
ROTLA2600.jpg

Crack that whip

Agent Z said:
Only the following has been approved by the beards as canon:
ROTLA2600.jpg

LOVE It! :D :D :D

I actually had the Raiders of the Lost Ark game for my Atari VCS back in the day, and I finished it in 11 days. I was so proud. I loved the game, even though it took some major liberties with the movie (then again, it could hardly do otherwise, given the VCS/2600's limitations).

Vance

Ah, yes, the Atari 2600 version.

"Remember the scene where Indy jumps off the cliff, opens a parachute, and finds the Ark?"

DrHapgood

The big question about FoA is which storyline is the Canon one. You have the games and the comics...

IMHO, the Teamwork path of the game is the Canon one. The Comic Adaptation takes too many liberties and I don't believe in many of the changes they make. For example, the God Machine obviously never worked at all in the Comic, while it does to some extent in the Game.

The one point that I do take as Canon from the Comic is that after the ordeal, Sophia publishes her Atlantis paper which garners her a fully tenured professorship. Considering the game doesn't get this far, I tend to assume the Comic got Sophia's return to Academia right since she goes back on expeditions prior to joining the CIA.

The Tingler

In general the three paths of the games end up exactly the same way. I'd personally choose Game over Comic every time, as it's just better written! And far more cinematic.

Lao_Che

Vance said:
Ah, yes, the Atari 2600 version.

"Remember the scene where Indy jumps off the cliff, opens a parachute, and finds the Ark?"

"Your persistence surprises even m--" *Jones lands on Belloq* ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Vance said:
Personally, Desktop Adventures and the Atari 2600 versions are the only 'canon'. ^_^

Desktop can be canon in large part, at least atmospherically. Yeah, the bit where he goes off to another planet, or where he finds C3PO's head are problematic, but most of it is acceptable.

Crack that whip

Attila the Professor said:
Desktop can be canon in large part, at least atmospherically. Yeah, the bit where he goes off to another planet, or where he finds C3PO's head are problematic, but most of it is acceptable.

That's kind of spoileriffic for people who haven't played it, isn't it? ;)

This game covers so many quests with different villains and whatnot one could easily make a case for one or two, or perhaps a handful, of possible stories being canonical, while the rest are colorful embellishment of the Indy legend. Which particular quests one might consider canon is up to the individual, of course. I think this should be considered a rather sketchily-defined area in any "official" Indy canon that attempts to include as many things as possible; one can certainly allow for "an adventure in Mexico / Central America in the 1930s," but with no more specificity than that.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Crack that whip said:
That's kind of spoileriffic for people who haven't played it, isn't it? ;)

This game covers so many quests with different villains and whatnot one could easily make a case for one or two, or perhaps a handful, of possible stories being canonical, while the rest are colorful embellishment of the Indy legend. Which particular quests one might consider canon is up to the individual, of course. I think this should be considered a rather sketchily-defined area in any "official" Indy canon that attempts to include as many things as possible; one can certainly allow for "an adventure in Mexico / Central America in the 1930s," but with no more specificity than that.

Heh. I suppose so.

And I quite agree with you, of course, that even if you try to make each of the 15 or so MacGuffins in the game and construct a narrative, on the basis of "give me this and I'll let you fly on my airship" puzzles, isn't really going to work. But I'm willing to buy that he spent some time in that region searching for various artifacts. That's as reasonable as inclusion can get though, of course.

Also, I really thought Dr. Van Loon was a cool villain with a great name.

Dust McAlan

For me, I've always felt that FoA and IF were part of the canon, like the fourth and fifth films. Emperor's Tomb, eh, not so much, but mostly because I got so frustrated with that gaem. :p

The Tingler

To answer the question posed by a recent thread cruelly culled, I think yes. They're certainly important, which is why Indy 4 wasn't about Atlantis.

Ironclaw

I take it that things mentioned in the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones don't necessarily count as being "canon"? It did have a small mention of FoA within.