Emperor's Tomb: Hidden Cinematic?

Yolegoman

A long time ago, some very nice person posted the software needed to extract the voice files from Emperor's Tomb. I ripped them all out, and went through some of them, but didn't find anything of interest... until now.

Almost all of the gaming reviews I have read state the fact that the whole Prague chapter doesn't make much sense in terms of storyline. Just what is the second piece to the Mirror of Dreams doing inside a reanimated giant corpse, anyway? :)

So, I was listening to all of the dialouge from Prague, and what did I come upon except quite a few clips that weren't in the game, but sounded like they went to a cinematic... as if it a cinematic was cut out of the game at the last minute for some stupid reason.

It talked about Operation Leviathon, Beck wanting Indy alive, NOT dead, and having the castle locked up tight...

So, I think the missing piece to the puzzle of Prague is solved.

And, to firm it all up, this is the code from the MO2_Dialouge.txt file in the dialouge folder:
This code is used for the subtitles:

M02: INDY OVERHEARS NAZIS CONVERSING IN LIBRARY
RCR 000 M02 CIN RCR VBK 695 "Sir, my men have been over every inch of this castle, and we have seen no trace of the special item. Are you sure that such an object even exists?" (frustrated)
VBK 006 M02 CIN VBK RCR 006 Are you questioning my orders?
RCR 001 M02 CIN RCR VBK 007 "No, sir. I?"
VBK 007 M02 CIN VBK RCR 008 "Then what is the problem, Lieutenant?"
RCR 002 M02 CIN RCR VBK 009 "My men are trained to kill, Colonel Von Beck, not to rummage through castles looking for buried treasure."
RCR 003 M02 CIN RCR VBK 700 The men have started to hear things in the labyrinths. (quieter voice)
VBK 008 M02 CIN VBK RCR 011 "I am not interested in your superstitious excuses, Richter. At sunrise, I am leaving to oversee our operation in Istanbul."
VBK 009 M02 CIN VBK RCR 012 "If I do not have the second piece of the mirror in my hand by the time I board the train, you will personally explain to the Fuhrer why Operation Leviathan has failed."
RCR 004 M02 CIN RCR VBK 013 "Understood, sir."
VBK 010 M02 CIN VBK RCR 014 Sehr gut. Now what of the American?
RCR 005 M02 CIN RCR VBK 705 We have sealed all the exits. It is only a matter of time before he is found and eliminated.
VBK 011 M02 CIN VBK RCR 016 "I want Dr. Jones taken alive, Richter."
RCR 006 M02 CIN RCR VBK 017 Alive!? (incredulous)
VBK 012 M02 CIN VBK RCR 018 The doctor is an old friend. I will not be denied the pleasure of a final conversation.
RCR 007 M02 CIN RCR VBK 019 "Yes, sir."

So, we have 2 options:

This is a movie that is played before you start the Library level in Prague, and was deleted;

or, this is a movie you can watch if you go to a certain place in the library or the level before it.

If it was a movie that was deleted, then it we have no hope. I'm dead sure the movie was not included in the Pc game, as such, we can't replace it. We need to start fooling around in the Library and level before that to see if it is played somewhere in there.

I'm gonna look around. See what you guys can find out! :)

Edit: Found this also:

CUT SCENE ID: M02D
M02: RICHTER CONFRONTS INDY IN THE ALCHEMIST'S LAB
RCR 008 M02 CIN RCR IDY 035 It seems this chase has finally come to an end. Did you know that fool Von Beck wants you alive?
IDY 029 M02 CIN IDY RCR 036 I knew there was something I liked about that guy.
RCR 009 M02 CIN RCR IDY 037 However? (loads gun)
IDY 030 M02 CIN IDY RCR 038 Hey?
RCR 010 M02 CIN RCR IDY 039 I?m thinking that you were shot while trying to escape. Couldn?t be avoided. (aims gun at Indy's head)
RCR 011 M02 CIN RCR IDY 040 "Ja, that sounds believable."
IDY 031 M02 CIN IDY RCR 041 Don?t you want to ask me what I know about Operation Leviathan? (scrambles for ideas)
RCR 012 M02 CIN RCR IDY 042 "Dead men don?t talk, Dr. Jones."
RCR 013 M02 CIN RCR 043 Aaaaarrrggghh!!! (choked by Homonculus)

-Yolego

[Edited by Yolegoman on 12-27-2003 at 07:30 am]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
This is very intriguing, I'd like to hear anything else you come across.

I took a look at the files myself, and it seems worth noting that I was unable to find any files for the "Richter" character, which may indicate that the cinematic does not exist. But still, keep looking.

Yolegoman

Dialouge_Speakers.txt

ID English Name
Speaker CHN Ch?in Shi-Huang-ti
Speaker FT1 Feng Twin
Speaker FT2 Feng Twin
Speaker GOA Agent
Speaker GPA PA Voice
Speaker HMS Homunculus
Speaker IDY Indy
Speaker IHR Hunter
Speaker KAI Kai
Speaker KAP Kai
Speaker MYG Mei Ying
Speaker MYP Mei Ying
Speaker PGD Guard
Speaker RCR Richter
Speaker SSO SS Colonel
Speaker SSS SS Soldier
Speaker TGL Ghoul
Speaker TGT Grunt
Speaker TMY Mercenary
Speaker VBK Von Beck
Speaker WHN Wu Han
Speaker WTR Waiter
Speaker GA2 Gestapo Agent 2

Also found this: Something about Operation Leviathon, as stated in the deleted cinematic of Prague:

This is AFTER you get your Nazi papers and suit, and sometime BEFORE "The Meeting", with the Feng Twins, Marshal Kai, Von Beck and 2 Gestapo.

M05_Dialouge.txt:

CUT SCENE ID: M05G
M05: INDY MEETS THE COLONEL
SSC 000 M05 CIN SSC IDY 065 Ahh? there you are.
SSC 001 M05 CIN SSC IDY 066 Herr Von Beck arrived this morning to personally oversee the test voyage of the new Leviathan submarine.
SSC 002 M05 CIN SSC IDY 067 "Von Beck has the code word required to fire the Leviathan?s weapons, but the code word is useless without this decryption key. "
SSC 003 M05 CIN SSC IDY 068 Take this key to the security building and deliver it to Herr Von Beck personally. Make sure it doesn?t fall into the wrong hands...

Edit: M08_Dialouge.txt

M08 INTRO: INDY AND MEI YING BEGIN THEIR ESCAPE FROM KAI?S FORTRESS
IDY 101 M08 CIN IDY 000 That?s our ticket out of here. Go for the driver?s seat and head down the mountain. Wuhan should be waiting for us. (whispering)
MYG 029 M08 CIN MYG IDY 001 Right.
IDY 102 M08 CIN IDY MYG 002 Keep your foot on the gas and don?t stop for anything. "(emphasis on ""anything"")"
MYG 030 M08 CIN MYG IDY 003 Good luck.
SSS 006 M08 CIN SSS 004 Schnell! Schnell!
IDY 103 M08 CIN IDY MYG 005 Now! Go! Go!
CUT SCENE ID: M08B
M08: INDY & MEI YING ARE TRAPPED ON THE BRIDGE
IDY 104 M08 CIN IDY MYG 010 Look out! (shouting)
CUT SCENE ID: M08C
"M08: AS THE LAST BRIDGE IS DESTROYED, INDY AND MEI YING JUMP INTO THE SEA"
MYG 031 M08 CIN MYG 015 Indy look!
IDY 105 M08 CIN IDY 016 You?ve gotta be kidding me.
IDY 106 M08 CIN IDY MYG 017 We have to jump.
MYG 032 M08 CIN MYG 018 Jump!? Are you crazy!? (incredulous)
IDY 107 M08 CIN IDY MYG 019 "Sorry sweetheart, no time to argue?"
IDY 108 M08 CIN IDY 020 AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!
MYG 033 M08 CIN MYG 020 AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

M10:
IDY 275 M10 EVT IDY 025 "I've heard the legends of a second great wall, but I had no idea they were true."

[Edited by Yolegoman on 12-27-2003 at 12:31 pm]

nOOb

Almost all of the gaming reviews I have read state the fact that the whole Prague chapter doesn't make much sense in terms of storyline. Just what is the second piece to the Mirror of Dreams doing inside a reanimated giant corpse, anyway?

actually, theres no explanation for a lot of stuff...how does von beck know to dig in istanbul? or that the kouru watu idol contained a mirror piece? how does wu han know all about the layout of peng-lai island? and what exactly was marshal kai trying to accomplish with the whole mei ying sacrifice bit?

btw could you mod those sound files to play ingame? i think that would be cool... :)

MP3

Hmmmmmmmm... when I saw this thread, I thought you you were referring to something else. There is a hidden cinematic, which goes like this: First it shows the Prauge castle in the background, and in the foreground says the famous set of quotes: "If adventure has a name..." etc. Then it shows a bunch of short action clips from in the game - i.e. the overall style/effect is like what an arcade game does while it's waiting for some bored soul to feed it a quarter.

Here's the challenge: can YOU find it? Or will I be the only one to walk away with this artifact? ;)

nOOb

thats just the trailer that anyone can access off the official site...or do you mean actually ingame?

Yolegoman

Mp3, you amaze me. You must have found every single hidden secret in this game and then some.

Answer noobs question, and I will gladly put on my fedora and sit down at my computer, searching for yet another "hidden artifact".

Edit:

Noob, the whole point of the Mei Ying sacrifice bit was this:

To join the three pieces of the Mirror, you must first sacrifice a soul to Kong Tien, the Chinese god, I think he is, and then
"My master will make the Mirror of Dreams whole again."

That's what that bit was about.

As for knowing about where to dig in the rest of the places, I'm sure Marshall Kai had done a lot of research and knew where the parts to the Mirror had been scattered.

But, your point is well taken. The story does need a bit of brushing up, mainly because of all of the movies and plot points that were thrown out of the game at the last minute.

[Edited by Yolegoman on 12-30-2003 at 07:43 am]

nOOb

[/QUOTE]As for knowing about where to dig in the rest of the places, I'm sure Marshall Kai had done a lot of research and knew where the parts to the Mirror had been scattered.[/QUOTE]
yeah, i guessed as much. i just wish he actually said how, like "according to this manuscript, a european merc stole the mirror from its shrine in shanghai, wounding or killing several guards. one wasnt hurt badly and was able to follow him a tavern where the mirror was passed off to the guy who owned the castle (someone important and easy to track down)"

MP3

nOOb said:
thats just the trailer that anyone can access off the official site...or do you mean actually ingame?

Hmmmmmmm... I don't think - in fact, I highly doubt - that it is the trailer, since I've seen the trailer for ET that comes on disc 4 of the Indy DVD collection, and it doesn't look at all like the movie I found. If the trailer on the official site is different than the one on the DVD, then perhaps you are right. Otherwise, it isn't the trailer. ;)

In any case, even if it is the trailer, that alone is an interesting discovery - that unbeknownst to many (or all) people, the trailer is included with the game. ;)

BTW, speaking of the trailer on the DVD, who is that moron right in the beginning who bounces around showing off his karate until he is punched by someone (presumably Indy)? Is he someone from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or someone else who I don't know?

P.S. Here's a little tip: you may need some more add-on software to see the movie - GAP won't save you this time. ;)

nOOb

crud, had to go and couldnt finish my post...

what i wrote was just an example of an explanation which kai should have given when he hired indy, and then more plotline from von beck aboard the zeppelin (how he knows to dig in istanbul)
and so on.

[/QUOTE]Noob, the whole point of the Mei Ying sacrifice bit was this:

To join the three pieces of the Mirror, you must first sacrifice a soul to Kong Tien, the Chinese god, I think he is, and then
"My master will make the Mirror of Dreams whole again."

That's what that bit was about. [/QUOTE]
of course, she DIDNT get sacrificed, so the mirror cant really be in one piece, can it?

mp3, there was at least 3 different trailers, i believe. one is the ninja trailer(i think hes supposed to be a real-life version of a triad guy)
the other two are longer with more footage.

[Edited by nOOb on 12-30-2003 at 11:40 am]

MP3

nOOb said:
of course, she DIDNT get sacrificed, so the mirror cant really be in one piece, can it?

She did get sacrificed, don't you remember? Kong Tien took possesion of her soul, returning to power, and that's why you have to fight the Mei Ying Demon by destroying its power orbs. Once the orbs are destroyed, Kong Tien loses his power, and Mei Ying's soul is released. If Indy wouldn't have defeated the demon, her soul would have stayed "sacrificed".

nOOb said:
mp3, there was at least 3 different trailers, i believe. one is the ninja trailer(i think hes supposed to be a real-life version of a triad guy)
the other two are longer with more footage.

Hmmmmmm... so maybe it is one of them. But like I said before, it's still an interesting "easter egg"/"artifact" type of discovery to find a copy of the trailer hidden in your game files, isn't it?

Yolegoman

Yeah, that one trailer you talked about, Mp3, is REALLY old, its one of the first ones to come out.

Edit: the file is attract.bik. How do I play the file?

-Yolego

MP3

Very good! You're catching on... as for how to play the file, you need to know what the *.bik extension is. I found out from one of these websites that lists known file extensions that *.bik is for a "Bink Video File". Now that you know what you're looking for, a little bit Google should help you find the site of the company that made the codec (they really do have a wierd sense of humor - they have codecs with strange names lik "Bink" and "Smacker" :)), where you can download a program that plays Bink files. (The URL eludes me right now, or I'd post it.)

As for the trailer that you said is very old, what are you talking about - the one that starts with "If adventure has a name..." etc. or the one with the ninja?

MP3

BTW, when playing the file, look out for a shot of a gondola with a sunset/mountain range background - oddly enough, it shows Indy jumping into a gondola, as opposed to jumping on top of it.

nOOb

lol when i first saw the game features list, it said "gondola chase in the south china sea" or something. unfortunately, i thought "boat", instead of cable car(not knowing then i'd mixed gondola up with junk). so i was thinking of jumping from junk to junk...that would have been cool as a level! :)

Yolegoman

Eh, found Bink. :)

That file IS the old one, but its at a higher resolution, so I reccomend watching it.

It shows some of the old stuff, and you can see how much they improved the game since then.

Now, to find out how to play ssc files so we can watch the Cinematics without finding them in the mission first!

MP3

You can't - the in-game cinematics are rendered on the fly. I confirmed this by editing the mission file (something you should be familiar with ;)) to allow me to keep all my weapons when entering the Black Dragon fortress (changed "ResetInventory" to 0). All the cinematics after that - most notably, the Mei Ying sacrifice - correctly displayed Indy with a machine gun, speargun, and some other sh*t strapped to has back. If the cinematics were pre-rendered (and watchable outside the game), Indy would have a crossbow strapped to his back, regardless of your current inventory.

As a side note, have you ever tried to look at the *.exe files using a hex editor? They have some VERY interesting stuff in there... right now, I'm trying to figure out how to activate the debugging console. ;)