If you could recast...

Kingsley

I was thinking, if you could do a recast for any charachter of any of the four movies... Which actor would you give a chance to be part of Indy's world?

This is my list (one recast per movie):

• In Raiders: Klaus Kinski as Toht... it would have made that film nearly perfect (the role was offered by spielberg to him).
  • In Temple: Susan Sarandon as Willi... she could have given the character a bit more complexity and ground.
  • In Last Crusade (tough, great cast): ninetys Sharon Stone as Elsa... opposite to her role in the films with Richard Chamberlain. (n)
  • In Indy IV: Clint Eastwood as Abner (rumour, I know)... he "is" Abner, so like I can imagine him. If you see him appear, you know he is an important character in the story.

I think of them as they were/are in the moment the movies were filmed. By the way, Klaus Kinski died a while ago.
Are there other options or disagreements? :)

Last edited:

ElsaFan

I would have had John Travolta play Elsa in Last Crusade. In Hairspray he showed that he can play a woman to perfection.

Professor Jones

This thread is really funny!

Then...
- as Professor Henry Jones Sr. I would put Sir Anthony Hopkins but it would have been great to see an older Cary Grant in the part...
- as for Jock I cannot think a better actor than Dudley Moore!
- Belloq could be replaced by the british Ian McKellen, has a very impressive impact as an enemy;

By the way, thanks God Danny De Vito hadn't the part of Sallah! Besides, I cannot really think about a replacement for Sallah.

chapter11

I think Humphrey Bogart would have made a very interesting Indy. (Consider his performance in The Treasure of Sierra Madre.)

Niteshade007

Just a few random thoughts:

-Alan Rickman as Belloq. He's always a great villain.
-Kathleen Turner as either Marion or Willie. Since she did Romancing the Stone, I always thought it would be neat to see her and Indy in a film together.
-Sharon Stone as Elsa. I love her as the femme fatale in Basic Instinct, I'm sure I'd like her as the femme fatale in Last Crusade.
-Geoffrey Rush as Donovan. Also does the villainous roles very well.
-Cary Grant as Henry Jones, Sr. I never would have thought about that, but it would have been great to see. I also like the Anthony Hopkins idea.

Not that I dislike any of the original actors, I just thought these might be interesting to see.

Kingsley

Niteshade007 said:
Just a few random thoughts:
-Geoffrey Rush as Donovan. Also does the villainous roles very well.

Great recast!
And all those classic hollywood actors would have been a good addition in that time. They are a sort of connection between indy films and the hollywood era that inspired them.
I can think of Laurence Olivier as Marcus Brody, only a few great actors could have replaced Denholm Elliot.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Kingsley said:
Great recast!
And all those classic hollywood actors would have been a good addition in that time. They are a sort of connection between indy films and the hollywood era that inspired them.
I can think of Laurence Olivier as Marcus Brody, only a few great actors could have replaced Denholm Elliot.

I read an old quote once about how English actors tell each other "don't act with children, animals, or Denholm Elliot." He's that much of a presence.

Indy's Fist

Tom Selleck as Indy. Keep the rest. I just love Tom Selleck's take on Indy. When I first heard Selleck was offered the part I was like, "Huh?!" But after seeing the test footage I was like, "Huh! He's awsome!"

Indy's Fist

CaliforniaJones said:
There is test footage? WHERE? Never knew about this. With or without mustache?

Yes, it's included in the special features with the DVD's of the classic trilogy. It's really quite neet!(y)

Finn

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
I read an old quote once about how English actors tell each other "don't act with children, animals, or Denholm Elliot." He's that much of a presence.
Or then it's that smell of rotten flesh.

Doc Savage

Finn said:
Or then it's that smell of rotten flesh.
Ahh, Finn...that sparkling wit...

Mr. Elliot's presence will be sorely missed in this new installment...as will John Rhys-Davies. Sallah's one of my favorite characters. He was the only thing that made Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx worth reading.

I think Anthony Hopkins would have made a great Abner as well as a great Henry, Sr. He's shown he can play the detached father and the obsessed scholar several times, and both would have been apropos for Ravenwood or Professor Jones.

|ZiR|

Kingsley said:
I was thinking, if you could do a recast for any charachter of any of the four movies... Which actor would you give a chance to be part of Indy's world?

The answer to this question is always Gary Oldman.

Michael24

Indy's Fist said:
Tom Selleck as Indy. Keep the rest. I just love Tom Selleck's take on Indy. When I first heard Selleck was offered the part I was like, "Huh?!" But after seeing the test footage I was like, "Huh! He's awsome!"

Also love one episode from the final season of MAGNUM P.I. called "Legend of the Lost Art," in which Higgins wants Magnum to find a priceless ancient scroll before it falls into the wrong hands. Selleck gets to don the leather jacket and Fedora and, if I remember correctly, even jump aboard a moving truck a la RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. It was a great episode that gives a glimpse of what could have been and proves Selleck would have made a great Indiana Jones.

Kingsley said:
[*]In Raiders: Klaus Kinski as Toht... it would have made that film nearly perfect (the role was offered by spielberg to him).

Wasn't Kinski offered the role of Belloq? That's what I thought, at least.

kongisking

ElsaFan said:
I would have had John Travolta play Elsa in Last Crusade. In Hairspray he showed that he can play a woman to perfection.

yuck! Just imagine "ah, Venice" with Travolta being the one seducing Indy! :sick:

How about John Voight as Henry Sr. and Morgan Freeman as Mola Ram? :rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Lucas and Spielberg were dumbfounded when all their casting choices turned down the opportunity to star in their epic new Indiana Jones extravaganza: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

They had no idea where to turn to find a group of actors who could do justice to the script.

Only when it was pointed out that their film sounded like a discarded Monty Python sketch was the riddle was finally solved.

Lucas and Spielberg now present Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, available only at Blockbuster Rental Stores, and packaged in plain brown wrapper to protect the customer from any embarrassment.

Graham Chapman is Indiana Jones:

PythonGrahamChapman.jpg

Michael Palin is Marion Ravewood:

Pythonmichael-palin-dress.jpg

Eric Idle is Mutt Williams:

PythonEricIdle.jpg

John Cleese is Professor Harold Oxley:

PythonJohnCleese.jpg

Terry Jones is Colonel Dr. Irina Spalko:

Pythonterry-jones_01_446.jpg

Terry Gilliam is Colonel Antonin Dovchenko:

PythonTerryGilliam.jpg

American Humane Association disclaimer:

No Pythons were harmed in the making of this film, apart from their reputation by assossiation.

Brooke Logan

Marion: Melissa Anderson (Mary Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie). I love Karen Allen in the part, but after I read in Melissa's book that Spielberg was considering her for Marion, I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if she'd been chosen. I think she'd have been great.

Elsa: Katherine Kelly Lang. She plays Brooke on The Bold and The Beautiful (that's who my username is). She's gorgeous and an expert at playing the blonde femme fatale. If she could have played this part, it would have really put her on the map for a film star, but I am thankful she's stayed at B&B all these years.

Picture of KKL around the time the movie was made:

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m295/nakagosbunny/?action=view&current=464869808_o.jpg

Last edited: