Crystal Head Vodka

Errex

Whoa!.

I want one of those bottles. I don't care about the contents (I can always fill it with a good vodka), but it has to be priceless to have such a thing in a bar.(y)

Indy's brother

Nurhachi1991 said:
I want some now :(

I hear ya. There are days that I want to swap my brain with a quart of
booze. Today is one of those days...the crystal head can hold on to my brain for a while, if I may be poetic.

Goonie

Dan Aykroyd still selling the booze:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Mvgnel37OI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Mvgnel37OI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For some reason though, in the video it doesn't seem like he has achieved a higher clarity of spirit. ;)

Gregorius

Just got one.

I just picked one of these up. I found it Bevmo. It has to be one of the coolest bottles ever. It looks great on my bar. I have not tried the vodka yet, but Mr. Aykroyd assures me it's of the finest quality. (y)

Gregorius

Just picked up two bottles signed by Earl Weber himself! I also had him sign a Temple of Doom insert and the Blues Brothers DVD. :)

4.jpg

They had tons of bottles!

3.jpg

Last edited:

Goonie

Just found this collage image online:

crystal-head-vodka3.jpg

Does anyone know if Dan Aykroyd is also selling those light-up stands? I was going to rig one up with one of those LED closet lights, but if there is an official one available... (y)

I finally had a shot on New Year's eve. Darn good vodka! (y)

Goonie

This interesting piece of news coming out of Ontario today from CTV...

Ontario won't carry Aykroyd's skull-shaped vodka

Updated: Wed May. 19 2010 5:58:55 PM
ctvtoronto.ca

If you're looking to grab a bottle of Dan Aykroyd's Crystal Head Vodka this summer at the LCBO, you're out of luck.

The liquor control board decided not to carry the alcohol, which comes in a bottle shaped like a smiling human skull, out of concern that the product projects the wrong image about drinking.

The LCBO's Chris Layton told ctvtoronto.ca that saying the product is banned "is kind of a bit harsh."

Instead, Layton said that while the vodka is not available on the shelf at LCBO outlets, it can be ordered by "customers and licensed establishments" through the retailer's private order service.

"The image of the human skull was problematic for us as a responsible retailer," Layton said on Wednesday. "It's an image that is commonly associated with death or death by poison."

Layton said that the skull raised concerns because of binge drinking among younger people.

"In some cases, unfortunately, those cases of binge drinking have resulted in alcohol poisoning."

On an introduction video posted on the Crystal Head Vodka website, Aykroyd states that the bottle was two-years in the making and was designed by artist John Alexander.

The bottle also bears a resemblance to the artist Damien Hirst's 2007 work, "For the Love of God."

Hirst, a celebrated British artist, created his shiny skull by covering it with thousands of diamonds.

The article also has a video: CTV: Ontario won't carry Aykroyd's skull-shaped vodka

Goonie said:
This interesting piece of news coming out of Ontario today from CTV...

The article also has a video: CTV: Ontario won't carry Aykroyd's skull-shaped vodka

So to clarify...

They disapprove of the image the skull gives concerning poisoning and death because they don't want kids to drink themselves to death? Well color bloody ****ing confused. Wouldn't that be exactly the sort of preventative advertising they'd be supporting if they want people to STOP drinking? I mean hell, if I were prone to paranoia and I saw a bottle shaped like a skull and the first thought through my mind was "goddamn! It looks like poison," I think I'd be unlikely to drink the damn thing.

Man... I really don't understand bureaucracies. Well, no, that's not true, I do. Organizations like this exist to beg their own existence. They can't justify being if they aren't doing and so they do, no matter how ****ing stupid, to continue being. Vicious cycle.

UIMJ

Silly Silly.

On another note, that stuff is some smooth, but strong vodka, man! It's expensive so I planned on drinking it on the rocks, but it makes great screwdrivers...

Stoo

@Goonie: Too bad, especially since Dan LIVES in Ontario just outside of Kingston. I was hoping if I were to find a bottle anywhere it would be in Ontari-ari-ari-O since the SAQ in Quebec don't carry it yet.

@Resident Alien: Just to clarify...:)

Ontario is more strict on alcohol laws than Quebec. In Quebec, if you're 18, you can buy beer & wine at grocery and convenience stores until 11:00pm but in Ontario, if you want beer, you have to go to The Beer Store (yes, that's what they're called) or an LCBO which close at 10:00pm. The Ontario age limit is 19.

However in BOTH provinces, booze is ONLY available at government-run outlets. The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. The LCBO can't outrightly discourage alcohol consumption because that would be against their mandate: Making money.

@UIMJ: Sounds good. How much did you pay for your bottle?

Stoo said:
@Resident Alien: Just to clarify...:)

Ontario is more strict on alcohol laws than Quebec. In Quebec, if you're 18, you can buy beer & wine at grocery and convenience stores until 11:00pm but in Ontario, if you want beer, you have to go to The Beer Store (yes, that's what they're called) or an LCBO which close at 10:00pm. The Ontario age limit is 19.

However in BOTH provinces, booze is ONLY available at government-run outlets. The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. The LCBO can't outrightly discourage alcohol consumption because that would be against their mandate: Making money.

So I've heard. I've had a few Canadian friends over the years, including those who thought it utterly absurd when they found out I couldn't legally drink at the age of 18.

Wasn't criticizing Canada (ya goddamn flap-heads!), just that particular bureaucracy.

Goonie

UIMJ said:
Silly Silly.

On another note, that stuff is some smooth, but strong vodka, man! It's expensive so I planned on drinking it on the rocks, but it makes great screwdrivers...

It is good stuff. Got a bottle for Christmas. And yes, they sell it here in BC. :hat:

Goonie

Just heard that Dan will be at one of the local liquor stores doing a signing in two weeks. Gonna get my bottle signed and maybe my Ghostbusters DVD set (y) . Methinks he's not here to do just a signing. He's probably here scouting the local wineries and vineyards to set-up shop.

I heard he's going to be doing a signing somewhere in Vancouver as well.

*Edited*
Just checked the Events section on the Crystal Head Website:
http://www.crystalheadvodka.com/events/view
Sept 22 He's here in Kelowna
Sept 23 He's in Vancouver
Sept 24 He's in Burnaby
And for you members south of the border...
Sept 25 He's in Seattle
Sept 27 He's in Portland

Later this week he'll be in Edmonton and then in Calgary for two days.

If I go to the signing (which I hope to), should I bug him about Ghostbusters 3? :D

Last edited: