Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

WilliamBoyd8

Andy Williams, RIP

Andy Williams, whose signature tune was "Moon River", passed away at his home in Branson, Missouri Tuesday night, his representative confirmed in a statement released Wednesday morning.

Williams? last posting on Twitter was September 22 at just after 11:00 pm, a single word: "Sigh".

Williams was a performer from childhood, singing with his brothers from the age of 8 as part of the radio act the Williams Brothers Quartet. In 1951, the act disbanded and Williams moved to New York, where the handsome 24-year-old became a regular performer on Steve Allen?s ?The Tonight Show.?

Easy-going and photogenic, Williams also was a television regular in his heyday, appearing on the top variety shows and hosting several of his own, including the Emmy-winning ?The Andy Williams Show,? which debuted on NBC in 1962 and aired for nine years. His Christmas specials were holiday family-viewing staples.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/09/andy-williams-dead-at-84

:(

Stoo

I have a soft spot for "Marmalade, Molasses & Honey" from the film, "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean".

R.I.P. Andy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9DnZzDFR6Vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P.S. Paul Williams was actually pretty good in, "Battle for the Planet of the Apes".:)

Chief Inspector Dreyfus / Herbert Lom 95

He enjoyed 22 Clouseau-less years...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LEcsgbwBFRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus in the "Pink Panther" comedies, has died, according to British media. He was 95.

His agent was not immediately able to confirm the reports that Lom died peacefully in his sleep on Thursday. They did not specify where, but he had been based in London.

Born into a poor aristocratic family in Prague in 1917, he shortened his complicated name to Lom and appeared in a handful of locally made movies before emigrating to Britain before the outbreak of World War Two and making his home there.

There he built a career that spanned over 100 films and included more than its fair share of villains.

He portrayed Napoleon Bonaparte twice, including in "War and Peace" in 1956 alongside Henry Fonda and Audrey Hepburn, and the King of Siam in the first London production of the stage musical "The King and I" in 1953.

Two years later he collaborated with Peter Sellers in the dark comedy "The Ladykillers", and they would work together again in the 1960s and 1970s on the Pink Panther series.

In them Lom played the increasingly crazed Dreyfus alongside Sellers' hapless Inspector Clouseau, and the success of his character owed much to Lom's own improvisations.

In an interview with the Independent newspaper in 2004, Lom recalled that it was him who invented Dreyfus's nervous twitch that became his trademark gesture.

"I started winking out of nervousness, and couldn't stop," he said. "It wasn't in the script but (director) Blake Edwards loved it. But it became a problem. I made those films for 20 years, and after 10 years they ran out of good scripts.

"They used to say to me, 'Herbert, wink here, wink.' And I said, 'I'm not going to wink. You write a good scene and I won't have to wink.'"

He also wrote two novels, "Enter A Spy" published in 1971 and "Dr Guillotine" in 1993.

Stoo

There he built a career that spanned over 100 films and included more than its fair share of villains.

He portrayed Napoleon Bonaparte twice, including in "War and Peace" in 1956
95 years old?!? Holy smokes!:eek:

The other film where he played Napoleon was, "The Young Mr. Pitt". He also did a great job at playing a very, unsavoury character in, "Northwest Frontier" (a.k.a. "Flame Over India").

R.I.P. Herbert Lom. You will not be forgotten.

WilliamBoyd8

Big Tex, the Texas State Fair icon, destroyed by fire on October 19

ap-big-tex-fire-4_3_r560.jpg

Stoo

I grew up watching Larry Hagman on re-runs of, "I Dream of Jeannie", and later, clearly remember the hooplah surrounding the 'Who Shot J.R.?' season ender of "Dallas". Hagman was the subject of one of the most phenomenonal cliffhangers in television history.

One funny thing is that he directed a movie, "Beware! The Blob" in 1972. When it was released on VHS in the '80s, it's tagline was, "The Film That J.R. Shot"!:gun:

Larry Hagman was also in "Stardust" (1974) with Keith Moon, the drummer for The Who. They became next-door neighbours when Moon moved to Malibu, California in '75.

---
On a related note...

A day after Larry Hagman died, so did Chris Stamp. He was once the co-manager & producer for The Who and Jimi Hendrix. People might be familiar with his brother, actor Terence Stamp (who, among many other roles, played Chancellor Valorum in "Phantom Menace").

R.I.P. Larry & Chris.

jeanniecell.jpg

I Don Quixote

R.I.P. my friend's great-grandma. But they didn't know each other very well. So, I'm glad she wasn't too upset.

She was able to make it to basketball!(y)

Goodeknight

Zig Ziglar (motivational speaker and Christian) died this morning. As his Facebook page notes, "Though his time on earth has ended, he is speaking with Jesus now in his heavenly home. The angels in heaven are rejoicing and his family is celebrating a life well lived."

http://www.facebook.com/ZigZiglar

Stoo said:
I grew up watching Larry Hagman on re-runs
jeanniecell.jpg
Me too.

The Rockford Files have been on my DVR rotation and he was guest star for an episode a few days ago...

Never watched Dallas, which was surprising since Victoria Principal was my ideal.

I dream of Jeanie was more about watching Barbara Eden.

His cameo in Superman the Movie was always a bit uncomfortable when mom and dad watched on tv...vigorous chest massage indeed.

Last edited:

Stoo

Ravi Shankar

Sitar legend, Ravi Shankar, passed away yesterday (Dec. 11th) in California at 92.

Tonight, I'm going to watch "Monterey Pop" in his honour.

Ravi+Shankar+120091774_a59f2c96ce_o.jpg

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
Sitar legend, Ravi Shankar, passed away yesterday (Dec. 11th) in California at 92.

Tonight, I'm going to watch "Monterey Pop" in his honour.

Ravi+Shankar+120091774_a59f2c96ce_o.jpg

Amazingly talented, especially when he lit the sitar on fire on stage -- or when he played it behind his back, or with his tongue.

No wait a minute....

Seriously, though, Shankar is and always will be awesome.

WilliamBoyd8

Maurice Herzog, French climber, first ascent of Annapurna, RIP

French mountaineer Maurice Herzog, the first person to scale the 8,091-meter
(26,545-foot) Annapurna peak, has died at the age of 93.

Herzog died early Friday, Dec. 14, 2012, said Pierre You, the president of the
French Federation of Mountaineering and Climbing.

His book about the epic expedition, "Annapurna: The First Conquest of an
8,000-Meter Peak", was called "the most influential mountaineering book of all
time" by National Geographic Adventure and made Sports Illustrated's list of the
top 100 sports books of all time.

"It has sold millions of copies", the IOC said, "more than 20 million copies",
and has been translated into dozens of languages.

On a personal note, I just read his book "Annapurna" last week and returned it
to the library yesterday.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
My fave Schwarzkopf news cover...

Also Charles Dunning, 89.
He was among the first wave of U.S. soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.
<iframe width="600" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NJG75FJkjr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>