TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #101
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Something I just noticed in an interview with George Lucas from Starlog 191 (June '93):
"Ultimately, the entire series, which is now about 32 hours, although I have 70 hours worth of scripts, all fits together."
Interestingly, the 32 hours roughly corresponds to the 22 chapters (at 90 minutes each, 33 hours). At the time of the interview (into the "third season") it may have been clear that it would be drawing to a close, and Lucas may even have decided what was "in" or "out" in the final list of chapters that would be completed before calling it quits.

I also have no doubt that "70 hours worth of scripts" is only true from a certain point of view (just napkin scribblings? good enough - roll, speed, and action!). Still... hope that there are more things to discover in the archives.

The interview also briefly mentions the 5-year-old Indy concept again.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #102
Stoo
IndyFan

Holy smokes! I also noticed an extremely interesting tidbit from the French interview with Ronny Coutteure in the Digital Versions thread. (THANKS, Sakis!)

In the unfilmed episode which was supposed to follow "Peacock's Eye", Remy DIES in India!

Here's what Ronny said (translated from French):
"In a future story which was written but not filmed, Indy taken by remorse, finishes by rejoining Remy and they leave together on the search for the treasure up until the moment where Remy, worn out, dies in the Indian desert."

Considering Pakistan didn't exist in 1919, it sounds to me like they would have been up near the present-day border of India and Pakistan. Lots of desert there...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #103
T.E.Lawrence
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Holy smokes! I also noticed an extremely interesting tidbit from the French interview with Ronny Coutteure in the Digital Versions thread. (THANKS, Sakis!)

In the unfilmed episode which was supposed to follow "Peacock's Eye", Remy DIES in India!

Here's what Ronny said (translated from French):
"In a future story which was written but not filmed, Indy taken by remorse, finishes by rejoining Remy and they leave together on the search for the treasure up until the moment where Remy, worn out, dies in the Indian desert."

Considering Pakistan didn't exist in 1919, it sounds to me like they would have been up near the present-day border of India and Pakistan. Lots of desert there...

Wow this is a real gem. Thanks Stoo for that one.
T.E.Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #104
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

My God, I'd love to have seen that. Would he have rejoined him in his search after a couple of years? What a tragic end to their travels that would have been
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #105
Junior Jones
IndyFan

I'm guessing that since it was written but not filmed it would have been one of the episodes we've seen listed, "Bombay, April 1919". The episode description for "New Guinea, March 1919" doesn't have the split between Indy and Remy which was eventually written into the end of Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, just a disagreement that would continue on into the next episode.

We need to get a look at all these "written but not filmed" scripts, so here's what I propose: We organize an elite team to infiltrate LucasFilm. I'm a white male, so I'll obviously lead the team. We need an African-American male to make wisecracks, a very attractive Hispanic female with skill in the martial arts, and someone of Asian descent to coordinate all our electronic gear and communications. A pocketful of hot dogs will take care of any guard dogs. We'll crawl through the ventilation shafts to reach the archives and take pictures of the scripts with our cell phones. Afterward we can digitally enhance the blurry cell-phone pictures so they're legible. Who's with me?
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #106
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
I'm guessing that since it was written but not filmed it would have been one of the episodes we've seen listed, "Bombay, April 1919".
Unless there was another planned episode that we don't know about, it's UNDOUBTEDLY "Bombay, April 1919". Ronny was talking about what happens immediately after "Peacock's Eye" (so that answers Jeremiah's question).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
We need to get a look at all these "written but not filmed" scripts, so here's what I propose:
I'd join you but don't fit any of the other descriptions. The role of 'white male' has already been taken!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #107
Raiders112390
IndyFan

I hope these unproduced scripts come out someday, whether in book or TV movie form.
Harrison's getting older, and with the prospect of Indy 5 fading by day by day...It might be cool to see another round of Young Indy movies or television. A different actor from SPF could play young Indy. I mean Indy has been played by 4 or 5 actors, what difference does it make if it's a different actor than SPF?

Some adventures from 1920 to 1926 would be cool.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #108
Bahari
IndyFan

i wish they somehow, would continue on the series. I mean it's George Lucas were talking about here, the man known for not leaving his past work behind!

The biggest problem ofcourse is that the actors have grown older, but maybe you could at least do some episodes when Indy is like 11- 12 or something. That age would need a new actor anyways.

All I know is, it's a shame that this wonderfull series was not completed, and I think even if they can only do one more episode, they should.
Bahari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #109
lairdo
IndyFan

The more Clone Wars I watch, the more I am convinced they could do a heck of an Indy one set in the 1920s with Belloq as a recurring bad guy. Probably never happen, but it would be great.
lairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #110
Stoo
IndyFan

Key Flanders

Of all the unproduced episodes, "Flanders", has the most evidence of almost being made.

Before the series aired, Flanders was prominently featured on the map in the 1991 preview. These locations were the settings of the first production run of the show (and eventually became episodes, even if some of them were broadcast a year later). From these map locations, the only one that was never made into an episode was Flanders!

Why? What happened?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #111
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Why? What happened?

Sadly, I have no idea. There were scripts for other episodes done. I am not sure there was a script for Flanders though. Is it possible that Flanders was replaced by Verdun in the season? (I know that is in France.) Le Havre did have a script, so that's another option. That's in France too though.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #112
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
Sadly, I have no idea. There were scripts for other episodes done. I am not sure there was a script for Flanders though. Is it possible that Flanders was replaced by Verdun in the season? (I know that is in France.) Le Havre did have a script, so that's another option. That's in France too though.

Will any of these scripts ever become available? Would be curious to see the scripts for the episode with Abner Ravenwood set in 1905, and the scripts of the 1920-1921 episodes where Indy first meets Belloq and begins using a whip.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #113
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Will any of these scripts ever become available? Would be curious to see the scripts for the episode with Abner Ravenwood set in 1905, and the scripts of the 1920-1921 episodes where Indy first meets Belloq and begins using a whip.
Maybe you made a typing error, Raiders, but the Abner episode was meant to be in 1909.
Quote:
Laird, it's certainly possible that a Flanders chapter was replaced by another (though, my guess would be by the Somme rather than Verdun). However, the question of it being an episode-in-the-making is a bit of an enigma.

Ever since the late '90s, I'd been seeing Flanders in internet lists of unproduced episodes (the first one I found had your name associated with it! But I don't hold you accountable for the Flanders inclusion) and they had the date, July 1916. Because "Le Havre" was meant to be June 1916 and Indy talks about being at Flanders in the "Somme, August 1916" episode, the July date is a natural fit. There was no reason to question it until...

When Pablo Hidalgo published his wonderful on-line article, "The Lost Chronicles of Young Indiana Jones" in 2008, I was surprised that he didn't include Flanders and started to wonder if it was only in the previous lists because of one fan's logical conjecture and that this 'information' had been spread from one webpage to the next. (Indeed, it has been repeatedly copied & pasted because the wording is always identical, including the spelling error in Jacques' name.)

Each mention I've found has exactly the same description:
"Flanders, July 1916" was to involve Indy, Remy and Jaques fighting in Flanders. The events of this episode are mentioned in "Trenches of Hell".

Then just the other day, I was re-watching the "McDonald's" preview (finding footage for a new StooTV video) and noticed the Flanders location on the map for the 1st time! Never noticed this before so my eyes popped out of my head. In your Master Chronology notes, July 1916 isn't one of the months with a 'no-story-content-yet' status. Both your memo and the preview are from December 1991.

So now I'm wondering if "Flanders" reached an advanced stage of development (or, possibly, an early stage of production).

Last edited by Stoo : 10-24-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #114
lairdo
IndyFan

I went back and reread the thread (or at least scanned it). While I don't recall a script for it nor have I heard that one existed, I am guessing you are right about it being its own story. Somme is considered to be in Flanders apparently, but since there was a month-by-month plan for Indy (as I mentioned in the past) and as you point out Indy says it, we can assume that was the plan.

I just wonder when it would have been done. The series was definitely moving forward into the 20's if it had survived. I got the feeling they would have pretty much left most of WWI behind. And goodness knows how they would have done all those Corey Carrier episodes past another year or two. He looks so old and different in Tunisia and Travels with Father to me than the young kid he was when the show started.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #115
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I went back and reread the thread (or at least scanned it). While I don't recall a script for it nor have I heard that one existed, I am guessing you are right about it being its own story. Somme is considered to be in Flanders apparently, but since there was a month-by-month plan for Indy (as I mentioned in the past) and as you point out Indy says it, we can assume that was the plan.

I just wonder when it would have been done. The series was definitely moving forward into the 20's if it had survived. I got the feeling they would have pretty much left most of WWI behind.
I'm guessing that a plan for Flanders was alive in 1991 and became abandoned in 1992. (Perhaps because it was too similar to the Somme episode?)

Maybe there never was a script (which could explain why Pablo Hidalgo didn't include it in his article) but...

There is some interesting footage in the 1991 preview. Certain shots aren't in any of the episodes. One of them shows Germans troops charging out of their trenches while wearing khaki uniforms & spiked helmets. There is nothing similar to this in the series! Another one shows French troops charging towards the camera and their uniforms don't really match those seen in the Verdun episode. Very curious...especially the German charge with the spiked, 'pickelhaube' helmets.

I'll have to check the 1979 version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" again (where several shots were borrowed from) to see if these bits are in there. If they aren't, then this footage could very well be from a planned Flanders chapter. Mind you, this is all just pure speculation...
Quote:
And goodness knows how they would have done all those Corey Carrier episodes past another year or two. He looks so old and different in Tunisia and Travels with Father to me than the young kid he was when the show started.
Good point. For sure, the 1905 business would have required a different child actor.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #116
Moedred
Administrator

About a dozen Marvel Young Indy comics would fill in these gaps.
Here are the links to the articles being discussed:

Laird Malamed
http://www.indyfan.com/articles/yijchb.html

Pablo Hidalgo
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...407/index.html
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...7/indexp2.html
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...7/indexp3.html
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...7/indexp4.html
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote