Indy IV Title (non-spoiler version)

DestenE

Shia has announced live right now that the title is Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skulls.

Vendetta08

I noticed that as well and decided to log on and see if there's anything else on it. He said he wasn't suppose to say it....It's probably true.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

Joe Brody

If true, I wish they would've opted for the simpler Indiana Jones and the Crystal Kingdom -- it has a simpler, snappier and generally more Liberace-esque quality.

liberace_2521.jpg

King_of_th_m862188.jpg

[Even without Temple around, I think most readers will catch my meaning.]

Rane

I think JoeBrody is right... apart from it's vague naf-ness, it's too long... Kingdom of Skulls might have been better. But really the word 'Crystal' is what ruins it for me. It's a litte fey; too nice and shiny... I can just see Indy skipping through the pwetty skulls... ;)

chapter11

I don't really like it. There's no "ring" to it, you know? It's kind of clunky. I'd have preferred City of the Gods.

A_True_Believer

chapter11 said:
I don't really like it. There's no "ring" to it, you know? It's kind of clunky. I'd have preferred City of the Gods.

I agree about it being "clunky". I always felt that that title was too long. "City of Gods" is still my favorite. I thought it sounded great as a grand, epic title to finish off the series.

Still, it definitely has a pulp serial quality to it, which is what the Indy films are all about. It's also debatably the most "adventurous-sounding" title of the series. So it's certainly not all bad. I guess we'll just have to add it to the list of names that will slowly grow on us, like "Attack of the Clones" and "Nintendo Wii". :)

EDIT: You know, I have to admit that seeing the title in the "official" Indy font makes me like it better somehow:

281x211.jpg

(found in the "spoiler" version of this thread)

Last edited:
A_True_Believer said:
EDIT: You know, I have to admit that seeing the title in the "official" Indy font makes me like it better somehow:

GRAPHIC DELETED

(found in the "spoiler" version of this thread)

Thanks! I like it well enough already, but seeing it in the official font (I don't read the spoilers) has really made my day. :)

deckard24

It sounds like the title of one of the choose your own adventure Indiana Jones books from the 80's. I don't know how I feel about it? I was really liking The City of Gods title, but that goes to show you that there will be plenty more surprises to come from The Beards.

A_True_Believer

Deadlock said:
Let the mourning commence. :dead:

Oh come on. It's not like the title indicates the quality of the film. They could call it Indiana Jones and the Big Shiny Object in a Dark Scary Cave and I wouldn't care less as long as the movie was good.

I was thinking, perhaps they intentionally chose a title that would be a little less popular to get people talking about it. Given the threads here (and at other sites which hadn't even mentioned the new film before today) I'd say it's working.

Deadlock

A_True_Believer said:
They could call it Indiana Jones and the Big Shiny Object in a Dark Scary Cave and I wouldn't care less as long as the movie was good.

I'm sure there are many people who would voice the same. :rolleyes:

All I have to say is: the #1 component of a great film is a great screenplay. Everything else (characters, locations, directing, action, props) follows from the screenplay. Guess what you have to read before page 1's "FADE IN"? If there's going to be weakness in the screenplay, it ought to be buried in act 2. But... putting it on the cover? That does not bode well.

If someone handed me a screenplay with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" on the cover, I would assume that it had been written by a fifth-grade fanboy (no offense to fifth-graders or fanboys).

Rane

A_True_Believer said:
Oh come on. It's not like the title indicates the quality of the film. They could call it Indiana Jones and the Big Shiny Object in a Dark Scary Cave and I wouldn't care less as long as the movie was good.

You're right, the title doesn't affect the film quality... but it seems to show a disturbing Lucas of the Phantom Menace influence... To me it doesn't quite flow from the first three..

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Temple of Doom
Last Crusade
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

But frankly, the most worrying thing is that I've said it so many times in my head now it's starting to sound normal.... :hat:

A_True_Believer

Rane said:
You're right, the title doesn't affect the film quality... but it seems to show a disturbing Lucas of the Phantom Menace influence...

Perhaps, but remember that Lucas ran things unchecked in TPM as both the director and sole screenplay writer. At least with KotCS we have Spielberg and Koepp, both with above-average pedigrees. I think Lucas' influence will be greatly reduced here compared to Star Wars.

Kingsley

Deadlock said:
If someone handed me a screenplay with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" on the cover, I would assume that it had been written by a fifth-grade fanboy (no offense to fifth-graders or fanboys).
Right. It ranks with the worst titles ever... like "Superman IV: the quest for peace"... and that movie was awful!!

A good movie with a bad title anywhere?