Timeline speculation: the bomb test

No Ticket

Aggie Crusade said:
Like I said, divine protection. If ANYONE could survive a nuclear blast, it has to be Indiana Jones.

More like... dumb luck. Indiana Jones has always survived through dumb luck... not divine protection from interacting with the Grail or the Ark. He had long survived a many poorly aimed pistol before he came in contact with either of those holy relics.

ValenciaGrail

No Ticket said:
Exactly. They made it just BARELY believable. Even though I'm pretty sure he would have broken some bones even IF he managed that. lol.

Yes - the "barely believable" aspect is one the hallmarks of the Indiana Jones franchise.
You suspend disbelief, but you still can imagine some of these stunts as being on the outer bubble of plausibility, rather than beyond it.

Exhibit 'A': the Raiders truck chase
See also: swinging across chasms on a bullwhip, etc....

This was largely because of the lack of CGI in the first three films...stuntmen had to actually simulate most of the action, giving it a more earthy feel.
This was one of the areas in which the new film suffered IMO, though I did like it.

To be honest, I think I actaully found Mutt's Tarzan stunt less believable than the "nuclear fridge ride"...

Erik Pflueger

You know, the title of this thread is "Timeline speculation" in regards to the bomb test sequence - in other words, trying to find out when in 1957 this event happened. If people want to post here, maybe they should confine their posts to the topic at hand. If people want to discuss how Indy survived the bomb test, or whether his solution was believeable or not believeable, then there are other threads for that. (n)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Erik Pflueger said:
You know, the title of this thread is "Timeline speculation" in regards to the bomb test sequence - in other words, trying to find out when in 1957 this event happened. If people want to post here, maybe they should confine their posts to the topic at hand. If people want to discuss how Indy survived the bomb test, or whether his solution was believeable or not believeable, then there are other threads for that. (n)

Erik's quite right...this thread has a clearly defined purpose, and while it doesn't offer much in terms of avenues of discussion, as it sounds to me that his account of the dates is right and shows some actual thought and research on the part of the film/book makers, it doesn't mean we should go off into another discussion of the probabilities of the fridge/bomb thing.

nabziF

God'sRadio said:
My googling produces no evidence of any lead lined fridge ever being sold

Of course you won't find info on them, because they're classified; it's obviously an experimental prototype specially made for the government, just for tests such as this, for the very reason Indy used it in the first place - as a refuge for anyone who didn't make it out in time hehe. :p

Apparently they just couldn't find a market for it. Go figure.

Last edited: