Paramount silencing portions of Indiana Jones in theaters?

Matthew

|ZiR| said:
We lost audio three times in KotCS, both times I saw it. The weird thing is it was during loud scenes were you weren't really paying attention to the music.

It happened...

once in the jungle fight, later when Spalko and crew crash into the ants nest behind Indy, and when the tree swings back up and crashes into the cliff.

So it was intentional? :s
It happened real quick when their vehicle rides over Indy's.

cinebird

|ZiR| said:
We lost audio three times in KotCS, both times I saw it. The weird thing is it was during loud scenes were you weren't really paying attention to the music.

It happened...

once in the jungle fight, later when Spalko and crew crash into the ants nest behind Indy, and when the tree swings back up and crashes into the cliff.

So it was intentional? :s
Not sure about this one. As a projectionist I can't say I have noticed anything, for those of you who have experienced drop out that could have been failure of the Dolby digital track and the processor switching to optical Dolby SR, this is very common in all cinemas equipped with Dolby Digital and a damn nuisance at times as the customers blame the cinema when in fact the fault lies with the track on the film, many a time you get Digital tracks that last only a couple of days before they start to fail, one of our Indy prints has had a whole reel fail in dolby digital after only one week, very poor. Next time you go to see the film ask a staff member at the Cinema to find out if there is a screen showing Indy or whatever film you want to see in DTS, the sound is stored on a hard drive and kept in sync with a time code on the film and almost never fails, seperation is usually much better too. Indy sounds fantastic in my cinema playing in the DTS screen. And no drop out!

Joel

Nope, no audio drop-out down here in Australia. Sounds very strange that they'd do this...i've never heard of a studio intentionally rigging an audio drop out- EVER.

Horchata

Michael24 said:
Forgot to note that the theater I've seen it twice at is also a Regal Cinema, a little under two hours from Dublin, CA, and I saw no such notice at the box office. (And I had plenty of time to spot one, as I stood in line for about 15 minutes waiting for the friggin' theater to open.)

When the audio cut out in our film, it was at the regal hacienda in Dublin. Actually its happened twice now at the same place.

Horchata

DaveTheHutt said:
Hilarious! You guys buying this BS? Typical internet - everyone getting their knickers in a bunch over something that is unsubstantiated and clearly ridiculous - just ask yourself why Paramount would do this and what benefit it would give them, and apply a little common sense... it's ludicrous!

Well...... Its happened to more than half of us.... All in the same parts of the film.... All in same theaters.....

Youre right. Theres no way it actually happened. Just Internet rumors.

StoneTriple

Horchata said:
Its happened to more than half of us.... All in the same parts of the film.... All in same theaters.....

Wouldn't that further substanciate what the projectionist just told you is very common - a problem with the film's digital sound?

BiffMan

fixer79 said:

Well the sound drop out has happened 2 of the 4 times I've seen it and it's always in the same place and I'm not a projectionist, but seems like it's only when the volume gets really loud and only has happened on some screens. It's as if when the volume goes above 9.5/10 then the sound system is cutting out or something.

Most interestingly I've seen it 3 times at one theater, each time on a different screen and the one time that I was in one of the prime (biggest) theaters it didn't cut out and the other 2 times that I was on a smaller screen, it did cut out.

Indy Black

I made a comment along the lines to my gf on the way out of the theatre yesterday that Indy didn't sound "right" in several scenes, like the tracking was off.

This is our second viewing and we noticed it the first time too but chalked it up to the audio equipment acting strange.

Both viewings were on a smaller screen at a Regla Cinema in Sonora,CA.

BiffMan

That's what I was hearing, it wasn't a complete silencing of the sound, it was more like one of the channels dropped out. The sound was still there, it was just that the really loud part didn't happen.

So based on my personal sample size of 4, the sound is fine in half the screens and theaters... ;)

torao

Moderator Emeritus
BiffMan said:
That's what I was hearing, it wasn't a complete silencing of the sound, it was more like one of the channels dropped out. The sound was still there, it was just that the really loud part didn't happen.

That was my experience as well.
But I saw it in Germany. A theater screening original versions but in now way affiliated with that Regal chain of yours.

This is clearly a case for The Three Investigators.

Erik Pflueger

I think I might have an idea how they're making this work: probably, as someone already noted, they're targeting areas where piracy is prominent. What they do is, they have different sound drops in different sequences per theater house. If a copy turns up on the web or on the streets showing the drops in that sequence, it means the copy was made at such-and-such a theater, and an investigation can be further focused; maybe that means authorities can keep an eye out for individuals who attend that theater with any suspicious-looking equipment, especially if they attend damn near EVERY movie shown there in an attempt to copy every one for the pirates.

It's no different a procedure than the way the CIA tracks documents if there's a leak, or movie studios track scripts that are leaked. One out-of-place period or comma could give it away. If the period is placed after this word or that word, and that copy turns up on the Web, they can track it back and tell who leaked it.

For the record, though, I saw the film twice at my theater, a Regal, and had no problems that come to mind.

Montana_Jones

First time I saw this was at a Regal. Even had to lean over to my Mum who was visiting to ask, "What did Spalko say?"

Second viewing was at a DTS equipped theater. Holy fark it sounded top-notch!(y) No drop-outs or anything.

So for my third viewing, I'm considering going to go see it at the DTS equipped theater again. Or maybe a different screen/showing at Regal.

StoneTriple

Just got back from seeing it again. No sound problems. That's four times, all Regal, no drop-outs.

Urban legend.

KMcCallister

Not an urban legend, just happened to me at a Loews in New Jersey.

Sound dropped out completely, for second-long intervals, at three different points in the film, all action scenes. This was my third viewing, but the first time this has happened. First two viewings were fine.