Star Wars: The Clone Wars

The TV show will be forgettable. And the live-action series will be Dawson's Creek on Tatooine.

MSN is begging Lucas to stop making movies:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/moviesfeature/dvd/george-stop-now/?GT1=28101

After 22 years of product management, Lucas returned to directing with the unfortunate "Phantom Menace," and completed the prequel trilogy with "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" between 1999 and 2005. Were these the "small, personal" films he'd been waiting all this time to create? Apparently not. He's still talking about an urge to get small, get personal, with his movies.

One word of advice for Mr. Lucas: Don't.

Two words: Please don't.

Last edited:
The Man said:
They're talking to the hand, 'cos the head ain't listening.

I'm George Lucas, b!tch!

george_lucas_wideweb__470x363,0.jpg

vf wing

Well, it was pretty much as i expected: a fun popcorn flick. It wasn't earth-shattering or heavyweight drama. The cute stuff doesn't offend me as it seems to so many others. I enjoyed the eye candy and dynamically-designed fights. Broken down into these shorter episodes, we can surely expect the action to take the forefront, with tiny smidgens of character development along the way. This is really Ahsoka's story, since the core characters' destinies are already firmly in place.

I was in the toy aisle the other day and got a little snapshot of what being a kid is in 2008. Two young boys had a mess of lightsabers piled up in the aisle floor, and they were going back and forth trying to decide if they were going to be Obi-Wan, Anakin, or Darth Vader. That tickled me to hear them enunciate their names so clearly, their love of SW is surely as great for them as it was for me as a wide-eyed seven-year-old who just had his mind blown by ANH.

The constant attacks on Clone Wars for being a kid's movie are lost on me... all the SW movies are kids' movies, barring Sith. I can understand some fans' resentment that the series isn't growing up with them. But i'm kinda glad to see GL is mindful to keep SW for the younglings. Some of us oldings still get a kick out of it too!

sandiegojones

CasualJeff said:
So, sandiego have you seen it yet? You and I seem to see pretty eye to eye when it comes to Star Wars/Indy movies.

I was planning on taking my son to see it this weekend, but stuff has come up and now I'm not sure if we'll be able to go. I'd love to hear how it is as a bond-with-your-son experience.

CasualJeff, I saw it today with my son. It's actually pretty good, for a kids film. It doesn't pretend to be anything but a movie for young boys so it totally succeeds at that. Fanboys and GL haters will continue to b!tch though because they can't let go of the fact the they outgrew SW years ago. The theater was sold out and filled with boys 3-10 (and the random 30 year old geeks). They all liked it. My son liked it too and he's not really too familiar with SW yet.

At first, when I bought my tickets at the box office I was suspicious as they handed me a big fold out advertisement from Target with my tickets stubs. I was afraid this was just going to be a big toy commercial so that I'd remember to buy the action figures on my way home. This was not entirely the case though.

I was surprised that there was some cleverness in the film even if the story was just mediocre. Still, it's easy for kids to follow which is the point. It was never as bad as some harsh reviewers have claimed (even Ziro the purple Hutt). If you absolutely hate the PT though, this may not be your cup of tea. The animation was also decent. It's not Wall-E or Panda (each of which cost $150 million or more to produce, which is more than any of the PT films even cost), but it was made for TV and for a TV production it's excellent compared to other CGI shows I've seen. Everything in the movie looked like it was hand painted which gave it a cool look given the limited resources compared the the other CG films I mentioned. The clone warriors were also given an opportunity to develop a little bit of individual personalities which will likely be the more entertaining part of the show.

Overall, is it silly? Yes for the most part but there is some fun to be had if you don't take it all too serious. Is it bad? No, not unless you really hate the PT and also can't tolerate kiddie show humor. I'm a dad, so compared to the stuff I've been forced to watch, this is practically like Law and Order or CSI! If this were an actual film or the other upcoming live action show in the series I'd be way more critical, but I can't bring myself to complain that much over a kids show. This show pretty much has the same impact that some of the video game releases have, not an "event", but serviceable. Will I watch the show? Maybe here and there while my son is watching or because it'll probably look cool in HD when it hits TNT.

Mike00spy

Wait a minute- I read an opinion on the film from someone who has seen it??? That is just simply out of character for this thread. Can't we go back to people bashing the film? You know, the ones who won't even see it and who are not even the intended audience?

TheMutt92

Got this off wikipedia. It's a good point:

"Not all of the reaction to the film was universally negative. David Germain of the Associated Press gave the view that "'Clone Wars' is fun but forgettable". He also addressed some of the criticism of the animation style by saying that the "jerky motions" would "probably be less noticeable once the "Clone Wars" adventures move to the small screen." Critical reaction to an episode of The Clone Wars was almost overwhelmingly positive. This suggests that negative reaction to the film (a pilot episode for the series) was more due to the format's unsuitability for a feature film and that the film's storyline was the main issue."

So there, we can all say George prematurely ruined his new tv show (which as far as I'm concerned looks good) with something he thought would look great on the big screen.

Deckard

TheMutt92 said:
Got this off wikipedia. It's a good point:

"Not all of the reaction to the film was universally negative. David Germain of the Associated Press gave the view that "'Clone Wars' is fun but forgettable". He also addressed some of the criticism of the animation style by saying that the "jerky motions" would "probably be less noticeable once the "Clone Wars" adventures move to the small screen." Critical reaction to an episode of The Clone Wars was almost overwhelmingly positive. This suggests that negative reaction to the film (a pilot episode for the series) was more due to the format's unsuitability for a feature film and that the film's storyline was the main issue."

So there, we can all say George prematurely ruined his new tv show (which as far as I'm concerned looks good) with something he thought would look great on the big screen.

Ah, if George had a nickle everytime someone used his name and the word premature or ruined in the same sentence, he wouldn't have to keep prematurely ruining things from the past for money. Why doesnt he just take up a collection from his 501st army instead of making another movie.

Goonie

Is there a scene in the movie where Obi-wan climbs into a lead-lined fridge to survive an attack by seperatists? :hat:

Goonie

What about Obi lightsaber fighting between two speeders while getting hit in the nuts by CGI cactus?

sandiegojones

Agent Spalko said:
No but Anakin swings from vines to elude a band of angry Wookies on Kashyyyk.
Is there a thread you don't troll in?

If it weren't for GL there'd be no Raven thread for you to keep *****ing in since The Raider wouldn't exist.

iLUVINDY

I hate how people talk crap about this movie, it is a awesome movie. and its obviously aimed at kids. You cant compare them to the live action movies. Its a great animated movie, another side of Star Wars we haven't seen. I saw it opening day in a packed theater. Another thing, people say the animation sucks, well its not meant to be realistic its a cool "Funky/Different" style of animation. Great Film, funny and has great action. Stop Hating people :mad:

The Man

Lucas must leave behind the business of film and return to his true calling: exorcism...

lucasportman_wideweb__430x306.jpg

"Demonnnnsssssss........out!!!"

Young Indy

I saw this film opening night and I enjoyed it. It was definitiley better than the old Clone Wars series but not as good as the live action. I watched Episode II before I watched this film and it is not as good. It was just a special treat to see a television series premiere in the theater and I am waiting impaitently to the well reviewed televison show that is coming.