KOTCS: FAQ Thread

sandiegojones

Udvarnoky said:
The Nazcans/Ughas always believed in the gods/aliens before they ever came down to earth, and that may have been what made the aliens select them in the first place.
Nazca believing in aliens before they came doesn't make sense to me (the concept of space travel prior ever seeing a ship is far fetched), but perhaps the Nazca had encountered the aliens in the past, built the lines and stuff for them, and later some went off to build Akator. The ones left behind eventually lost contact. When they found/killed Orellana they knew what they had, buried him with the skull and waited for the aliens to return.

Udvarnoky

sandiegojones said:
Nazca believing in aliens before they came doesn't make sense to me (the concept of space travel prior ever seeing a ship is far fetched), but perhaps the Nazca had encountered the aliens in the past

That's possible, but with regard to how people can believe in something without seeing it, remember that all religion is based on faith. The real Nazcans after all bound their children's heads with rope. And anyway, there's no indication that the indians thought in terms of space travel or spaceships, only that their gods lived in the heavens and had elongated craniums. Their beliefs just happened to turn out to be "real."

sandiegojones

Udvarnoky said:
That's possible, but with regard to how people can believe in something without seeing it, remember that all religion is based on faith. The real Nazcans after all bound their children's heads with rope. And anyway, there's no indication that the indians thought in terms of space travel or spaceships, only that their gods lived in the heavens and had elongated craniums. Their beliefs just happened to turn out to be "real."
Yes, but we're talking about two thousand years ago. How would one come up with UFO's and aliens without having knowledge of electricity or even simple tools? The concept of space travel vs. heaven is different. From the film we see drawings of the aliens teaching the Ugha simple techniques for farming and infrastructure so I don't think the Ugha or Nazca would make such leaps.

Religion is something a little different since it isn't based on science, especially Mesoamerican cultures because their "Gods" were based on nature. Most people of faith "believe" because of the testament of others. First hand accounts of encounters would make someone a believer. This is why I believe that the aliens came first.

Udvarnoky

sandiegojones said:
Yes, but we're talking about two thousand years ago. How would one come up with UFO's and aliens without having knowledge of electricity or even simple tools?

Believe me, they had way better than simple tools two thousand years ago. The Nazcans did some pretty amazing things (the Nazca lines being one) that still manage to astound people to this today. The functional aqueducts, their pottery, textiles...ancient civilizations were extremely sophisticated. Where do you think all of these legends about their needing gods to come and teach them technology came from?

I don't understand what you would really need to "come up" with UFOs other than imagination. And remember, just because they were thinking of the possibility of otherworldly beings doesn't mean they were thinking specifically of flying saucers or spaceships like the kind you'd find in a 1950s kids magazine. The beings they worshiped just happened to turn out to be aliens, or the aliens thought that what the Nazcans were worshiping were close enough to them that they were worthy of being the chosen tribe.

But anyway, I think either theory makes about the same amount of sense. I'm just happy that the movie was able to encourage this kind of discussion.

IndyJr.

"Get That Greaser" Bar Scene Music

What was the music used in the "get that greaser" scene that started as soon as the fight started? (not the score music, the 50's music).

metalinvader

Shake,Rattle and Roll by Bill Haley and the Comets.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MpT8Sd9wRlQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MpT8Sd9wRlQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Great scene.The music,I thought was very appropriate for the brief few seconds it was played.

IndyJr.

Thanks!

I really loved that scene... one of the best in Indy history...

"Get that greaser!"

bar fight

"Shake, rattle and roll!"

Nurhachi1991

IndyJr. said:
What was the music used in the "get that greaser" scene that started as soon as the fight started? (not the score music, the 50's music).

Your kidding me?

This was one of Bill Haley's best songs.

Avilos

IndyJr. said:
what was the best song?

Best how? Bill Haley's best song?

If that is the case its ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK. Arguably the first Rock N Roll song ever. Certainly the song that popularized the emerging sound in the mid 50s. It was used as the title song to George Lucas's film American Graffiti.

tastethecourage

Ugh. I don't like Haley's version.

It was originally recorded by Big Joe Turner and in my opinion was a lot better. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/20Feq_Nt3nM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/20Feq_Nt3nM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Indy's brother

tastethecourage said:
It was originally recorded by Big Joe Turner and in my opinion was a lot better. :)

I like both, but BJT's version would have sucked ass in that scene. I thought Bill Haley's version was pitch perfect for the 10 seconds that it played. It actually made me laugh out loud the first three times I saw it, along with plastering a big smile on my face. I think that was the intent, so mission accomplished.

AtomicAge

Avilos said:
Best how? Bill Haley's best song?

If that is the case its ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK. Arguably the first Rock N Roll song ever. Certainly the song that popularized the emerging sound in the mid 50s. It was used as the title song to George Lucas's film American Graffiti.

Rock Around the Clock wasn't even close to being the first "rock and roll" song, Bill Haley had hits himself in 1953 with Crazy Man, Crazy and in 1954 with Shake, Rattle and Roll. However it was the first to reach the top of the American record charts in 1955 as a result of being selected as the title song for the movie Blackboard Jungle.

Doug