Timeline speculation: the bomb test

Burke

Nothing big, just thought I'd pass along that there was an atomic bomb test at the Nevada Proving Grounds, June 24, 1957 (among other times that year).

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sci_9aw.htm

I always like to frame movies based in the past on an event, especially when a specific date isn't given. This bomb test could be the one that Indy and Mac allegedly narrowly escape.

(I was just clicking around and thought to check out bombs in 1957, all my work's done)

Perhilion

How can you narrowly escape a nuclear explosion? I'd figure it's either you get out way ahead of time or you die.

Burke

Perhilion said:
How can you narrowly escape a nuclear explosion? I'd figure it's either you get out way ahead of time or you die.

Beats me. That's why I included "allegedly". :)

UltimateManGod

I remember reading that they survive in a fridge. I don't think you'd want to try that though. It's in a couple places around here. I honestly don't think that there will be a nuclear explosion escape in the film.

God'sRadio

It depends how big. If it was a tactical nuke with a small yield and you were a decent distance and protected from blast and heat you could. Worth noting that the "fridge scene" is actually a fridge in a trench in the SMFM script. Fallout would be a bigger problem - in the script Indy gets scrubbed raw afterwards to wash off the rd dust.

commontone

Perhilion said:

Maybe the rocket sled figures into this? The clock is ticking down..2 minutes..and they can't get this damn emergency rocket sled (?) to start up. Tick tock, tick tock, 45 seconds..finally it gets going, then shuts off again...Mac furiously working the choke..again it gets going, 30 seconds, they buckle up and blast off at 250 mph...the bomb accidentally goes off a little early, and they're out of the death zone but the shock wave sends them skidding for half a mile across the desert.

I don't know, just combining two rumors. It could work. Maybe.*

*Maybe.

OhioJones

commontone said:
Maybe the rocket sled figures into this? The clock is ticking down..2 minutes..and they can't get this damn emergency rocket sled (?) to start up. Tick tock, tick tock, 45 seconds..finally it gets going, then shuts off again...Mac furiously working the choke..again it gets going, 30 seconds, they buckle up and blast off at 250 mph...the bomb accidentally goes off a little early, and they're out of the death zone but the shock wave sends them skidding for half a mile across the desert.

I don't know, just combining two rumors. It could work. Maybe.*

*Maybe.
Except Indy is with a Russian on the sled.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Plumbbob Hood, at 74kt on July 5th 1957, was the largest atmospheric test ever in North America. I don't know if it blew any houses down, but it fried some piggies. Lucas will probably use a composite of tests, but I think he'd be tempted to pin the exact date on this one.

So here's my synopsis guess: Indy escapes the warehouse to the sled, rockets out of there and jettisons the russkie, several miles away wanders into the diner and tries to used the phone (scene with poodle skirts in roadster being warned away goes here), wanders outside and sees mannequins, hears the air raid siren countdown, jumps into a gutted car, runs into a house and pulls a fridge over himself (spotted by army personnel with binoculars). After the dust settles, he pushes the lid open from under the sand, and a decontamination team pulls up in suits to remove him. And I think he'll be covered in product placements, like the nonperishable Twinkie.:)

Kingsley

Moedred said:
So here's my synopsis guess: Indy escapes the warehouse to the sled, rockets out of there and jettisons the russkie, several miles away wanders into the diner and tries to used the phone (scene with poodle skirts in roadster being warned away goes here), wanders outside and sees mannequins, hears the air raid siren countdown, jumps into a gutted car, runs into a house and pulls a fridge over himself (spotted by army personnel with binoculars). After the dust settles, he pushes the lid open from under the sand, and a decontamination team pulls up in suits to remove him. And I think he'll be covered in product placements, like the nonperishable Twinkie.:)

Don't worry!
the "bad effects" from radiation will be neutralized with the remaining "good effects" from grail... it's so logical! ;)
I see those kinds of explanation coming in the future

misnomer

well I think it's likely that the warehouse will be within the blast radius of the nuke- so it would seem that someone wants to get rid of the ark and alot of other secrets

Darth Vile

That would certainly be an interesting plot point i.e. someone wanting to get rid of the evidence/sabotage the technology...

The Man

What if the Ark wipes out a small part of New Mexico? It's already vamoosed a Nazi audience, so who knows what it could do.

Ska

misnomer said:
well I think it's likely that the warehouse will be within the blast radius of the nuke- so it would seem that someone wants to get rid of the ark and alot of other secrets

Wow...I like that idea!

NoCamels

That's an interesting idea. I'd think there would be an easier way to get rid of a secret warehouse than to arrange a nuclear bomb, though. Unless the warehouse was built as part of the fake city and the secret items were snuck into it for destruction.

My boss watched a 1950s atomic test (in person) when he was in the military and swears up and down that it never had any effect on him. He's very spry at 70+ years old. I guess if Indy was at the edge of the blast the fridge thing wouldn't be too outlandish.

Paden

NoCamels said:
I guess if Indy was at the edge of the blast the fridge thing wouldn't be too outlandish.
Especially if it was a Maytag. ("With over a century of uncompromising quality, Maytag products are built to last.") (y)

Paden

You've gotta admit, it's a great product placement opportunity. The camera could catch a good shot of the manufacturer's name as Indy and Mutt stride away from the irradiated fridge. :)

Pale Horse

Staff member
an aside to Paden

Paden said:
You've gotta admit, it's a great product placement opportunity. The camera could catch a good shot of the manufacturer's name as Indy and Mutt stride away from the irradiated fridge. :)

ahem, paden, sir...excuse me. But, he doesn't recognize the error. He's not in on the joke. I am so sorry to have to do this, sir.