Indy almost dying of typhus

SterankoII

In KOTCS Indy tells Mutt that he almost died of typhus, looking for Akator. If it happened in the time between TOD and Raiders, it would explain why Indy is skinnier in the latter movie! They set TOD a year before Raiders but they also had Harrison Ford bulk up and get more muscle because he would have his shirt off for a lot of the movie.

|ZiR|

I like it! I'm just not sure if there's room in the timeline for it. Not certain, but I think that there might be a book that already happens inbetween the films.

IndyJr.

And besides, you can easily make a film and throw out the books. :p

GL's movie making doesn't revolve around the books. The books revolve around the films. They're not exactly correct in all things.

TheMutt92

SterankoII said:
In KOTCS Indy tells Mutt that he almost died of typhus, looking for Akator. If it happened in the time between TOD and Raiders, it would explain why Indy is skinnier in the latter movie! They set TOD a year before Raiders but they also had Harrison Ford bulk up and get more muscle because he would have his shirt off for a lot of the movie.

Sorta makes sense, though I would like Lucasfilm to come out with a book or something detailing this event (in addition to all the other stuff they mentioned in the movie).

Sparrow

Makes sense to me. Although, I agree that it would be interesting to see some kind of novel or something outlining this. There's so much potential.

Snakes

There a lot of Indy adventures the mention in the films that have never really been expanded upon (that I know of).

Erik Pflueger

It would be pointless to do a movie about it - the El Dorado/Akator stuff is now used already, and seeing two movies in a row on the subject would be nothing any audience would necessarily want, especially when one considers that, on the expedition in which he caught typhus, he failed to find it. It's one thing to have a film where Indy fails to keep the MacGuffin - that happens in every film - but it's quite another to have a film where he fails to even find it.

Rizladog1066

In raiders of the lost ark it’s starts in the jungle later with a golden statue and a large bolder later on it shows you him in Cairo or somewhere like that in the gun fight scene and swords man he was actually suffering from typhus in real life while filming that scene which means he contracted it In the jungle looking for the golden city.

Finn

Staff member
he was actually suffering from typhus in real life
You should brush up your knowledge on infectious diseases; Ford was suffering from TD, so-called "Montezuma's revenge", or simply "the runs", which messes up your bowels but is usually relatively mild and goes away on its own - not typhus, which is a far more severe disease and always requires treatment. One sure as heck isn't up and running about filming action scenes while suffering a case of the latter.

Ender

Going out a limb here. The unproduced Young Indy episode "Brazil, December 1921" had Indy and Belloq join Percy Fawcett on the search for his infamous lost city. They end up finding a confederate plantation instead. It's probably not a reference to that or anything else in particular, but it certainly could be, especially given the film referenced "Mexico, March 1916" with the whole Pancho Villa thing. The scripts for unproduced Young Indy episodes were never released so we don't know what they might have contained.

BlueCoronado

Going out a limb here. The unproduced Young Indy episode "Brazil, December 1921" had Indy and Belloq join Percy Fawcett on the search for his infamous lost city. They end up finding a confederate plantation instead. It's probably not a reference to that or anything else in particular, but it certainly could be, especially given the film referenced "Mexico, March 1916" with the whole Pancho Villa thing. The scripts for unproduced Young Indy episodes were never released so we don't know what they might have contained.
Found myself looking for those scripts. I just got a copy of the "war years" for my collection, and remembered the unproduced 3rd season. Supposedly there's some footage that was shot. Must be in the Lucasfilm vault.