Secret of Monkey Island 2 Indy References

fenris

Has anyone played this game?

Well, they've come up with a special edition like they did with the first game.

I found this while playing it.

SOMI2_IndyRef02.jpg

A book by Indy?

SOMI2_IndyRef01.jpg

Indy's whip!

Also Guybrush sometimes has this line, "I'm selling these fine leather jackets!"

Finn

Staff member
fenris said:
Has anyone played this game?
No, none of us has bothered to check out this adventure gaming classic that originally came out in 1991. Especially years before the SE. We're just that dense.

fenris said:
Well, they've come up with a special edition like they did with the first game.
*gasp* Really? Where can I get it?

And yes, those references have been in there ever since. But nice to see the younger generation is coming across them also.

<small>My apologies for the sarcasm overload in this message.</small>

fenris

Well, I'm not exactly what you would call young... Hehehe.

I played the original game waaaaayyyy waaaayyyy back. But never noticed the book reference (too many cards in the card catalogue). The Indy bullwhip I did remember seeing that before, but it was really too pixelated that I probably forgot about it.

The line he uses, "I'm selling these fine leather jackets." has always been a source of humor for me since the Last Crusade game came out.

Indy Geek

LOL. I also one of the ones that played these games wwwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy back. These in-jokes (especially Indy references) has always been on Lucas Games.

I think on the Monkey Island games there are reference to the snakes (a known Indy phobia) and on the MI2 there is the scene that Guybrush steals a Book from a fat Governor (reference to the Indys switching sandbag for the Golden Idol).

But, nevertheless is always good to revisit this things. Aahhhh Nostalgia....

Last edited:

Calo

Its obviously because the guys that made the Secret of Monkey Island games, made the IJ: Fate of Atlantis game... right?

A special edition of FoA should be released.:D

fenris

Calo said:
A special edition of FoA should be released.:D

I totally agree with you on this.

Oh, I also saw that idol reference when Guybrush was trying to steal the book from the fat governor. I also love the SOMI series. But there's very little in merchandise to even try to collect 'em. The boxes? Probably okay to display - I wish I'd kept 'em. But no toys except for the one statuette in the starwarsshop. I lost the pirate wheel from the first game (the copyright protection they used before)... that was cool.

Finn

Staff member
Calo said:
Its obviously because the guys that made the Secret of Monkey Island games, made the IJ: Fate of Atlantis game... right?
Not exactly. The masterminds behind the MI series and FoA are not the same. All they share is a publisher. This is naturally something a bit of basic web searching would have told you...

A more correct statement would be that it's the Lucas company habit to throw these in-jokes connected to their other franchises. The game has a fair bit of Star Wars, Sam&Max and Day of the Tentacle references too, to name a few. I doubt most gamers even catch 'em all.

Indy Geek

I agree with Finn. There also a lot of references to other Lucas games, even to the old Zack Mccracken.;) At the time, when this old one came out, I had a Monochromatic monitor and I didn´t full realize what was on the background. Later on, with the rising of the first CGA, EGA and the (at the time) marvelous VGA monitors, it proved to be a better experience to play these games.(y)
I remembered at the time, I had to get a copy, from a copy, from a copy of the codes to play the Indy's Last Crusade, cause the first copy of the game I get was a demo. :( I could only play with Indy inside the University!!! When I got the codes and manage to play the full game was GREAT!(y)
I wonder if these youth realize what was to play the first adventure games without the help of the internet? I had to spend HOURS on a certain puzzle to get the solution, or wait (with some luck) for some friend of mine to know the answer.
And more...some solutions were just stupid actions you had to preform, like to use and unthinkable item on a unthinkable place.

Last edited:

fenris

I think it took me a week or more to finish the last crusade game. No internet, EGA graphics... If I get stuck on a puzzle, I'd ask classmates who might have info. Usually we'd all play at the same time and update each other on our progress at school. The bad thing was if we all get stuck on the same puzzle, we usually have no one else to turn to.

Perhilion

Finn said:
No, none of us has bothered to check out this adventure gaming classic that originally came out in 1991. Especially years before the SE. We're just that dense.

*gasp* Really? Where can I get it?

And yes, those references have been in there ever since. But nice to see the younger generation is coming across them also.

<small>My apologies for the sarcasm overload in this message.</small>
wow, unnecessary dickishness, much?

Indy Geek

fenris said:
I think it took me a week or more to finish the last crusade game. No internet, EGA graphics... If I get stuck on a puzzle, I'd ask classmates who might have info. Usually we'd all play at the same time and update each other on our progress at school. The bad thing was if we all get stuck on the same puzzle, we usually have no one else to turn to.

Fenris, you exactly describe the feeling at the time.(y)

fenris

Oh, yeah... I did notice that in the game. Kate Capsize... hehe. But as I made this topic, it never crossed my mind.