21st Birthdays?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
My 21st Birthday is coming up and am doing a small party of friends and immediate family at my place then going out on a club tour whilst in costume in the whole time! I guess what I would like to know from Raveners what kind of things they did for their 21sts (or 18ths) and things they would like to do if they haven't come of age yet.

I'm still gathering some ideas in terms of decorations and perhaps theming the decorations, though nothing too extreme as we are at my place for a couple of hours max for the tradition side of the party, eg cake, finger food, pressies, etc.

indy34

I can't really speak for myself because I haven't had my 18th or 21st but both my brothers have. The youngest of my older brothers on his 18th just had drinks all night with friends at home, not really much there besides the fact that he literally vegitablized him self from drinking so much:rolleyes: and my eldest brother just had his 21st at the start of this year he didn't really do much but at least he didn't put himself into a comatose, but he had a few drinks at home with friends then they all caught a maxi-taxi into the city. So nothing really exciting for ideas for your birthday but atleast you know what other people did:hat:

Agent Crab

I hardly remember my 21st birthday. All I remember was my friend giving me a can of beer as a gag gift and getting my first mixed drink.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like a good plan, Violet!

What intrigued me about your question was that it took me some time to actually remember what I did that night...five years (what?) ago (I'm 23). I had a party with a bunch of close and not so close friends and invited all of them to come a couple of hours earlier that night to watch The Big Lebowski at my place. Of course, not too many people came for the movie but the actual party was really swell. My brother took care of the music that night (it was really crucial to me that the music would be (what I consider) fantastic and that folks wouldn't pop their favorite cds in the player every two minutes...) and my friends and myself (...and my mom!!) prepared some delicious food. There was plenty of alcohol,... people were happy, a few folks danced...it was all good. :)

In the end, though, when you're 18 or 21 ...there are still many hopefully rampant and crazy parties ahead... it's not like this one night will be the ultimate celebration of your life.

Last edited:

Niteshade007

I don't know if this is big on all college campuses or just ours, but my friend turned 21 this week, and when girls turn 21 they wear giant signs around their necks, usually in the shape of a drink or heart or something, depending on your theme. On the sign is a list of 21 things you have to do before the night is up. The list we came up with included everything from:

Proposing to the bouncer
Introducing yourself to 5 strangers using 5 different Disney princess names
Finding 2 Mikes and a Steve to take a picture with...just random stuff like that.

There are also alcohol related things, like chugging a bear and taking a shot without using your hands.

Oh, we also had her tell the bartender who gave her her first drink that she loved him. Later, she had to go back to the same bartender and demand to know why he hadn't returned her calls.

Just fun stuff like that. Have fun!

Canyon

Violet, wonderful to hear that you are approaching your 21st birthday. :D

My 21st was, ahem, back in the 90's (1994 to be precise) :whip: and I don't remember do anything specific, but what you have suggested sounds good. :D Just don't forget to have fun! :hat:

The Man said:
I challenge you to get kicked out of 21 pubs on the night...

*hic*

The Man, you are a bad influence! *wags finger* :p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The Man said:

*hic*

LOL! There isn't that many where I live! :p

Niteshade007 said:
I don't know if this is big on all college campuses or just ours, but my friend turned 21 this week, and when girls turn 21 they wear giant signs around their necks, usually in the shape of a drink or heart or something, depending on your theme. On the sign is a list of 21 things you have to do before the night is up. The list we came up with included everything from:

Proposing to the bouncer
Introducing yourself to 5 strangers using 5 different Disney princess names
Finding 2 Mikes and a Steve to take a picture with...just random stuff like that.

There are also alcohol related things, like chugging a bear and taking a shot without using your hands.

Oh, we also had her tell the bartender who gave her her first drink that she loved him. Later, she had to go back to the same bartender and demand to know why he hadn't returned her calls.

Just fun stuff like that. Have fun!

LMAO! I never thought of that. I'll have enough trouble to conjure up on the night as the party tour does a few party games and as the birthday girl, will probably be forced into doing one. I have been on the tour before just to see what it was like before I decided that the party tour was right for the birthday party and the first game they do on the night is not as bad as the later ones, so will probably go with that one.

torao said:
Sounds like a good plan, Violet!

What intrigued me about your question was that it took me some time to actually remember what I did that night...five years (what?) ago (I'm 23). I had a party with a bunch of close and not so close friends and invited all of them to come a couple of hours earlier that night to watch The Big Lebowski at my place. Of course, not too many people came for the movie but the actual party was really swell. My brother took care of the music that night (it was really crucial to me that the music would be (what I consider) fantastic and that folks wouldn't pop their favorite cds in the player every two minutes...) and my friends and myself (...and my mom!!) prepared some delicious food. There was plenty of alcohol,... people were happy, a few folks danced...it was all good.

In the end, though, when you're 18 or 21 ...there are still many hopefully rampant and crazy parties ahead... it's not like this one night will be the ultimate celebration of your life.

Sounds like your 18th was fun. I did have a small 18th with again some family and friends, we had dinner at a German restaurant and played some silly German games. It was great fun.

But yeah, coz my place isn't that big (and we're renting) it wasn't suitable to hold the whole party and decided going out was for the best. I just don't know enough people to pull off a function room party so went with the party tour, this way everyone gets what they want (the kind of music they like, venue they like and we get to go bowling at a bowling bar as well, which is fun). I got a pretty sweet deal with the tour and they've giving all the guests and myself extra freebies and discounts for clubs and local attractions and I get to have the costume party I've always wanted.

I don't really get to go to as many parties as I'd like but I have my fingers crossed that there will be more fun parties ahead (especially coz a few of my friends are turning 21 as well).

Finn

Staff member
The Man said:

*hic*
A related challenge is to wake up in a bed other than your own in the following morning...

Extra points for every other inhabitant. Doubled, if you don't know who they are.

AlivePoet

Finn said:
A related challenge is to wake up in a bed other than your own in the following morning...

Extra points for every other inhabitant. Doubled, if you don't know who they are.

Tripled, if they're of the same gender?*

*Or at least possess homologous genitalia?

DocWhiskey

34dpxdy.jpg

Awkwaaaard.

Indy Byrd

My 21st birthday really sucked. It was the day after 9/11 and me and my wife at the time had split up, so my family had a cook out for me at thier place and then I drove home alone and drank some Jack Daniels while watching the news coverage of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
*ba-bump*

21stBDay-TheBedroom.jpg

A pic from my 21st. It was ok, not great. Quite a few strange things happened. A lot of my friends for some reason just wouldn't get up and dance (and the music was actually ok, so I don't know what the problem was), my best friend lost her purse (and her mobile phone for the second time this year, she's such a klutz), all the guys were hitting on her (instead of the b'day girl), a couple of uninvited friends of friends turned up, which most of the guests decided to leave and hang with instead AND these Irish guys were convinced that I receive 21 kisses on the cheek (ok, that last part wasn't bad, lol. I actually enjoyed that, and in fact they were too bad looking either).

Mine was back in September. It was... pretty uneventful.

Went out and saw Annie Hall with a friend of mine. That much was chill-- he was also director of photography on my last film and a very close friend and so we talked Woody Allen all the way home. We went back to my place with the intent of doing a few shots. That was his first time trying Whisky of any sort (though we had Scotch). He didn't like and so I was left to pick up his slack. Got really smashed-- he left and I went to my room and... drank some more. Got up at 5am to go to school. I was hung over as all hell the next day and I hadn't even done much in the way of celebrating, alas...

Still... at least Annie Hall was fun. And the ultra-cheap whisky seemed... somehow fitting. I did some better whisky by myself the next night, but... Eh...

I suppose it was decent.