Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

DiscoLad

Played Black Ops at my friends today. It is basically Halo 3 with CoD.

All the noobs from Modern Warfare 2 came right on over and made a home...

Expect campers, noob tubers, cheapos, and drop shotters...

This includes but is not limited to:
Jump shotters, prone noobs, hip shotters, spray n' prayers, spawn killers, and moders...

Well at least they got rid of quick scopers....
*cough*
Im playing, but it is a decent game and I'll get it sometime next week.

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:

Jump shotters, prone noobs, hip shotters, spray n' prayers, spawn killers, and moders...

*cough*

Damn, I don't speak that type of talk! I know what a camper is, and that's about it.
And, all of the annoying players is why I distance myself from online.

DiscoLad

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Damn, I don't speak that type of talk! I know what a camper is, and that's about it.

Im sure if a tried I can find more names. :p

But yeah it is a great game but god it is either hot or cold.
One minute you are on top of the free world and raping then 3 seconds later BAM you are getting back to back pwned by some freak with whammy shells. Im tellin ya.

... *Sigh*

KiKi Kat

Lonsome_Drifter said:

Thats because he prefers to dress in his leg warmers, Jack Tripper shorts, with a cut-off shirt and dance to "Wake Me Up Before You GoGo!!".

Nurhachi1991

DiscoLad said:

*cough*

Well if you dont suck at COD you can make fast work of these newbs....

Finn

Staff member
Lost Horizon - my 2c

I just finished this traditional point'n'click adventure game by German developer Deep Silver promises to bring the 'A' back into grand adventure. And I must confess, everything from the promotional art to the first fifteen minutes of gameplay promises to do just that. The game's opening titles play over a musical number in an oriental nightclub (sound familiar?) and during that first quarter you've already escaped three different 'certain death' situations with your brains & brawn. It's a game where you can't swing a dead cat and not hit an Indiana Jones reference (counted four over that quarter and one to Monkey Island, as a bonus).

The game's plot is straight out of that lovely, senseless pulp writer's handbook we all love. Fenton Paddock is an ex-officer in the British Colonial Army and now a part-time smuggler and a full-time boozer and womanizer who gets strongarmed to mount a rescue operation when the son of the Colonial Governor of Hong Kong goes missing in the Himalayas. Apparently, those wacky Nazis are up to something in the mountains, seeking for a place of great power that just might give old Adolf a one-up in taking over the world. They're lead by a ruthless female officer who apparently is a love child born out of a secret affair between Elsa Schneider and Irina Spalko.

While the game's story and theme is pure glee for anyone who fancies him- or herself an Indyfan, does the rest of the experience hold up to the promise and expectations? Unfortunately the answer is that sometimes it does, and sometimes it just falls flat short. The game's technical details aren't exactly up to closer scrutiny and the product as a whole could have used just a few more tins of polish.

Graphically, the background art is colorful, brilliant and the locales are full of little detail. Unfortunately, the character models are not up to snuff, but are about five years dated for modern standards. Yes, this is an adventure game and such things have rarely been top of the line, but it becomes rather jarring since the game loves closeup shots and honestly, sometimes it feels they were able to make the low-polygon Indy convey more emotion in more-than-a-decade old IM than Fenton & co.

And to add to the insult, it doesn't help that the game's story is too often brought onwards by lengthy character dialogue or monologue scenes that are essentially talking head montages, some of which may last for minutes. Close your eyes, and you might mistake it for a radio play. Which might be preferable actually, since the lip synching is often off. Notably.

The voice acting too, isn't exactly top notch, at least in the English version. The lines in dialogue are often far too long and loaded with exposition. Which might be one reason why most of the time the voice actors fail to convey any believable emotion, since this often happens when the things you have to say are several sentences long and you'll essentially have to read 'em straight out of notes.

In a game like this, many of the flaws in the production values can be forgiven if the gameplay itself, namely the puzzle design, is good. But unfortunately they follow that same hit'n'miss tradition. Some sequences are brilliant, others instead downright abritrary and technically doing their best to detract you from the story. To give you an example, midway through the game our hero finds himself in Berlin of all the places and - to keep things spoiler-free - let's just say that he needs to find his way into a guarded location. At the beginning of this secquence it is emphasized how he must do this quickly as the time is falling short.

However, in order to do so, you must first come across an item in location A, which you must manipulate in location B and use it in location C to gain another item that helps you to get yet another item back at location A. And the locations, according to the in-game map, are several blocks apart from each other. Sure, this would make sense if they're rare or otherwise priceless items which you couldn't acquire otherwise. But are they? No. They're a rubber glove, a lollipop and a dime you need to fish out of a roadside gutter in order to make a phone call from a public telephone (in location that, naturally is several blocks off from the place you acquire the coin). And the game has not just this one, but in fact three different occasions where you'll have to go through ridiculous hoops to acquire an absolutely miniscule sum of money to solve a puzzle.

Yes, apparently Fenton is completely penniless whenever he hits the ground at any of game's locations, despite just shown using public transportation like planes or trains during the red line secquence cutscenes that take him across the globe. What the hell does he do when he needs to travel, anyway? Seeks out a rich lady and hits on her 'til she buys him a ticket?

The puzzles are logical, though. They don't contain abstract items with abstract uses or other guide dang it moments like Monkey Island for example and there are some truly enjoyable secquences in the mix as well. Which does actually kind of make me wonder if they had a different set of designers come to work every other day. Seriously, if I need to get into a guarded location before a certain event ends, why is apparently the most viable way to do that a goddamn MacGyver scavenger hunt twice around the city? Note that I'm not complaining that you can't just sneak in or blast your way through - it is an adventure game after all - I'm complaining about how this whole part and others of its ilk do all they can to keep you from immersing in what you are supposed to be doing.

Okay, time to wrap it up. While it may sound I'm seriously tearing this product a new one, I must admit, in the end I did enjoy Lost Horizon. Despite all the mediocrity this grand adventure makes us wade through, it still contained enough high points to leave a good enough taste in the end. It's no classic and hardly something I'll take for a second spin, but the truth is that they make so little games like these nowadays, so if the theme is of any interest (and if it isn't, why are you reading this?), take it for a spin.

Indy Scout 117

one game ive been playing is Republic Commando. no matter how old that game is, its still one of my all time favorites!! (y) also the Star Wars Battlefront's 1 & 2, although the first one is my favorite.

Finn

Staff member
Sorry. I'm an academic. And that's still far from 'massive' by my standards.

Have fun getting some frags. Just keep in mind that I'll be holding a test based on that little article later on. And ban everyone who doesn't pass.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Finn said:
Sorry. I'm an academic. And that's still far from 'massive' by my standards.

Have fun getting some frags. Just keep in mind that I'll be holding a test based on that little article later on. And ban everyone who doesn't pass.

Extra credit points for identifying any TvTropes references?

The Drifter

I bought The Sly Collection on PS3 yesterday evening. It's the trilogy of Sly Cooper games that came out on the PS2 a few years ago. The games are completely overhauled with full HD graphics and trophy support.
I've read nothing but great things about these three games. I never had a chance to play them, so I am looking forward to starting the first one later tonight.