Indy Rip-offs: Lego Adventures

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pretty cool, I may get those. I really just discovered the Johnny Thunder series for the past set, which was all based on Jurassic Park (ugh!), but this is completely Temple of Doom!

Thanks for telling us about those.

Raffey

Kinda neat. He needs a fedora, a gun and a whip! But you can always mix/match with another set.

It is pretty blatantly ToD with a hint of Allan Quartermain and Jungle book tossed into mix to throw off the scent for Lucasfilm's dogs.

I once saw a Johnny Thunder set titled Temple of Gloom (no, really, I did!).

[Edited by Rumpled Fedora on 12-23-2002 at 10:22 am]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rumpled Fedora said:
I once saw a Johnny Thunder set titled Temple of Gloom (no, really, I did!).

[Edited by Rumpled Fedora on 12-23-2002 at 10:22 am]

Yeah, I think Spielberg actually has something to do with that, as it is part of Lego's movie making set, of which Spielberg had input on. It isn't that special (I have it), it has Johnny Thunder, the camera man with the camera, Thunder's gun and hat, a gem, a skull, a scorpion, and some various stuff that can be set up into a few different trap type set-ups.

bob

I dont think we should be too judgemental Indy has entered a part in popular consciousness that has transcended the movies.

Raffey

Well except for Kevin who is calling them a 'rip off.'

I don't think anyone else is being judgemental about the toys. I think they are kind of neat but I'm not much of a Lego person.

I am suprised by the fact that Star Wars legos are offically licensed but the 'adventure' legos aren't.

00Kevin

Indyfan
I'm not quite using rip-off in a bad way, I enjoy the series, and if you want me to prove it I will, but I'ld rather not. so I'm not being judgemental about them, just didn't wanna come up with anything confussing

(but I know you arn't gana believe that, every one hates me)

westford

I like Johnny Thunder's plane! :D

I have actually thought about making a sort of Indy cartoon strip, except with photos of Lego figures instead of drawings (cos I can't draw). It'll have to wait until I get a digital camera though...

***realises someone'll steal her idea now***

Awww, *$&%! ;)

Blue Max

I love the website! Great sound FX.

Those figures are really cool. Its a homage more than a ripoff really.

Still, its a bit weird, cos last i knew Johnny Thunder was the guitarist in the New York Dolls...

If I had kids those would be top of the Xmas list, and the Indy DVDs to go with them.

Oh wait... :)

00Kevin

Indyfan
an early report stated that the toys would be out by january 2003, but it seems they are avaliable now

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, they are available.

I got the elephant caravan, which includes an elephant (Around the world in 80 days sort of thing, with the box on top), a cart pulled behind it, and a car.

The Tygurah's Roar set is essentially a neat little trap set with a large tiger and an explorer (not Johnny Thunder, his Marcus-type friend in the pith helmet).

The other one, called River something or other has a small African Queen type boat, a crocodile, and a statue of some sort that could double for the statue of Kali in front of Pankot Palace.

Venkman

I've bought the Mount-Everest-Temple.
A really nice set with a lot of very creative traps. For example: when you enter the Temple a pair of axes comes down and hit the Minifig.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, I got a couple more:

Scorpion Palace: a Pankot Palace substitute, with a boulder trap, another elephant, 5 people, and some nice decorative stuff including doors, a tapestry, domes, and columns.

Secret of the Tomb: simple little tomb-like thing with a skeleton and the bad guy figure (with the monocle, hook, and top hat)

BTW, the India and Himalayas segments are out so far, but the China segment is not yet released.