Ophidiophobia?

WillKill4Food

This is just a hunch, and a wild one at that.
But, I hypothesisize that Mutt will learn to fear snakes in this new movie.

Why? Well let's look at the "evidence," shall we?

-
We know that Lucas loves father-son parallels. The STAR WARS films are full of Luke-Anakin repetitions. Both lose their arm, both have trouble controlling their anger, both learn from Obi-Wan, etc. Well, doesn't it make sense that both will have a fear of snakes?

-We have already seen several parallells between Mutt and Indy. Assuming that they are father and son: both are named after dogs, both have an interesting first name and a mundane last name, both are rebels, both have an estranged father that they regain companionship with father, both wear jackets, and both have driven a motorcycle with their father riding with them. In this case, it is almost neccessary for Mutt to obtain a fear of snakes during the movie.

-One of the Wave 2 Mutt's is accompanied with a large snake, seemingly indicating that at some point Shia will be in an important/memorable scene with a snake. In a striking parallel, the Wave 3 Eagle Scout Indy from Last Crusade is accompanied by a snake from the scene where Indy gets his fear of snakes.

Thus, I find it incredibily likely that KotCS will feature a scene where Mutt will become afraid of snakes and share in Indy's ophidiophobia.

Action Figure Pictures:
youngindyactionfiguretn7.jpg

Last edited:

RaideroftheArk

I think they will go with an original phobia...just like Henry Sr. Maybe Mutt will be afraid of heights instead of some kind of animal.

ReggieSnake

I tend to think Mutt's will be an original phobia (if any) as well, though not necessarily. Mutt having an ophidiophobia is an interesting idea, it brings us back full circle to Raiders for one thing, especially if Mutt and Indy are related.

Phobias:
Indy: Snakes
Willie: Bugs
Jones Sr.: Rats
Mutt:?

TheLastCrusader

ReggieSnake said:
I tend to think Mutt's will be an original phobia (if any) as well, though not necessarily. Mutt having an ophidiophobia is an interesting idea, it brings us back full circle to Raiders for one thing, especially if Mutt and Indy are related.

Phobias:
I'm hoping scorpions.

WillKill4Food

TheLastCrusader said:
I'm hoping scorpions.
Considering that the phobia's have always corresponded with the creature scenes in the movies, it seems to me that Mutt's phobia will either be ants or snakes. As I don't know many people afraid of ants for some normal reason, I think that he will develop a fear of snakes in this movie. :cool:

Mutt Williams

ReggieSnake said:

Phobias:

Mutt: Big F**king Robots

Or, ok, ants... :p

scifiwolf

I think a better choice is to have Mutt embrace snakes, but be terrified of spiders (or ants). It would be a good twist on Indy's issues in Raiders.

WillKill4Food

I think a better choice is to have Mutt embrace snakes, but be terrified of spiders (or ants). It would be a good twist on Indy's issues in Raiders.
Yeah, I wasn't really suggesting that Mutt fearing snakes would be a good idea. I was just looking at the evidence and thinking, hmmm, it looks like plausible, albeit lame.:)

Goodsport said:
What if Mutt developed a fear of motorcycles and black leather jackets by the end of the film? :eek:
Okay, then.:rolleyes: ;)

Dayne

We can guess that there's going to be a scene featuring a pit of snakes in the new one so... maybe that's where Mutt gets his fear if he does get one. Maybe Mutt won't be afraid of anything, thus representing the arrogance of his character... Though I like the heights thought. That could be brilliant!

No Ticket

I'm pretty sure that Mutt will not fear snakes at all, while Indy will. It would make for a small moment where Mutt has the upper hand (dominance) after a long ride of Indy getting the better of Mutt. If that is indeed how they decide to play off one another in the film.

As for Mutt having a phobia. Uhhhm, I'm sure he does have one. But I don't think it'll be ants. At least, I don't think it will.

Maybe refrigerators. :D

Tom Cook

The quicksand scene will end with Mutt offering Indy a python to hold to get out. There's a picture of Indy's face sinking in the sand, w/ a snake near his face, you know?

And being afraid of giant jungle-ants isn't exactly interesting. Who isn't afraid of rat-sized ants w/ pinchers? It has to be an endearing phobia.

Or maybe you're right... and BOTH Mutt and Indy have to hold both ends of a giang python, Mutt to help Indy get out, Indy to pull himself out, both of them screaming with fear, meanwhile Marion is still sinking, but laughing at them, too.

Finn

Staff member
Please don't call the snake in the picture a python. There are no pythons in South America. It's head is a wrong shape to be a python and it appears rather small for a python anyway. Of course, it can be a baby python... nevertheless, it'd be far from home.

Also, please don't check the hide of the girl sitting in front of you next time you're in a biology class. Listen what the teacher says instead.

oki9Sedo

Finn said:
Also, please don't check the hide of the girl sitting in front of you next time you're in a biology class. Listen what the teacher says instead.

Exactly. If you'd listened, you'd know that there pythons are commonly found in South America, just like Finn said.

Hang on a second.......maybe I should have payed attention too.

MattJones

xelaman said:
what does bioligy have to do with geography

Biology isn't just anatomy and cell structures: ecology and zoology play a role in the subject as well.

Finn said:

Easier said than done, I'm afraid...

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
MattJones said:
Easier said than done, I'm afraid...
Next time pick the girl more carefully. I usually had lean out to the aisle to see the blackboard, but my grades improved drastically.

AHegele

didn't they say in an interview that the snake they got for Kingdom was a python though?

I like the idea of Mutt having a phobia, though i think it would be more creatively suitible if it was something other than snakes. Scorpions (isn't there a hint of a scorpion gag in this film?), spiders, water or heights (interesting angle since there are action scenes involving both). Though it is plausible that the phobia would be creature oriented.