Am I crazy or do I like RotLA the LEAST?

Dr Jones

RotLA is the one for me which holds pure adventure, the one that felt like a true serial adventure. It seemed very simple and very big in all aspects. I admit the end is a stoop down from the trucks and U-boat, but it does boil down to what IS this artifact Indy has been thrown about for all the time in this film. It's nice to see the story fleshed with developing the characters for future visits and moments.

TOD does have a few odd moments but following up RotLA, well it's bound to! There's less confrontation with the bad guys as the Nazis were so prominent in Raiders, and there were less moment for Indy to use chemistry with other characters. But the action never really stops, and the rope-bridge finale is near classic Indy thrills!

TLC is more of a novel, a story about a father and son. I like this way of dealing with strained rellationships but also with a plot that is far interesting and mythical than we think, possibly the link that is more memorable for us as viewers, the Holy Grail. Lots of nice comedy, which we needed after TOD, but again the action stakes are raised and we get an emotional and tense finale, Indy style with action and booby-traps!

I am hoping KotCS will rank near-side RotLA and above TLC and TOD in terms of capturing the more adventure serial feel, this time of the B-movie and 50s culture. I feel there are going to be elements of all three Indy's there, the adventure story, the dark tones and mythical cultures, and the humourous relationships. I can't wait to see him back in his element.

(y)

Sam Falco

My feelings on the series is...

Raiders: The pure-blooded action serial at its best. Indiana Jones' introduction to the world and shows off all his character traits, this is why this movie CAME first, but doesnt TAKE PLACE first.

Doom: The dark second act of the chronology, it has a lot of horror elements and is just made to show how deep even a hero of Indy's stature can sink into the darkness he surrounds himself with.

Crusade: Made to bring Indy out of the bowels of hell and launch him into the light. This is the true character piece of the series and establishes not only where he came from, but shows where he's GOING (IE: his father's presence) and its not about the action like Raiders was, its about the story and the character's development.

Skull: Obviously it hasnt come out yet, so this is pure speculation, but I think this will function as a "Book end" of sorts for the Indy series, it ties back to the pure action standpoint of Raiders, while continuing to showcase Indy's progression from impulsive youth to wisened old man. And (from what we've seen from the "living dead" guardians) has a dash of the horror element from Doom thrown in for good measure.

SPECTER

tp2005 said:
Am I the only one who feels this way?

I actually enjoyed ToD and LC more than Raiders! I found that the latter 2 had more consistent action and I actualy felt board at certain points of Raiders (The Allied U-boat scene).

It seems so absured that I even try to deny it.

My faves list goes as:

1. Last Crusade
2. Temple of Doom
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark

How Dare He???:confused:

jk sorry nothing can top Raiders, Raiders is perfect then LC+TOD come as close as you can get wile not being perfect ala 99.999999999-% all three are in my top 10 movie all time

Mrs_Fedora

SPECTER said:
How Dare He???:confused:

jk sorry nothing can top Raiders, Raiders is perfect then LC+TOD come as close as you can get wile not being perfect ala 99.999999999-% all three are in my top 10 movie all time

I'm crazy too then, for me Raiders is also in 3rd place:

1. LC
2. TOD
3. ROTLA

Sorry....:eek:

monkey man

How many times does Kate Capshaw scream?

Has anyone counted how many times Kate Capshaw screams in TOD?? Over or under 100 times. Worst Indy female character ever. Sorry TOD fans.

mutt willams

|ZiR| said:
I guess I'm crazy too, because Raiders has often been my least favorite.

I can't really explain it, either. I like all the characters, and it has some amazing scenes, but whenever I sit down to watch it I always feel like it just drags on and ooooonnnn.

thats what my mom and brother think aboy TOD

anyways

ROTLA
LC
KOTCS
TOD

The Man

Not sure about favourites, but if I chose to watch one for pure entertainment I'd throw on Last Crusade first.

xelaman

yer, im crazy in many ways, including this

1.tod:best charecter,best girl, best humer, best dialoge, best villlian, best sidekick
2:kotks:best artifact, best action, best creaues, best natives
3:lc: best army, best viecle chase
4:rotla: best chemistry

Benraianajones

monkey man said:
Has anyone counted how many times Kate Capshaw screams in TOD?? Over or under 100 times. Worst Indy female character ever. Sorry TOD fans.

Though I prefer Marion, I think Willie gets a hard time. She was meant to be "annoying", the point was seeing a pampered actress thrown in to a gritty situation, and seeing how she'd cope. If it was a gutsy Marion type woman it would have been nowhere near as effective. Also, Willie really softens near the end, (and gains "balls!") - she punches the guy in the mine cart, she rescues SHorty on the bridge and hug him (previously they'd not really said much to one another that was that polite). By the end of the adventure you realise, despite Shorty/Indy/Willies differences, they have bonded over their near death experiences. Willie's voice when she says "Now - let's get out of here" really has traces of care for everyone involved, as opposed to herself.

As for ROTLA...to be honest, I love it! (Esp the medallion scene)But, I tend to wacth the others more. My brother, thinks ROTLA is the bottom on his list.

vf wing

For years Temple was generally my favorite, due to the non-stop action. Also for years, i held it against Last Crusade that the action/quest took a back seat to character development. Skull makes me realize that's where the focus is now for the filmmakers, ie who the characters are and how they relate are the story, with the action more of a backdrop for their development.

So, i have a much higher appreciation for Crusade now. Raiders will always be most iconic. Temple is the most ballsy, as it is the only one that threw the formula out the window. But in some ways Skull is even more daring, as it seems to open the door for different types of McGuffins. I no longer have a favorite!

yo people every one has their opinions! my list goes
1 ROTLA
2 LC
3 KOTCS
4 Temple

we all have opinions and some are different than others but we are Indiana Jones fans and that's what matters. hats off to the indy fans:hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat:

Indyman4

tp2005 said:
Am I the only one who feels this way?

I actually enjoyed ToD and LC more than Raiders! I found that the latter 2 had more consistent action and I actualy felt board at certain points of Raiders (The Allied U-boat scene).

It seems so absured that I even try to deny it.

My faves list goes as:

1. Last Crusade
2. Temple of Doom
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark

Dude Doom was so boring, and dumb. Some silly stones that will give him some fake fortune and glory that he never got. Way too dramatic and silly.

Indyman4

Indyman4 said:
Dude Doom was so boring, and dumb. Some silly stones that will give him some fake fortune and glory that he never got. Way too dramatic and silly.

my order is Raiders, Kingdom, Crusade, and... finally Temple.

Benraianajones

Indyman4, I am sure many would say the same about your choice of KoTCS being second.

I am not, I like all 4 movies, but I don't think you should go exclaiming other people's faves are dumb.

Indyman4

monkey man said:

YES! Thank you... she was so lame, and.. annoying. And then at the end, after almost a whole movie of them hating each other... they just fall madly in love after all that? It doesn't make sense. Marion is the best... no doubt.

Benraianajones

Who says they fall madly in love? They just formed a bond after almost dying and having rescued one another in the process. Chances are they bedded one another and then went off on their own ways. She even states "no more adventures with you".

She was meant to be annoying as a contrast of Marion. If they had a Marion-like female in TOD, the alteration of Willies character woulldn't be there. (Pampered actress - ends up down and gritty, and realises she does have some inner strength and can cope out of her lifestyle).

bonoferox

Benraianajones said:
She was meant to be annoying as a contrast of Marion. If they had a Marion-like female in TOD, the alteration of Willies character woulldn't be there. (Pampered actress - ends up down and gritty, and realises she does have some inner strength and can cope out of her lifestyle).

I agree with this. I didn't love the character, but she still works in the universe for me.

My list:

1. ROTLA
2. LC
3. KOTCS
4. TOD