Bond 24 - Spectre

Dr. Gonzo

Duaner said:
So is it implied that Bond has a brother, or does anyone have a different interpretation?

That's definitely one interpretation...

The other is that the photograph is of Bond and his parents (who both supposedly died in a skiing accident) and the mother's face/identity has been conveniently burned away...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
That's definitely one interpretation...

The other is that the photograph is of Bond and his parents (who both supposedly died in a skiing accident) and the mother's face/identity has been conveniently burned away...

Bond's mother is Judi Dench?!

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Unlikely, since he didn't trigger that ejector seat.

<small>Mom, I love you. No, really. I do.</small>

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:

Shades of "She's my sister AND my daughter!?

Ah, they don't make movies like that anymore.

New trailer didn't do anything for me. Still hope the story follows my construct above.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:

New trailer didn't do anything for me. Still hope the story follows my construct above.

Whatever do you mean? "Chewie, we're home." will be in the AFI's most culturally significant and game changing cinematic lines ever to be uttered on screen. Forget tangential connection to the actor who spoke the line in your example. New screenwriters are the prophets of a new generation.

Oh, and good to read you again. I've missed your insight and influence.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Whatever do you mean? "Chewie, we're home." will be in the AFI's most culturally significant and game changing cinematic lines ever to be uttered on screen. Forget tangential connection to the actor who spoke the line in your example. New screenwriters are the prophets of a new generation.

Oh, and good to read you again. I've missed your insight and influence.

And I you and yours. Eagerly awaiting your So Cal perspective on San Andreas.

Grizzlor

Movie looks fantastic. I saw Daniel Craig pretty randomly in NYC with wife Rachel about a month ago, and told him so. ha ha.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:

Rarely do I appreciate over-the-top apocalyptic films, though The Day After Tomorrow is a bubblegum guilty pleasure of mine (it's the film I though best held Dennis Quaid as a replacement to the Ford as Indy dilemma). The fact that this San Andreas has 3 separate screenwriters is almost a death knell. Even Daddario won't redeem this one. If you smell-lll-lll-elll what I'm cooking, that is.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
And I you and yours. Eagerly awaiting your So Cal perspective on San Andreas.

Thread Drift much? Sorry I have not been posting much I have been busy donating to charity for 4th graders to run in circles...

Anyhow back to Bond - I have come to the conclusion that at Best a 2 and half hour movie is like a bell curve about 30 minutes of great entertainment, 20 minutes of ok entrainment, 50 minutes of nothing, 20 minutes of slightly disappointing film and 30 minutes of hell.

More drift if San Andreas is 75% as Day after tomorrow I will be very happy

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Finally lightening up a bit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vuMvhJaWIUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:

tumblr_m7lopcxfY11rtlczqo2_r1_500.gif

Dr. Gonzo

Moedred said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vuMvhJaWIUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That spot was like an actually Roger Moore Bond film...

AndyLGR

Been to see Spectre tonight. I won't give too much away.

Story wise it follows in the footsteps of Skyfall in the respect that's it's not too complicated, and there are some neatly contrived events that have happened. But this time Bond is following a trail of bread crumbs
left by Judy Denchs M
to Spectre.

Things are getting a little more familiar now with the opening gun sight titles reinstated, a couple more gags (that work) and now the roles of a male M, Q and Moneypenny are in place too.

One minor gripe I had in the first hour or so was the over use of the Bond motif at every opportunity.

The opening sequence looks fantastic with a seemingly great 1 take shot and a very well done carnival with thousands of extras (real or CGI). Overall the scope of the film is vast with the locations visited and it looks very good.

Arguably it could have done with a little trimming off its near 150 min runtime, but I must admit I didn't get bored, and overall it's no worse than Skyfall and I enjoyed it (I know Skyfall isn't everyone's cup of tea).

It leaves things nicely tied up if Craig decides to leave and they've tried to make it so Craigs films can be watched as one package.

I'd give it a decent 7.5/10

Stoo

AndyLGR said:
...if Craig decides to leave...
When asked about playing Bond again, Daniel Craig reportedly said, "I?d rather break this glass and slash my wrists,"

Thanks for the review, Andy. I trust your opinion.:)

JasonMa

Stoo said:
When asked about playing Bond again, Daniel Craig reportedly said, "I?d rather break this glass and slash my wrists,"
That was taken out of context. If you read the interview where he said that he was asked if he wanted to go play Bond again right now, after having just finished 9 months of filming Spectre. Understandably he wants a break from the taxing filming of a Bond movie before he does it again.

Stoo

JasonMa said:
That was taken out of context.
Perhaps it was taken out of context, as you say, but Craig also said that it's time to "move on" so who knows besides him?:confused:

Despite some cool guitar & audio effects, the "Spectre" theme song is pretty lame. In any case, I'm stoked for this new movie and hope that it'll be better than "Skyfailure".

AndyLGR

Stoo - I hope you like Spectre. Personally I enjoyed Skyfall despite its plot 'conveniences'. To me Spectre follows a similar pattern in its cinematograhpy, its score, its simple plot and also some of its plot devices.

To expand a little on my earlier brief review.

I loved the pre title sequence. In particular the score and the seeming one take shot of the carnival and Bond and his route to his destination.

We then get to what has set Bond off on his latest mission. I won't ruin that.

We get a few more gags in the film, some with Q and some during a chase. They work IMO.

The locations look amazing, its beautifully shot.

The introduction to Oberhausen and the henchman Hinz (I think is his name), was one of the most atmospheric introductions to a Bond villain ever IMO. It was one of the highpoints for me, with the tension palpable in the room they were in. I loved that part.

The scope of the film takes in a lot of locations, this is the Bond we love with different locales.

Bond v Hinz is brutal. A very good fight scene.

The film could have ended at a convenient point which is very obvious in the film, but it continues on to take it further.

Thinking about it after the fact. Oberhausen could have been in it more because I thought he was doing a good job of being a nuts villain.

I've read people criticising some of the call backs to traditional Bond stuff in its imagery, settings and some its scenes. I wont say what they are, but I don't mind that and in the main I think this is well done.

No matter how loose or contrived the plot aspects within the stories seem to be that make it tie together, and no matter if they all work or fall flat, I like that they are trying something different with Craigs tenure as Bond.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
"Spectre" theme song is pretty lame.

It's atrocious. Wake me when the angsty emo MDMA MI-6 agent is actually motivated to do something heroic besides licking his mercurial emotional wounds.

Joosse

I thought it was a pretty decent movie.

But then again, I am one of the people who really liked Skyfall (Sorry about that Stoo) and it's actually my favorite of the Craig era of Bond movies.

In that respect I see a similarity between the Connery movies and the Craig movies, where as these are the third and fourth films, to me Skyfall is like Goldfinger and Spectre is like Thunderball.

Thunderball is a pretty decent movie. But it's no Goldfinger.