TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
Arrow Article: "'Real guy' Indiana Jones ready to return"

A nice if not-too-deep new article on Indy's return over at CNN. Enjoy!
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
This constant comparison with The Dark Knight is so self-defeatist. Maybe - just maybe - we can enjoy both, no?
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
|ZiR|
IndyFan
 
|ZiR|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Mexico / NYC
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
This constant comparison with The Dark Knight is so self-defeatist. Maybe - just maybe - we can enjoy both, no?

No, that is in fact impossible. It's either one or the other.

ONE OR THE OTHER. CHOOSE OR GET OUT.

edit: Am I the only one who think's it's strange that Sean Patrick Flanery got to see a pre-release screening of the film? Seems weird, is all. I wonder how many other Indy alumni got an advance look at KotCS.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
No, that is in fact impossible. It's either one or the other.

ONE OR THE OTHER. CHOOSE OR GET OUT.

THIS IS FASCISM GONE REALLY, REALLY FASCIST!!!*









*I choose Indy.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
No, that is in fact impossible. It's either one or the other.

ONE OR THE OTHER. CHOOSE OR GET OUT.

edit: Am I the only one who think's it's strange that Sean Patrick Flanery got to see a pre-release screening of the film? Seems weird, is all. I wonder how many other Indy alumni got an advance look at KotCS.

Well, IIRC, Kevin Smith got to attend a prerelease screening of Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and he's never been involved with a Star Wars production at all, or even any Lucasfilm ones; he just makes movies of his own with people who talk about Star Wars (and Indiana Jones). If George or the other High Gods of Lucasfilm deemed him worthy of an advance viewing of the movie for that, it certainly doesn't seem out of line for actual Indy alumni to get to see the new Indy even if they weren't personally involved.

(One presumes Kate Capshaw, who isn't in this as far as we non-spoiler types know, nevertheless got to see it in advance as well, but then I think she may have a special "in" with someone on the production...)
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
It's really about the media trying to find an angle, so they try and build up an "Y versus X" mentality.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
James
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
This constant comparison with The Dark Knight is so self-defeatist. Maybe - just maybe - we can enjoy both, no?

Agree completely.

But if they really want us to choose, then I say this as a huge and longtime Batman fan with an unblemished record of complete devotion:

**** Batman.

Last edited by James : 05-05-2008 at 04:31 PM.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
scifiwolf
IndyFan
 
scifiwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 236
Kind of an amateurish article, but some good stuff in there. It's interesting to hear that George wanted something really "wacky" for the movie. I'm going to be ever-grateful that Indy fans have Harrison and Steven to curb George's more stupid ideas.

In response to the whole Dark Knight vs Indy 4 stuff, I say "who gives a rat's f***?" Go enjoy both movies.
scifiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
Am I the only one who think's it's strange that Sean Patrick Flanery got to see a pre-release screening of the film? Seems weird, is all. I wonder how many other Indy alumni got an advance look at KotCS.


It's a sympathy screening that his career post-YIJ has relegated in the refuse of direct-to-video trash. They didn't want SPF to feel left out without getting some publicity.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
DocWhiskey
IndyFan
 
DocWhiskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,386
OT: Wasn't there a fan film where Indiana Jones and Batman teamed up? Like it was called "Indiana Jones and the Relic of Gotham" or something.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Vendetta08
IndyFan
 
Vendetta08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Nile
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Well, IIRC, Kevin Smith got to attend a prerelease screening of Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and he's never been involved with a Star Wars production at all, or even any Lucasfilm ones; he just makes movies of his own with people who talk about Star Wars (and Indiana Jones). If George or the other High Gods of Lucasfilm deemed him worthy of an advance viewing of the movie for that, it certainly doesn't seem out of line for actual Indy alumni to get to see the new Indy even if they weren't personally involved.

(One presumes Kate Capshaw, who isn't in this as far as we non-spoiler types know, nevertheless got to see it in advance as well, but then I think she may have a special "in" with someone on the production...)

Isn't her cousin's friend a PA on Indy 4 or something?
Vendetta08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
Avilos
IndyFan
 
Avilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 604
While Lucas and Flannery have not worked together in awhile they appear to still be on good terms. Actually with few exceptions, like David Prowse, George Lucas seems to have good relationships with all the actors he has worked with. Even those who don't think he is the greatest director!

I bet all Sean had to do was call George Lucas or Rick McCallum up and ask to see the film.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos
While Lucas and Flannery have not worked together in awhile they appear to still be on good terms. Actually with few exceptions, like David Prowse, George Lucas seems to have good relationships with all the actors he has worked with. Even those who don't think he is the greatest director!

I bet all Sean had to do was call George Lucas or Rick McCallum up and ask to see the film.

I hope George makes a new Indy tv-movie with Sean, set around say 1923 or 1926.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos
I bet all Sean had to do was call George Lucas or Rick McCallum up and ask to see the film.

In the last several interviews he's done (including some from just a week ago), each interviewer has asked him about KOTCS, and SPF would always say stuff like "They've got my 12 bucks!". So I assume he saw a screening within the last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I hope George makes a new Indy tv-movie with Sean, set around say 1923 or 1926.

That would be incredibly awesome, but SPF is 42 now, so unfortunately he's too old to play someone in their 20s.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
Indeed, it's been pointed out Sean Patrick Flanery is actually older now than Harrison Ford was when he first played Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark, as hard as that is to believe.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Indeed, it's been pointed out Sean Patrick Flanery is actually older now than Harrison Ford was when he first played Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark, as hard as that is to believe.

He doesn't look 42 though. He could still pass for 27. I mean, Ford was playing a 39 year old Indy when he was 47.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...d=1#post310695

a recent picture of SPF
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
He doesn't look 42 though. He could still pass for 27. I mean, Ford was playing a 39 year old Indy when he was 47.


Dude, have you SEEN SPF lately? He looks like he's about 50. Too much partying has really aged him.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
You're kidding, right? There's no way he looks 50.

Avilos just posted about audio programs over in the Literature forum, and noted SPF could still voice young Indy for an audio drama, if anyone ever decided to do one (for that matter, so could Harrison! - though I don't know that he'd be interested in a radio show, but you never know...). That'd be a really cool project, I think...
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Trust me, in real life he looks worse for wear. He was in my friend's movie. Sean parties hard and it has definitely shown on his face. He don't look like a kid anymore.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
MarxBrosFan
IndyFan
 
MarxBrosFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 92
CNN quoting IMDB? That has to be some of the worst reporting I have ever seen.
MarxBrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #21
Avilos
IndyFan
 
Avilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
Trust me, in real life he looks worse for wear. He was in my friend's movie. Sean parties hard and it has definitely shown on his face. He don't look like a kid anymore.

Please... There is this thing called makeup... You clearly have some strange grudge against Flannery.

Not that I think he will play Indy in a movie or a Tv series again.

Thanks for mentioning my idea Crack that whip!
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #22
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Don't believe me, check out Flannery's latest string of direct-to-video films. Not even makeup can cover up those aging wrinkles. The camera don't lie.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #23
Avilos
IndyFan
 
Avilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 604
My point is he looks normal for a person his age.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #24
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos
My point is he looks normal for a person his age.

He was in his 30's when he was playing 17 year-old Indy. Times sure have changed.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #25
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
He was in his 30's when he was playing 17 year-old Indy.

If by "30's" you mean "mid- to late 20s," then yes.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.