Best medium for Indy stories besides film

Snakes

What medium is best suited for Indiana Jones besides film? Comics, novels, animation, video games...?

Discuss...

Crack that whip

"Animation" can certainly be "film," of course. ;)

If by "film" you mean theatrical movies, as distinct from similar media such as television, then my answer to your question would be television - there's a whole slew of excellent Indy tales that originated in that medium; indeed, for my money most of the best Indy adventures ever have been the ones in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. But there have been really fun Indy escapades in other mediums, as well - novels, comics, games (video and otherwise), even theme park attractions - and I think what's "best" is largely a matter of taste...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^ Not only that, but each medium offers a different kind of experience.

With theme park rides and video games, you are Indy or you're with Indy physically and you discover and find things out as you go. Non-video games, such as the board game of Raiders, I have, are just fun extensions, I wouldn't call it an experience or re-experiencing a particular moment and often those games are nothing like the storyline.

Books, you're kind of seeing it all ominously, like when you watch a film or the tv series, except you're needing to imagine it all, however I kind of like it that way.

Comics, again similar to the books, however, just like a storyboard, it gives us a better sense of the visuals and pacing particularly, which is sometimes lost in books depending on the author.

The TV series, is like watching the films for me, however it's different in terms of it's content being more historical and even arguably, more European in it's flavour (because of WW1 being it's main event).

Lao_Che

TV.

Traditional 2D action adventure cartoon serial. The Indy equivalent of what The Clone Wars is to Flash Gordon etc.

So this animated.

And if that clip of Schoenmaker's "Evil Dead Animated" was working, that's just as good an example. ;)

Last edited: