Will it be a sad day for movies if KOTCS isn't a huge success.

MolaRam2

Assuming that KOTCS will be the great old fashioned adventure we are all hoping for, what will you think if it isn't a tremendous success? It will definately come in around the 250-300 million range, but I am hoping for the 400 million plus range. 250-300 million is pretty common for a major summer blockbuster, so Indy 4 wouldn't be a tremendous success IMO if it only got those numbers domestically.

Even though I am only 22, I am pretty fed up with modern movie making. Sure, there is the occasional movie I love like Ratatouille and Sweeney Todd, but as a whole I am not happy with Hollywood's output. It will be a major victory if a truly great film like what we hope KOTCS will be, would greatly outgross moronic and lame crap like Spider-man 3 and Transformers, which the viewing public sadly loves.

As far as I'm concerned, it has been 24 years since Temple of Doom, and there hasn't been a single blockbuster since than with the excitement and pure cinematic magic of Raiders and Temple.

MolaRam2 said:
Assuming that KOTCS will be the great old fashioned adventure we are all hoping for, what will you think if it isn't a tremendous success? It will definately come in around the 250-300 million range, but I am hoping for the 400 million plus range. 250-300 million is pretty common for a major summer blockbuster, so Indy 4 wouldn't be a tremendous success IMO if it only got those numbers domestically.

Even though I am only 22, I am pretty fed up with modern movie making. Sure, there is the occasional movie I love like Ratatouille and Sweeney Todd, but as a whole I am not happy with Hollywood's output. It will be a major victory if a truly great film like what we hope KOTCS will be, would greatly outgross moronic and lame crap like Spider-man 3 and Transformers, which the viewing public sadly loves.

As far as I'm concerned, it has been 24 years since Temple of Doom, and there hasn't been a single blockbuster since than with the excitement and pure cinematic magic of Raiders and Temple.

Nice Last Crusade evasion.

Nurhachi1991

MolaRam2 said:

Your questioning KOTCS but you love Ratatouille................ What is wrong with that picture?

Michael24

KOTCS will be a success.

I've had plenty of fun and excitement at the movies outside of the Indiana Jones adventures.

MolaRam2

Nurhachi1991 said:
Your questioning KOTCS but you love Ratatouille................ What is wrong with that picture?

Well Ratatouille was the best reviewed wide release of 2007, I'm not the only one who loves it.

Shortie

I'm betting #1 movie of the year & a 2-week #1 BO spot. I doubt people will choose Sex & the City over Indy.

I think IM, Indy & maybe TDK will be the only summer hits with a 2-week streak. (y)

jazzycmk

Don't be absolutely shocked if "Sex & the City" grabs #1 the week after Indy.

All the girlfriends / wives that agreed to go see Indy will get payback by dragging their boyfriends / husbands to go see "Sex" (shudder). And people talk about Harrison getting a little long in the tooth. That's nothing compared to a group of 40-something women trying to act like they're still in their 20s.

I'm going to the midnight showing with my brother-in-law and some buddies to avoid that kind of exchange.

Shortie

Kids & teens go to the movies alot in the summer.

Movie about some ugly old sl*** or cool action movie?

I don't know anyone who likes that crappy show.

MolaRam2

jazzycmk said:
Don't be absolutely shocked if "Sex & the City" grabs #1 the week after Indy.

All the girlfriends / wives that agreed to go see Indy will get payback by dragging their boyfriends / husbands to go see "Sex" (shudder). And people talk about Harrison getting a little long in the tooth. That's nothing compared to a group of 40-something women trying to act like they're still in their 20s.

I'm going to the midnight showing with my brother-in-law and some buddies to avoid that kind of exchange.

If Sex and the City comes in number 1 during Indy's second week, I will lose all hope for humanity. Also, alot of people will take their kids (you know, kids above random crying age) to Indy, whereas they hopefully won't take their kids to SATC, unless they are really irresponsible. I really have a hard time imagining SATC to have that big of a fanbase anyway.

No Ticket

I don't think it could do too bad with the enormous amount of marketing surrounding it. It's bound to do some good numbers. I mean, besides the fact it's INDIANA JONES starring HARRISON FORD for the first time in TWENTY YEARS!!

But if by some astrological alignment it does not do well. It'll be a much sadder day for Indy fans then the movie industry.

Shortie

#1 of the year for sure, no matter what those BM fanboys say.

1. Indy
2. Iron Man/ TDK
3. Iron Man/TDK
4. Harry Potter
5. Narnia
6. Wall*E
7. Bond
8. Incredible Hulk (If it's good, if it's sucks I see FF numbers)
9. Mummy 3
10. Madagascar 2

Last edited:

Lao Che Pun

MolaRam2 said:
Even though I am only 22, I am pretty fed up with modern movie making.

You seem quite pessimistic for your young age.

Don't worry, probability dictates that Hollywood will let you down many more times from here on out.

Not sure what you're looking for, but the money spent on Hollywood productions in the past ten years should unequivocally make it uncomparable to films 30 years ago.

Listen, I'll be the first person to stand up and say how awesome Raiders is and was, but compared to the kid who is 10 years old....he/she can find just as much satisfactory entertainment out of Superman Returns, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Shrek films.

Unless your argument is against the quality of the Academy-Award nominees, I'm not sure what you have against modern day summer blockbusters. They're made with the same ol' recipes that have proven successful, except they have the benefit of better technology and a script-writing labor pool large enough to swallow a small nation. Lucas chose similar classic recipes when he conjured up the Indy and Star Wars series both.

Will it be a sad day if Indy 4 doesn't do well? No. I think many people expect this already.
(I honestly think Ironman will outdo our favorite swashbuckler.)

Adamwankenobi

Lao Che Pun said:
Unless your argument is against the quality of the Academy-Award nominees, I'm not sure what you have against modern day summer blockbusters. They're made with the same ol' recipes that have proven successful, except they have the benefit of better technology and a script-writing labor pool large enough to swallow a small nation. Lucas chose similar classic recipes when he conjured up the Indy and Star Wars series both.

There's one big problem with a lot of modern day blockbusters, compared to Raiders: they suck.

OhioJones

Shortie said:
#1 of the year for sure, no matter what those BM fanboys say.

1. Indy
2. Iron Man/ TDK
3. Iron Man/TDK
4. Harry Potter
5. Narnia
6. Wall*E
7. Bond
8. Incredible Hulk (If it's good, if it's sucks I see FF numbers)
9. Mummy 3
10. Madagascar 2

Can't believe you have Bond so low. Unless your not talking world wide. Even still its low domestically

sandiegojones

It's almost guaranteed to do $250 million. People hated Episode 1 and it did $450 million, and Episode 3 did close to $400 even after 6 years of fanboy complaining about Lucas. If Ratatouille and Sweeny Todd are the best you can come up with then you need to get Netflix! I can think of a bunch of great movies the past 10 years, they just didn't set records.

Besides, money is not what makes a movie great. Plus there's a lot more competition this year. Iron Man, Batman, Incredible Hulk, The Mummy 3, Wall-E, Narnia, The Happening, Hancock, X-Files. There's too many summer movies now so you can't expect it to be the biggest ever.

Plus, I liked Transformers a lot and Spielberg produced it. :gun:

MolaRam2

Lao Che Pun said:
You seem quite pessimistic for your young age.

Don't worry, probability dictates that Hollywood will let you down many more times from here on out.

Not sure what you're looking for, but the money spent on Hollywood productions in the past ten years should unequivocally make it uncomparable to films 30 years ago.

Listen, I'll be the first person to stand up and say how awesome Raiders is and was, but compared to the kid who is 10 years old....he/she can find just as much satisfactory entertainment out of Superman Returns, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Shrek films.

Will it be a sad day if Indy 4 doesn't do well? No. I think many people expect this already.
(I honestly think Ironman will outdo our favorite swashbuckler.)

The original Star Wars and Indy trilogies have magic and heart that is severly lacking from most modern summer blockbusters. Movie magic cannot be created with only recipes and money. I really like Superman Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean, but they can't compare to Raiders.

Dust McAlan

Indiana Jones is guaranteed to make some heavy cash. Someone mentioned the Star Wars prequels; they came out and made bank. Indy is going to kill at the box office, simply kill, but my concern isn't revenue, it's quality. Besides, how much money this actually makes won't matter too much---it's not like they're counting on it to make another Indy movie.

eroc

Dust McAlan said:
...Besides, how much money this actually makes won't matter too much---it's not like they're counting on it to make another Indy movie.

hmmmm, are you sure about that?

Lao Che Pun

MolaRam2 said:
The original Star Wars and Indy trilogies have magic and heart that is severly lacking from most modern summer blockbusters. Movie magic cannot be created with only recipes and money. I really like Superman Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean, but they can't compare to Raiders.

My point is that we, the Raiders officiandos, will always say that. That is the mark of our generation (which I'm not sure at age 22 you're entirely part of)....but regardless...

See, my father in 1981 said (at least something similar to this) "I really like Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it will never compare to the Errol Flynn movies of the 1930's. Hollywood just doesn't make 'em like they used to."

My point? It's a fact that every generation feels entitled to tout their own generation's values, ideals, and art while perpetually denouncing the current generation.

You're right, I don't like Pirates of the Carribbean. In fact, I want to gouge my eyeballs out when some tells me they like it. And I love Raiders to no end.

But neither of these two facts will stop some 22 yr old kid in the year 2032 from saying "Even though I am only 22, I am pretty fed up with modern movie making. I hate these new movies...where are the classics like Pirates in the Carribbean Part 3?"

It's just the role of humanity in history.