Who Should Get the License?

Shortie

Who do you want to get the license? Hasbro was asked a question on one of their SW Q&As about the Indy license & they commented:

OK, it's not Star Wars, but we have to ask - do you have the toy license for Indiana Jones IV? If so, can we expect to see the 3.75" scale Indy figures we all want in 2008? (JD, 3/02/07)

We cannot comment on the Indiana Jones franchise and whether Hasbro or another company will be executing the license.

So it looks like we will be getting new figures. I hope Hasbro done because they can make the Indy figures accurate to scale with my SW figures. They can also make a Vintage Kenner style card Raiders colelction, like they're doing with SW & (I think) G.I. Joe.:D

Silent_Rob

Action Figure License

I agree, Hasbro should get the rights. The Star Wars line is crazy, and the likenesses have become eerie. Plus they make every figure known to man for Star Wars. The Indiana Jones line would be a welcome addition!

Shortie

Sideshow should get the license for statues & 12" figures. While Hasbro gets the license fore everything else. (Regular Figures, Unleashed Figures,Etc...)

Silent_Rob

And Vehicles...The Raiders Truck, The Flying Wing, Jock's Plane, Last Crusade Tank, Motorcycle w/sidecar....the list goes on, the possibilities are staggering....

I'm a little confused. The quote from Hasbro says they can't comment and suddenly everyone is talking action figures? I'm the first to say I'd love a full line of toys and playsets but we have no evidence that anything is in the works. The only (authorized) license I'm aware of is the 24" cinemaquette. And whatever items Disney is creating for their theme parks.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that announcements will be forthcoming soon.

Shortie

If there was no new line Hasbro would of said LFL has no plans for new Indiana Jones figures. But they didn't so someone must have the license.(y)

JimmyPSHayes

I would love for Hasbro to do it. Sideshow would be a nice choice for 12inch and statues. In a dream world, Bowen would do a statue or bust. I'd really like a super-articulated Indy. Something like a Marvel Legends style. And Gentle Giant would make AWESOME Indy maquettes similar to the one that they are doing for the Star Wars cartoon.

They said they couldn't comment - which means neither to confirm or deny. No comment means just that - no comment. My sources tell me that as of last week the only signed (new) license is for the cinemaquette. It's obvious more will be coming as we get closer to the film release but so far no one else has snagged the rights.

I vote for Gentle Giant, Sideshow and Master Replicas. Let those 3 loose and who needs 4 inch action figures!

mfisher

I haven't even thought about the idea of Gentle Giant doing Busts of Indy characters... man what a thought... I'd love to see that happen... Toht would be a really cool villain to start with on that line :) Sideshow remains my number one draft choice for possibilities... another cool one would be for McFarlane to do some of their statues..... regardless... I just hope somebody good steps in...

deckard24

What about NECA, they have been beating out Mcfarlane for years! Their attention to detail and likeness imo has surpassed Mcfarlane. Just look at the 18'' Lord of the Rings figures, their likenesses are better than Sideshow's which I love. I'd love to see an 18'' Indy by NECA with all the bells and whistles. Plus they have been covering all mannner of movie licenses like POTC, Harry Potter, Cult Classics(pretty much their version of movie maniacs), Kill Bill, The Highlander, etc...

I vote let all the major companies get a shot, but I'm the most excited about the prospect of an 18'' NECA Indy or a 12" Sideshow Deluxe Indy.

Katarn07

I've drooled over their Pirates figures and am still debating whether or not I wanna order their David Bowie as the Goblin King. They are quite pricey and other than those things, nothing really interests me. But if it were Indy, I'd be all over them. Much better quality than Hasbro, who ever since the end of the Episode I line has annoyed me to no end with what they make and how they distribute it.

deckard24

They are really the the same or less than Sideshow in price. In fact all the smaller Pirates figures are around $12.95 at Spencer Gifts and the 18'' are about $29.95-39.95 compared to Sideshow's $50-up. I have the 18" Gandalf, Aragorn, and Legolas and they were really worth the money. I had some of the Sin City, Kill Bill, and Cult Classics but I sold a lot of stuff a year ago. I still have a few Mcfarlane pieces like the JAWS set in it's box and the NECA HAlloween Michael Myers/DR. Loomis diorama.
Check out toywiz.com, they sometimes sell NECA figs for less, as well as other lines. I agree Hasbro is obnoxious with their repackaging of the same damn figure ten times over in diff. boxes, but hey they are making crazy amounts of money so it won't be stopping anytime soon. Especially with the Star Wars tv show and cgi movie in the near future. The Star Wars merchandise cash cow is far from over! I'm all for a vintage Indy line like they did with Star Wars, that would be cool. But, the NECA/Sideshow prospect is far more intriguing.

Lon

Remember, The Last Crusade didn't have an action figure line so it's very possible Indy IV won't. Granted things have changed in terms of marketing and merchandising since 1989 and there's a high possibility of there being an action figure line but I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

I think one of the key things marketing departments at Lucas Licensing and whatever company obtains the figure license would have to take into consideration is, can an action figure line with a 65-year-old man at the center have mass appeal?

Indy isn't Star Wars and has to be treated differently.

Katarn07

That's why Sideshow or NECA would be better choices than Hasbro. But for all we know, Indy may become the new Pirates and some nobody company (like Zizzle) will get the line and butcher the likenesses of everyone and add all sorts of dumb variants of the main characters and make it impossible to find minor characters..... oh wait, that sounds just like Hasbro to me :eek:

Since Ford's so old, I'm hoping teenage girls won't go nuts for it like they have with Pirates. That cast was aimed at them with two hot guys and an anorexic, no-talent actress. This will be appreciated by older audiences such as ourselves and hopefully guys of any age. Therefore, Sideshow or NECA would seem like more realistic companies to produce these things in fewer quantities but pricier price tags.