Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders90

AndyLGR said:
Possibly one of the most distasteful posts I've ever read on here. Btw it's millstone not milestone.

Distateful? Yes. Honest also.
I saw this year many of my heroes die, at ages younger than Ford. I saw my country vote in an orange buffoon. I saw series I love get utterly wrecked in the hands of people that didn't understand them, and have no hope of ever being salvaged. I watched a girl I love walk away. I have no hopes, or expectations in the positive right about now, and given the course of this year, only expect the worst both of people, and from the next few years. It may be harsh to say. But do you really think Disney wants to deal with a 76 year old star?

Udvarnoky

Raiders112390 said:
Let's be real here:
Disney pushed the date so far away in the hope Ford will die in the interim and they won't have to deal with him.

That way, they win either way. They announced it while he was still alive, so it doesn't look like they're disrespecting the dead by reaping in the cash cow without him; and then they can "dedicate it to his memory."

I get the feeling that the people at Disney probably really don't like Ford and view him as a milestone to their plans with Indy, and so are hoping 2018 is far enough away that they won't have to deal with a living Ford.

Your paranoid delusions are getting to be a drag. Can you ease off on them a bit going forward?

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
Your paranoid delusions are getting to be a drag. Can you ease off on them a bit going forward?
+ 1000

Those preposterous speculations border on trolling and are plain offensive.

Last edited:

Drones33

Raiders112390 said:
Let's be real here:
Disney pushed the date so far away in the hope Ford will die in the interim and they won't have to deal with him.

That way, they win either way. They announced it while he was still alive, so it doesn't look like they're disrespecting the dead by reaping in the cash cow without him; and then they can "dedicate it to his memory."

I get the feeling that the people at Disney probably really don't like Ford and view him as a milestone to their plans with Indy, and so are hoping 2018 is far enough away that they won't have to deal with a living Ford.

That is without doubt the most offensive thing Ive read on here, and about the most contrived bit of cynical nonsense you've ever posted... And looking back at some of your previous posts that's up against some pretty stiff competition. I firmly believe you do it just to get attention, but this is a new low.
I sincerely hope you are proved wrong pal.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
+ 1000

It's not exactly like we're dealing with a young man. We're dealing with a guy who will be 76 when they begin filming, and who already got badly injured in the last film they worked with him on (his leg injury during TFA's filming). Perhaps it's just me, but if I really wanted an Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford, and I was a Disney Exec, I'd log it on the calendar a lot sooner - not three years down the pike.

Harrison has no film plans that I'm aware of past the Blade Runner film, so his schedule's clear. Steven loves Indy and I'm sure would prefer to do that first - especially considering Harrison's age - before whatever else he has going on. We have to be realistic here. He is not a young man, and time is not on our side. My idol, David Bowie, died earlier this year at 69. Alan Rickman - another hero - the same age. I'm sorry to be a bummer, but I think announcing a film three years away, when you have an older actor in the lead, isn't the brightest idea.

KOTCS wasn't officially announced just before until it entered production, for comparison.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
It's not exactly like we're dealing with a young man.
We are all painfully aware of that.
I for one would have preferred Ford to have no more than a cameo or bookend role in Indy 5.

But your suggestion that Disney are hoping for his demise before shooting begins is simply laughable.

It's been abundantly clear you have personal issues, even before you felt compelled to list them on these boards.
I offer my sympathy, for what it's worth, but frankly I'd recommend dealing with your problems in a more adult like and constructive manner.

Lambonius

Z dweller said:
I for one would have preferred Ford to have no more than a cameo or bookend role in Indy 5.
Until we have any story details at all, I'd say it's too early to definitively state that that's not what they're planning. Statements from Frank Marshall have no weight at this point because he has literally nothing to do with the plot and doesn't know anything about it.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
We are all painfully aware of that.

But your suggestion that Disney are hoping for his demise before shooting begins is simply laughable.

It's been abundantly clear you have personal issues, even before you felt compelled to list them on these boards.
I offer my sympathy, for what it's worth, but frankly I'd recommend dealing with your problems in a more adult like and constructive manner.

Actively praying for it? No. But I don't think they'd be sad if he kicked it quite frankly. Disney's agenda over the past few years has shown to be quite anti-white male, anyway, so I doubt he's exactly popular with their producers and executives. Disney died when Eisner left for me.

We all have personal issues. I suggest you look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Sure, but we don't feel compelled to list them here and use them to explain paranoid delusions.

It is interesting the way you try to shut down an opinion you don't like as a "paranoid delusion." Also, very good use of othering language such as "we"; this implies I am not part of "we" - the tribe of humanity; a non-person; perhaps even a non-Indy fan - I am "the Other", which should be driven out in your eyes; I am "they." It's interesting the kind of disdain and ugliness that a differing opinion over a movie series can create in you. Again, I would look in the mirror before attempting to dehumanize and/or belittle others.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
+ 1000

Trolling?
I've been an Indiana Jones fan since 1998, and been here since 2007. I have better things to do with my time than troll a forum of a series I happen to enjoy greatly for coming on a decade now, so no, not trolling. I am sorry my differing opinion and dislike for the House of Mouse has so triggered you. You have a very authoritarian personality, it seems, and would like to rid those you disagree with from a discussion board and have the board be an echo chamber of your views.

IAdventurer01

Uh oh, guess it's time to try to pull this back on track.

Indyfan82 said:
It might also fit into an espionage theme, which I think would be fitting, since Indy was a spy in World War I- and spy films and TV shows were definitely a trending thing in the '60s.

At first I wasn't crazy about this idea, but I think it would be fun to work in as a small part. I do imagine it would be fun to have at least some part of the adventure involving the prestigious Dr. Jones use his venerable credentials and schmooze his way into a situation that he'll inevitably need to punch his way out of. Not to repeat too much of the style of previous films, but in terms of tone it wouldn't be unreasonable to evoke a little of Temple of Doom for this. It's a side of Indy we really haven't seen too much of, really.

Raiders90

IAdventurer01 said:
Uh oh, guess it's time to try to pull this back on track.

At first I wasn't crazy about this idea, but I think it would be fun to work in as a small part. I do imagine it would be fun to have at least some part of the adventure involving the prestigious Dr. Jones use his venerable credentials and schmooze his way into a situation that he'll inevitably need to punch his way out of. Not to repeat too much of the style of previous films, but in terms of tone it wouldn't be unreasonable to evoke a little of Temple of Doom for this. It's a side of Indy we really haven't seen too much of, really.

We get a hint of it in LC when he badly impersonates a Scottish Lord :D

And remember we're told in KOTCS he was a spy during WWII as well for the OSS. Which is awesome, and true to life as a lot of academics were OSS members during the War.

Udvarnoky

Good points here - there's one disguise that Indy wears with utter competence, because it's not really a disguise at all. It's when he goes into "professor mode", a la the banquet scene in Temple of Doom. I could imagine a scene where he goes into that persona to distract some high society folk so the sidekick can sneak past or steal something. Obviously you don't want to take that sort of thing too far, lest the sidekick be doing all the proactive work, but the idea of Indy going into Clark Kent mode in front of certain people could be fun in small doses and would be a sensible, non-annoying way of utilizing the age of the character.

Indiana Jones had a reputation that preceded in him the previous movies. Even Chattar Lal recognized the name. He's probably even more globally recognized at the age he'd be in Indy 5. Koepp could exploit that in a number of ways, and it's the one useful way I could see the events of Indy 4 playing into Indy 5. It would be nice if the last film had been less ambiguous about how Indy got to be reinstated at the end - did he become famous for discovering Akator, or did that never become public (the city was washed away after all) and it's just that the Red Scare blew over? The difference between those two scenarios is not trivial in terms of where Indy's reputation stands.

Z dweller

Lambonius said:
Until we have any story details at all, I'd say it's too early to definitively state that that's not what they're planning.
You are right, but I am not too optimistic about it.

I think it would be a real shame if they didn't take the opportunity to introduce a new actor in flashback scenes in what is surely the last "canon" movie with Spielberg/Ford/Williams - but until they start casting, there is no knowing.

Even if they choose that option, I suspect g̶e̶r̶i̶a̶t̶r̶i̶c̶ old Indy will get most of the screen time.

Udvarnoky

I've kind of come around to thinking that introducing the new actor in Indy 5 isn't such a hot idea after all. Give all the screentime to Ford and design the reboot (casting included) when it's actually time to.

Face_Melt

Udvarnoky said:
I've kind of come around to thinking that introducing the new actor in Indy 5 isn't such a hot idea after all. Give all the screentime to Ford and design the reboot (casting included) when it's actually time to.

A reboot does not always mean a continuity reboot. They can reboot the series with a new actor and keep the continuity in tact. The Force Awakens was a reboot for example. Reboots can be sequels. The term reboot often means resurrecting a dormant franchise.

Walecs

Face_Palm said:
A reboot does not always mean a continuity reboot. They can reboot the series with a new actor and keep the continuity in tact. The Force Awakens was a reboot for example. Reboots can be sequels. The term reboot often means resurrecting a dormant franchise.

Technically, yes it does.

In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning

TFA was a sequel, not a reboot.

I'm still convinced Indy 5 should feature Ford as the only Indy actor and keep the expanded universe intact. After that, may Disney do whatever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.