What is an acceptable timetable to complain about a film

Henry W Jones

I see people at the Raven who go to the 'Hate threads' here and complain about movies that are between 4-30 years old constantly. And it is MASSIVE arguments over how it could have been better or why this movie or that one sucked so bad. I as an Indiana Jones fan like all the movies just not everything about them. I find it interesting that the arguments are so heated and they are about movies you find so terrible but can't stop talking about them. So should we still complain about TOD, a movie almost thirty years old, or KOTCS that is only almost four years old? It's the same with the Star Wars Prequels. They are what they good or bad and unless they add stuff to them like Star Wars there is not much to complain about that hasn't been said a billion times just re-worded differently. I find the bickering amusing so whatever but...... How long is too long?

The Drifter

As long as there is a human-being out there with an opinion on something; it's never too long.
I bet a century from now people will still be complaining about KotCS.

Mickiana

I can't imagine a world without ongoing criticism. I think it's an intellectual necessity. In universities, much older sources are critiqued as a matter of course. The practice of criticism is natural to our brains. If someone is pondering for the first time some material, it doesn't matter to that person how old the material is. What matters is that they are thinking about it critically. Application of our mental abilities to understanding things is the greatest gift of evolution. It has gone hand in hand with our evolution. Now, that was heavy, wasn't it?!

ps When I say criticism, I don't mean mindless denigration and insults. I refer to the appraisal on par with higher study.

HJTHX1138

The Drifter said:
As long as there is a human-being out there with an opinion on something; it's never too long.

Umm . . .

I have to agree to this.

People are always going to be subject to their opinions.

The only time "age" should be considered when forming an opinion is obviously when there's some sort of historical context that people aren't getting, like when people say "Song of The South" is inherently bad due to racist whatevers or complaints about special effects.

Henry W Jones

The Drifter said:

Unless it is taught to our "Raven Dwellers" children like racism, I don't think a century from now KOTCS will be on anyone's mind. That is unless we find "The Grail" and all take turns drinking from it, and then we can all continue to go on about it for 104 years. :hat: I don't think KOTCS has the lasting power of a century worth of interest.

Mickiana

KotCS will only be critiqued in 100 years in subjects such as Cultural Significance of Movie Sequels 101, in a footnote at best. Or on the Raven by our inheritors.

N.B. Critiquing has to transcend opining. Opinion is not proper criticism.

Henry W Jones

Critiquing and opinion are a fine line. Yours or anyone else critiquing is all about one's opinion. What you might critique might be something I feel needs no criticism. So it really is about opinion with art when it comes to criticism. :hat: Man that was a lot of ways to say criticize. :D

Mickiana

I liked that Finn. How will you achieve this? With your winters up there maybe you could periodically freeze yourself down to attain a state of :sleep: suspended animation. Have you got someone you can trust to thaw you out in time for The Raven's Centenary? :p

re HWJ There is no fine line between critiquing and opinion. They are distinct.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
...and me.

You gotta give up bathing in the blood of virgins. The peasants are starting to get suspicious.

Mickiana said:
KotCS will only be critiqued in 100 years in subjects such as Cultural Significance of Movie Sequels 101, in a footnote at best. Or on the Raven by our inheritors.

Yes, it'll only be in places where obsessives congregate. For everyone else, KOTCS will be regarded as 'that other daft Indiana Jones flick they made'.

Mickiana

If something is really good it can be talked about forever as there will always be someone discovering it.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
If something is really good it can be talked about forever as there will always be someone discovering it.

And the same goes for something that's really bad. A hundred years from now people will be discovering KOTCS and will want to share their disbelief that such a thing ever existed.

Mickiana

Yes, I thought of mentioning that in my last post, but I knew someone would pick up the mantle. It does happen that someone can be remembered better for a stuff up than for something good they did.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
You gotta give up bathing in the blood of virgins. The peasants are starting to get suspicious.
For that spell to work, they'll have to be at least 15-year-olds.

Which practically means good luck trying that at this time and age.

Of course, Elemental Forces of Nature such as yours truly never had to worry about such things in the first place...

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
And the same goes for something that's really bad. A hundred years from now people will be discovering KOTCS and will want to share their disbelief that such a thing ever existed.

Actually. No one will probably care. You make it sound like out of all the films ever made that KOTCS will be talked about as the worst film ever. There are so many bad movies and sequels to choose from and that will be made, I think KOTCS will for the most part disappear as a conversation except in forums like this. I think you want to believe it will be relevant in 100 years to justify you are talking about it 4 years later to such an extent. Can you have these in-depth KOTCS conversations outside of this forum without people thinking "Get over it!!!! That sh@t is old news. This guy needs to get a life"? I know most people got sick of my Indy/SW complaints and general conversations within months of each movies release.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Actually. No one will probably care. You make it sound like out of all the films ever made that KOTCS will be talked about as the worst film ever. There are so many bad movies and sequels to choose from and that will be made, I think KOTCS will for the most part disappear as a conversation except in forums like this. I think you want to believe it will be relevant in 100 years to justify you are talking about it 4 years later to such an extent. Can you have these in-depth KOTCS conversations outside of this forum without people thinking "Get over it!!!! That sh@t is old news. This guy needs to get a life"? I know most people got sick of my Indy/SW complaints and general conversations within months of each movies release.

Like I said:

Yes, it'll only be in places where obsessives congregate. For everyone else, KOTCS will be regarded as 'that other daft Indiana Jones flick they made'.

It's not the worst film ever made by a long shot, but its connection to the legendary ROTLA will mean that it will still be discussed. People will want to talk about it to confirm that they saw what they saw, and didn't just hallucinate it.