"1138" in KotCS?

commontone

First the obligatory apology if this has been covered, I couldn't find it.

Did this number make a cameo anywhere in Indy 4, a la George Lucas' tradition?

sandiegojones

I believe Lucas only does it in "his" films (which he directs). I've never seen it in Indy (though I could be wrong). I know R2 and C-3PO are in Raiders and there's Club Obi-Wan but I don't know about 1138.

eroc

No. Has it made an appearance in any other Indy film? The joke is old and belongs in Star Wars lore.

"TK 1-1-3-8, why aren't you at your post?"

Ummm, slight weapons malfunction here..."

James

I read somewhere that one of the house numbers in Doom Town was "138", but I'm not sure if that's true.

Michael24

I just looked up "1138" at Wikipedia and found Indy references:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - The number is heard spoken through an intercom in German, "Eins-eins-drei-acht." Also, in the scene where Indy is fighting the bald German officer (the German Mechanic, it would seem), while the plane is spinning around, if you look at the wing number of the plane, you will see that the serial number is THX-1138.

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - 1138 is in roman numerals MCXXXVII in Dr. Jones' Notebook in the library scene.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - The street address on the side of the house at the nuclear test site where Indy finds the lead lined refrigerator is 138.

eroc said:
No. Has it made an appearance in any other Indy film? The joke is old and belongs in Star Wars lore.

Actually, in Star Wars it's used in Luke's line "Prisoner transfer, from cell block 1138." (Though in an early draft, TK-421 was TK-1138. This appears in the novelization as well.)

The reference in The Empire Strikes Back is a bit more of a stretch: "Send Rogues 10 and 11 to station 38."

I wasn't sure where it was in Return of the Jedi, but according to the Wiki article, it's marked on the side of Leia/Boussh's helmet.

Last edited:

spiralout

eroc said:

It was TK 421.

Stoo

Michael24 (via Wikipedia) said:
Also, in the scene where Indy is fighting the bald German officer (the German Mechanic, it would seem), while the plane is spinning around, if you look at the wing number of the plane, you will see that the serial number is THX-1138.

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - 1138 is in roman numerals MCXXXVII in Dr. Jones' Notebook in the library scene.
I've never seen either of these and can't recall ever seeing a number anywhere on the Flying Wing. Anyone?

Stoo said:
I've never seen either of these and can't recall ever seeing a number anywhere on the Flying Wing. Anyone?
No for these...

James said:
I read somewhere that one of the house numbers in Doom Town was "138", but I'm not sure if that's true.
Yes for this...though it is 1138

Finn

Staff member
Michael24 said:
I just looked up "1138" at Wikipedia and found Indy reference.
Seems like the Wiki page claims nowadays that it's on the hotrod's license plate in the opening scene. This I can bust. See here, the number is clearly "594".

It's not the staff car either. It is even more clearly visible during the scene, that plate is W-682. I guess that still leaves the truck, which I don't think is visible.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yes for this...though it is 1138

Sorry Jimmy, it IS 138...

indy4.jpg

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Wiki...that has more strings and lies attached to it then I ever saw at the bar....
Why are we sitting idly by, then? In the WikiSpace, all it takes for lies to prevail is for the good men to do nothing.