Public Enemies (2009)

Paden

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152836/

I just learned about this film and it has definitely caught my interest. The movie involves the federal authorities hunting down the likes of John Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd. Interesting cast, with Johnny Depp as Floyd and Christian Bale as what I surmise to be one of the feds. Michael Mann is directing. I'm always a sucker for Prohibition-era gangster tales, DePalma's The Untouchables being a long time favorite of mine. Here's hoping this one turns out to be worth the wait.

Katarn07

Batman vs Captain Jack? I'm in!

I love The Untouchables despite all its historical inaccuracies. I heard they were shooting some of this up in Wisconsin and are coming down here to Chicago for some of it. I'll definitely have to keep this one in mind.

Charlie Green

-> Public Enemies (2009)

The Feds try to take down notorious American gangsters John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd during a booming crime wave in the 1930s.

Released: 3 July 2009 (UK)

Starring:
-> Christian Bale
-> Johnny Depp

public-enemies-depp-02.jpg

dillinger0382.jpg

Looks great

Last edited:

The Man

More sweet piccies...*

30942.jpg
30943.jpg

*Didn't one of our own Raveners work as an extra on the movie..?

Niteshade007

It could be. I'm hoping it is, but with Mann, he has more misses than hits with me. The only one of his films that I have truly enjoyed was Heat. I thought Last of the Mohicans was one of the worst movies ever. Collateral was just okay for me. I saw it once, I'm not sure I ever have to see it again. Miami Vice was another bad one for me, although I haven't watched it in its entirety.

TheMutt92

I have been really looking forward to this film since its anouncement, I really think the people behind it are making something worth while.

On a brief sidenote, there's a girl in my class who's obssesed w/ Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. Most of the time people have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention these movies not coming out for another two or three years, but she instantly got it and is as anticpating it as I am (though for entirely different purposes... :p )

Katarn07

Meh, I'm not excited with this Michael Mann fellow. I've only seen Collateral. It was decent enough, but nothing to write home about.

Depp, Bale, and the '30s is enough for me though to get excited. I know stuff about this was posted earlier on here. I didn't realize it was so close to being released! (y)

TheDarkCrusader

This is one of the movies this year I'm looking forward to. Isn't it kind of ironic that Bale plays Melvin Purvis the FBI agent who goes after John Dillinger played by Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter plays an enemy of John Connor (Bale too) in the new Terminator after all those debates over whose Batman was better, Burton's or Nolan's ? This will be the battle of two rival fanbases lol!

Last edited:

The Man

It's Been Seen..!

I thought I had to let everyone know that PUBLIC ENEMIES was Amazingly Fantastic.

This is one of the greatest gangster flicks I have ever seen in a very long time. I highly reccommend this film and hope some of you can get a chance to see another screening of it soon.

Michael Mann's style has been retained, and refined. I wish more action minded directors would watch his movies. There's such a clarity to his action, that's been lost in the last couple of years. And, as can be expected, the cinematography is top notch. It's a different time, and different places, but he still finds a way to capture it in that graceful way.

Also, nice to see that Mann doesn't subscribe to PG-13 bullsh!t when it comes to his movies. Every hit counts, and all the blood was there. A lot of it.

(y)