The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
I imagine you'll have the interview with George Hall in the book below...
Would you believe that I still don't own that book?:eek::eek:

What I found interesting in the "Starlog" interview was that G.Hall got to choose which side of Old Indy the eyepatch would be on. In case anyone missed it, ATMachine made a great post about his communiqué with Rob MacGregor which concerned the author's original idea (pre-TV show) for Old Indy bookends to "Peril at Delphi".

Old Indy invented by Rob MacGregor pre-YIJC?

Trivial as it may be, it's too bad that MacGregor doesn't recall which eye wore the patch in his version of the aged professor.

Another curious item from the "Starlog" interview is that Hall wrote his own stories about Old Indy. I wonder if his family kept the notes? Would be fun to read 'em.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Would you believe that I still don't own that book?:eek::eek:

Actually, I don't!;)

Here's the extract.

✪ GEORGE HALL

We‟ve introduced you to both Corey Carrier and Sean Patrick Flanery in this chapter, but we‟ve yet to meet the Indiana Jones we see at the beginning and end of each episode. His name is George Hall, and he‟s the actor that plays Indy today at ninety-three. Having seen a lifetime of adventure and excitement, Old Indy is as charming and appealing as he was in his youth!

?I was so delighted when I found out I had won the role of the older Indiana Jones,? says Hall. ?It‟s a won- derful opportunity. I think the idea of playing a man who has been known as a hero to the audience, in his final years, reminiscing about the time of his youth before he became a hero, is fascinating.

?Indy at ninety-three is a feisty old guy and is never hesitant to tell someone what he thinks of their behaviour if it is obviously mean-spirited,? George continues.

?He‟s heroic in the sense that he‟s past the age of caring whether people appreciate what he‟s saying or not. He‟s old enough to know that the truisms are the truisms and should be believed because they are true. He‟s a good storyteller and he makes people want to listen to him and learn from listening to him. And then they go on and learn something else and continue the process of learning.

"I‟m playing a character who‟s been all over the world, learned all sorts of things, and lived a good life as a result of that kind of knowledge. He's not like his father, Henry Jones, Sr., who is a professor of medieval litera-
ture, and a book-learning man. Indy is more of a zoologist, paleontologist, geologist, and he‟s out there doing things. So his education is different from his father‟s. It‟s almost a swashbuckling kind of education and one that makes him fascinating and charming. The challenge of playing Jones at age 93 is to make him interesting sothat when he tells a story, people don't go, ?Oh, my God, here he goes again!‟ ?

Having had a lifetime of acting experience, George Hall fulfills that challenge with ease. A graduate of the Neighborhood Playhouse School of Theater in New York, he has performed in over nineteen Broadway shows. He has worked with such Hollywood names as Carol Chan-
ning and Richard Gere and has made appearances on several soap operas in New York. He also appeared in the motion picture Johnny Be Good.
Hired more for his acting ability than for a resem- blance to Harrison Ford, George Hall states, ?I don‟t think I look much like Harrison Ford. The point is, if Laurence Olivier had lived to ninety-three, he might have looked a great deal different from his younger, Shakespearean days. So one shouldn‟t expect to look like one did when one was thirty?I‟m not really con- cerned about the fact that I don‟t look like what every- body thinks he should look like .... I look like a man of ninety-three. But the makeup is really quite remarkable, even at close range?.Actually, I think the makeup does give me a resemblance to Harrison, certainly from a profile. He has a stronger chin than I have, but, you know, people shrivel when they get old,? he says, laughing.

Although fans will recognize Old Indy‟s trademark brown fedora, at ninety-three he‟s traded his leather bullwhip for a walking stick with a brass handle shaped like an eagle‟s head. But there are more changes to Indy‟s outward appearance as well.

?I wear a patch over my right eye,? explains George, ?and a scar down my forehead. We assume that my right eye has been damaged. The scar continues down my right cheek and off to the side. And I wear my glasses over the patch, so it looks kind of romantic and rather strange and silly all at the same time!?

Not only do George Hall and old Indiana Jones share the same appearance and voice, they also share a love for the past.

?I do share his fascination with history,? says George, ?but I don‟t have the knowledge that his character has. I also have a fascination with nature. I‟m no expert, but I do love the great outdoors.?

Wilmington, North Carolina, is the location George and the Young Indy crew have been shooting the begin- ning and end scenes. The veteran actor recalls his first day of filming with great clarity.

In this episode Old Indy comes to the rescue of an old lady getting into a tussle with a young punk. He is hauled off to jail for assaulting the punk, but not before he tells him a story about World War I. "I felt good, I learned my lines, and I knew what I was doing. I wasn‟t nervous because I‟m not playing the Indiana Jones that people all know from going to the movies. I'm playing a man, ninety?three, who is an Indiana Jones of another time and era,? George concludes with a warm smile. ?I want to be the Indiana Jones people love now.?

OldIndy2323

I've been looking for that book for years!! Are there any pictures in it? (Especially anything with Old Indy's family?)

Stoo

Preview - Part 14

JuniorJones said:
Actually, I don't!;)

Here's the extract.
Thanks a lot for transcribing that, JuniorJones. You know I appreciate it and it's always very interesting to read about what George Hall has to say about the facial scar. Great addition to the thread!(y)
George Hall said:
“I wear a patch over my right eye,” explains George, “and a scar down my forehead. We assume that my right eye has been damaged. The scar continues down my right cheek and off to the side. And I wear my glasses over the patch, so it looks kind of romantic and rather strange and silly all at the same time!”
Here's a preview for the next installment - Part 14!

StooTV_14_Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Sven

Alright, I spent days with reading that thread and watching the videos - it was an unique and nostalgic experience, thanks to Stoo and all the guys who posted another interesting links! :hat:

Cause some people talked about the theory of the reasons for cutting the bookends: It makes sense that they disappeared because of the planned 4th IJ movie. I had an own theory so far. I thought that the episodes were getting re-edited because of the audience's lack of interest. So the new versions would be an attempt to gain higher TV ratings. We have a turn of phrase here in Germany "retten, was noch zu retten ist" (literally: "to save what is to save left", corresponding: "to make the best of a bad job"). Probably I was wrong - only George Lucas himself could tell... ;)

Stoo

Sven, I'm happy to hear that you had a 'unique and nostalgic experience' while reading through the thread & watching the videos.:)

However, I don't believe that the bookends were were dropped from the "Adventures of..." VHS & DVD releases because of the prospect of a 4th Indy film. Like you, I think they were left out because of the criticism they initially received and you're correct by saying that we will never really know until we hear from George, himself.:(

Personally, I didn't care for them at the time :eek: but appreciate the bookends now because they are *rare* and previously unseen (or forgotten) by a large number of present-day Indy fans. That's the sole reason why I uploaded them for all to see.;)

Do you have a favourite? Mine is either the donut shop (Somme) or the photo exhibit (Petrograd).

Sven

Hi Stoo, can't tell if I have a favorite. Important ones are for me the bookends with further informations about the real historic events and persons. Okay, there are some I could get these informations by doing a little research at Wikipedia or elsewhere. But: I'm really sad to see all the removed bookends which bring special plot twists to the story. Some examples:

The rescued Barthélemy is just a poor African boy in the new version instead a later important politician of his country.

The false Degas painting. To know that an "unknown Picasso" get auctioned is such a funny and weird punchline - gone for nothing.

The discussion about the true date of the Petrograd shot in the exhibition is more than just a detail.

And (cheesy or not): The reunion with Vicky was one of the most emotional sequences for me of the whole show - this can't be removed!

And I didn't mention all the wise moral stuff... :(

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
Below is a preview inspired by the Young Indy TV Guide issue (that I don't have. Hi, Metalin.;) )
StooTV_07_Medium.jpg
AnnieJones said:
Hey Stoo,was it inspired by this one?
BIG_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles_TV_Guide_Feb_29_1992-262x352.jpg
By the way,if you're wondering what website I got this picture from,it was one called TV Toy Memories and I think the inside of this Young Indiana Jones TV Guide said the following,because according to the TV Guide website that what it had on the inside.

Premiered: April 04, 1992, on ABC
Rating: None
User Rating: *****(13 ratings)
Add Your Rating: *****
Premise: The youthful adventures of the `Raiders of the Lost Ark' hero, as recalled by Indy at age 93. `Raiders' producer George Lucas created this clever and entertaining prequel to his movie series, in which young Indy met such figures as Teddy Roosevelt, Picasso, Mata Hari, T.E. Lawrence, Hemingway and Freud. The series never gained a wide audience, but four TV-movies aired on the Family Channel between 1994 and '96. Harrison Ford appeared as the adult Indy in a 1993 episode set in 1920s Chicago.

stranger

Hi Stoo, thank you very much for all the bookends you've uploaded for us to see since 2008, I love them all and I had never seen them before. Lucas should have put them on the DVDs along with all those docs, at least as deleted scenes. What a loss...I can't wait to see the Florence and Peking bookends. Any chance of seeing them soon?

Stoo

Florence Bookends in French

@stranger: Apologies for the late reply...I will eventually upload the bookends for Florence & Peking but have been saving them for a very, rainy day in Indyland.

However...TODAY, someone named, bestbuyextras221, commented on my YouTube page for Part 13 that he/she just uploaded the Florence bookends. (Unfortunately, they are in French.) The cool thing is, he/she followed suit and titled them "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 14"!(y) For those who are starving and can't wait for the English version, here is a direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seojnp5vBNc

Is bestbuyextras221 a Raven member? If so, please speak up!

Stoo

Missing 15 Seconds from "Austria" Bookends

The guy know as, bestbuyextras221, has just informed me that he has uploaded the full, opening bookends for "Austria, 1917"! (My upload was missing approx. 15 seconds due to a bad TV signal). For me, it's 15 seconds of UNSEEN FOOTAGE...Check it out!:whip:

BestBuyExtras221 titled it, "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 4A" to follow suit with my uploads. Very nice...Gotta ask this guy to join The Raven!

For the Young/Old Indy freaks, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/bestbuyextras221

Raiders90

IMO, "Old Indy" is a close looker for what Indy would probably look like as an elderly man. They definately got the look down right.

My qualms are:
1) The eyepatch--it makes things a little too hokey.
2) Couldn't George Hall have at least TRIED to act a little like Indy? I mean, sure, people change as they age, but his accent (when did Indy get a proper accent?!), mannerisms and general attitude are all off. Also, I kind of picture Indy being a grumpy old man, rather than being annoying.
3) Did Old Indy have to be made to look like a fool so often by having so many people either fall asleep, simply not listen to, or misunderstand the whole point of his stories?

The idea of Old Indy was great in concept, and Hall definitely looked the part...But horribly executed IMO. Plus somehow those early '90s segments are dated, but that doesn't matter to me personally as I have nostalgia for that time period.

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
Florence Bookends in French

@stranger: Apologies for the late reply...I will eventually upload the bookends for Florence & Peking but have been saving them for a very, rainy day in Indyland.

However...TODAY, someone named, bestbuyextras221, commented on my YouTube page for Part 13 that he/she just uploaded the Florence bookends. (Unfortunately, they are in French.) The cool thing is, he/she followed suit and titled them "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 14"!(y) For those who are starving and can't wait for the English version, here is a direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seojnp5vBNc

Is bestbuyextras221 a Raven member? If so, please speak up!
Stoo said:
Missing 15 Seconds from "Austria" Bookends

The guy know as, bestbuyextras221, has just informed me that he has uploaded the full, opening bookends for "Austria, 1917"! (My upload was missing approx. 15 seconds due to a bad TV signal). For me, it's 15 seconds of UNSEEN FOOTAGE...Check it out!:whip:

BestBuyExtras221 titled it, "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 4A" to follow suit with my uploads. Very nice...Gotta ask this guy to join The Raven!

For the Young/Old Indy freaks, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/bestbuyextras221
Yay!This is great stuff!Thanks for telling us about it Stoo.(y)

ATMachine

On the subject of eye patches and Indiana Jones:

Dale Myers is an 89-year-old NASA veteran who was involved with Apollo 13 and the Space Shuttle program. He sports an eyepatch and glasses in similar fashion to Old Indy, having lost an eye in a car accident as a young man.

Here's a YouTube video of him giving a lecture at MIT in 2005.

Note the YouTube comments:

pinkie24: "the eye patch is cool"

Charleswang64: "I will write down anything you say if you are wearing an eye patch."

jeetendrag10acc2: "your university lecturers look like adventurers. Ours look like dorks unfortunately."

tdlob1: "Myers is badass, what other professor have you seen that rocks an eye-patch?"

Boloko: "eye-patch , totally badass!"

Sprinterdrift: "I'm sorry if this is in bad taste but I have to say: that eye patch is ****ing badass."

jimbopumbapigsticks @ Sprinterdrift: "Not at all - it makes him look like some Indiana Jones person who teaches in between aeronautical adventures."

Interesting. Perhaps the character of Old Indy--eyepatch and all--was an idea that had potential, though the execution was admittedly lacking.

Raiders112390 said:
IMO, "Old Indy" is a close looker for what Indy would probably look like as an elderly man. They definately got the look down right.

My qualms are:
1) The eyepatch--it makes things a little too hokey.
2) Couldn't George Hall have at least TRIED to act a little like Indy? I mean, sure, people change as they age, but his accent (when did Indy get a proper accent?!), mannerisms and general attitude are all off. Also, I kind of picture Indy being a grumpy old man, rather than being annoying.
3) Did Old Indy have to be made to look like a fool so often by having so many people either fall asleep, simply not listen to, or misunderstand the whole point of his stories?

The idea of Old Indy was great in concept, and Hall definitely looked the part...But horribly executed IMO. Plus somehow those early '90s segments are dated, but that doesn't matter to me personally as I have nostalgia for that time period.
Agreed completely. As much as I love the idea of Old Indy, I think the series scriptwriters were at a total loss as to how to make him seem relevant. Since the people to whom he tells his stories almost always ignore the points he's trying to make, he seems very foolish for rambling on so much!

In my view, Old Indy should've been played against characters who were more receptive to what he had to say; it would've made him come off as less of a doddering old codger. One good way to do it might have been to place the frame stories in Indy's familiar academic setting, where as an elderly professor he tells his stories to rapt audiences of students (as in fact seems to be happening in this picture). I've had the fortune to have a few grizzled charismatic lecturers of this type in my school days. Although given that Old Indy is in his 90s I don't know how much teaching he would realistically do!

OldIndy2323

Stoo,
while we're waiting for your exciting conclusion to the Old Indy Chronicles, how about sharing with me your evidence for choosing Staten Island as Indy's home? We talked about this topic a bit months ago, but you never got an opportunity to share your findings. My choice of Nanuet, in upstate NY, is based on the following (quick summary):
-"...just across the river"
-NY liscense plates on cars in outside shots
-Mall within driving distance
-Former location of Hills supermarket
-Suburban streets/house styles match
-small towns nearby

I'm greatly looking forward to your evidence. Maybe we can solve this once and for all.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Here's a detail on Hills Supermarket that might be helpful, on the production end, if not the story end. Obviously, all it says is that Hills (or the name, at least) did make it down to North Carolina.

Were there <I>any</I> Hills stores left in New York, New Jersey, or even Connecticut by the early 1990s?

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
"...just across the river"
Keep in mind that, ?just across the river?, is a reference to where Indy was born, not where he lives in 1992. I know you?re into the nitty-gritty details so here we go?

My main reasons for Staten Island derive from the bookends for ?German East Africa, December 1916? and most everything else can be made to fit into place.

1) The back of Mike?s satin, bowling shirt has the word, ?Statens? and I believe that the full, bowling team name is, ?Satin Statens? (due to the other letters that are visible on his shirt). Mike must be part of a local bowling team. How far would you travel to go bowling?

2) The police officers have shoulder badges that are the same/similar to the New York City Police Department. (Compare with a Wilmington, North Carolina police badge.)

3) Indy is wearing his slippers which *could* indicate that he?s not too far from home and went to a hospital within his neighbourhood.

(Soon after we discussed this a year ago, I noticed that the IndyWiki website picked up on my Staten Island theory.):)

Mike_01.jpg

Mike_02.jpg

Mike_06.jpg