Lost Indy Wave at Comic-Con 2011

Tohtally Indy

I'm a little late to the party I guess, but I LOVE that these figures are finally being offered! I thinking maybe between $50-$60 for the set?... maybe a little more depending on how many accessories Dr. Jones will have...
I hope these will be available at hasbrotoyshop.com because I won't be making the trip to SDCC.
Looking forward to these!!:gun:

Billy Ray

Lance Quazar said:
According to the Toy Fair announcement, the figures,
"...will be in a big special box that opens to reveal all 6 figures on cardback. "

I honestly don't get the love for the vintage cardbacks. Other than the (extremely limited) nostalgia factor, they are just ugly cards. Badly designed and unattractive. Fortunately, there is simply no way Hasbro would use them.

Ah thanks, I must have somehow missed that*. So something kind of like the "Revenge of the Jedi"/Death Star box set isn't really out of the question then. In fact, since they are doing that for Star Wars, maybe it is even likely. Maybe an Ark shaped box, or a crate?

*EDIT - LOL, there it is, right in the first post of this thread, plainer than the nose on my face :eek:

JTKenobi

It's been a while since I've been here but I have to chime in and say how pumped I am that these are finally going to be made available. This SDCC was a very pleasant surprise. I hope they are made available in decent numbers and everyone has a chance to get them. I will be getting 2 sets :D

ChromiumBlue37

Lance Quazar said:
"...will be in a big special box that opens to reveal all 6 figures on cardback. "

I honestly don't get the love for the vintage cardbacks. Other than the (extremely limited) nostalgia factor, they are just ugly cards. Badly designed and unattractive. Fortunately, there is simply no way Hasbro would use them.

Could not agree with you more there, Sir.

Yes the vintage, yellow cardbacks are not the most attractive, but they do hold some very dear sentiment. The heiroglyphs and the sihouette of Indy are very cool. Hasbro would not even bother to do a vintage-style cardback for something like this. If the line were still in production and had some presence, maybe so.

Hopefully, they will continue with the 2008 marketing tempelate so the entire collection will match.

KOTCS

I too couldn't be happier about this. I plan to get two sets as long as they are in the $50 - $60 range. I can see why they would go for the vintage packages since these were the core characters from the vintage Kenner line. That was what was so tragic about their initial cancelation - it deprived fans of the original line updated counterparts. If they go with vintage Kenner packaging they may attract those fans of the Kenner originals who passed over the 2008 line but will now be drawn in by the nostalgia of the old packaging. It also syncs up with what they are doing with star wars packaging right now.

I can't wait to see the new Indy headsculpt. This set is a dream come true!

Lance Quazar

Billy Ray said:
In fact, since they are doing that for Star Wars, maybe it is even likely. Maybe an Ark shaped box, or a crate?

Dude, this is an awesome idea!!! And unlike so much other speculation it is -

A) logical
B) easy to achieve (without requiring much extra effort on Hasbro's part)

and

C) Consistent with their actions in the past

I love it!

I think "crate" is more likely, but either would be sweet!

Lance Quazar

KOTCS said:
If they go with vintage Kenner packaging they may attract those fans of the Kenner originals who passed over the 2008 line but will now be drawn in by the nostalgia of the old packaging.

There are no such people. At least in remotely significant enough numbers to matter to Hasbro.

Montana Smith

I don't care how they come, as long as the packaging is collector-friendly.

The best form is open an end and slide out a tray. If they're on cards or blistered to a backing they'll just get ripped off and the box is ruined anyway.

A plain white box with a plastic liner tray would do me - or as someone else mentioned, those little white boxes that Star Wars mail-away figures came in. For me it's what's inside that counts - and those little white mailers made for exciting deliveries from the postman all those years ago.

Lance Quazar said:
There are no such people. At least in remotely significant enough numbers to matter to Hasbro.

I only have one of those Kenners still carded - the Cairo Swordsman, because he seemed cheap to pick up. I have no real nostalgia or love for those Kenner figures. I never saw them around in the UK at the time, and afterwards I wasn't disappointed to have missed them (apart from the playsets, and then Toht because Hasbro hadn't released him). The 12" Kenner Indy (i.e. Han Solo) hads always been a joke (a Barbie doll compared to Palitoy's Action Man / Hasbro's GI Joe). Therefore the Hasbro releases were like being a kid all over again, only this time being offered figures much more to my expectations. Unlike their Star Wars range, the Indy figures were a manageable number, and much more suited to completists - which makes this last Indy wave a must.

Last edited:

ChromiumBlue37

Six carded figures would fit perfectly into a crate or box shaped disoplay container. Would be a great idea. Indiana Jones and the Miraculous Treasure!

I.M.J.

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Six carded figures would fit perfectly into a crate or box shaped disoplay container. Would be a great idea. Indiana Jones and the Miraculous Treasure!

True, it could be a warehouse crate rather than the ark...

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
I only have one of those Kenners still carded - the Cairo Swordsman, because he seemed cheap to pick up. I have no real nostalgia or love for those Kenner figures. I never saw them around in the UK at the time, and afterwards I wasn't disappointed to have missed them (apart from the playsets, and then Toht because Hasbro hadn't released him). The 12" Kenner Indy (i.e. Han Solo) hads always been a joke (a Barbie doll compared to Palitoy's Action Man / Hasbro's GI Joe). Therefore the Hasbro releases were like being a kid all over again, only this time being offered figures much more to my expectations. Unlike their Star Wars range, the Indy figures were a manageable number, and much more suited to completists - which makes this last Indy wave a must.

I was a giant consumer of the original "Star Wars" line as a kid and a MASSIVE Indiana Jones fan. I also lived in a major metropolitan area and I didn't even know those "Raiders" figures even existed until I was an adult.

The line was even more short lived than the current line - there just isn't one shred of the built-in nostalgia for the SW figures that MILLIONS of kids were into.

I did, however, have one of those "Ken doll" Indiana Jones 12" figures and I loved it. But I had no other figures to play with and no vehicles (except for a large Tonka truck which was big enough to reenact the Cairo desert chase).

Having seen pictures of it more recently on-line, I am stunned at how crappy looking it was.

But it didn't matter at the time. It was me, the doll, the tonka truck or a roaring fire in the fireplace to simulate the burning Raven. But I had hours and hours of fun with it. 99.99% of the adventure was in my mind. As it was meant to be.

Billy Ray

Yeah, I had Indy, Marion, Toht, and the Cairo Swordsman that I got for Christmas through the JC Penny's catalog when we were overseas. They came in a set with the Well of Souls playset. I never knew that there were other figures in the line or the truck, map room, etc and never knew there was a 12" figure. I would have killed for the rest of that stuff had I known about it back then.

tnswman

Lance Quazar said:

WOW!! You totally don't have your finger on the pulse of the hobby. Look at SW...The vintage cardbacks are the top selling action figures each and every wave....The Vintage Indy cards were AMAZING examples with very nice character specific images that generated the love that most of us oldies have for the line. So, FORTUNATELY, Hasbro is very aware of how popular and APPROPRIATE the vintage card-backs can be.

tnswman

It looks to me like the Box for the figures was already shown on the slide shown at Toy Fair. Look at the box to the left of the slide with the Gold sticker.

Montana Smith

tnswman said:
WOW!! You totally don't have your finger on the pulse of the hobby. Look at SW...The vintage cardbacks are the top selling action figures each and every wave....The Vintage Indy cards were AMAZING examples with very nice character specific images that generated the love that most of us oldies have for the line. So, FORTUNATELY, Hasbro is very aware of how popular and APPROPRIATE the vintage card-backs can be.

Star Wars is a completely different ball game to Indiana Jones. It sells to a massive young market as well as older collectors - that young market is sustained by media such as the Clone Wars animation. Indy couldn't get anywhere close, as this last wave indicates. Even in the 1980s Indy toys were few and far between, so the nostalgia factor of the original cards won't be as potent as retro Star Wars cards.

Hasbro isn't going to produce some intricate box.

The Ark Crate is a no brainer, how it opens for display may be the tricky part.

Lid goes up, sides swing out front panel drops. Even that's too much.

If the top lifts off and it can belowered onto it's face so the contents can be displayed...cool.

Billy Ray

tnswman said:
It looks to me like the Box for the figures was already shown on the slide shown at Toy Fair. Look at the box to the left of the slide with the Gold sticker.

Ah, never considered that that might actually be the box but, now that you mention it, it very well could be. Though I am not sure that was an actual slide in any of the Hasbro slideshows. I was under the impression that it was just something that Cool Toy Review threw together.

Lance Quazar

tnswman said:
, FORTUNATELY, Hasbro is very aware of how popular and APPROPRIATE the vintage card-backs can be.

As usual, Montana has said what was in my head far more eloquently. But I'll just add this -

Yes, Hasbro knows when and where Vintage cardbacks are appropriate - and Indy ain't it.

There is a massive difference between appealing to the nostalgia for a MASSIVELY successful line that lasted ten years, produced hundreds of figures and was bought by millions of people, versus the non-existent nostalgia for a one year line with roughly have a dozen figures that many die hard fans (like myself) never even knew existed.

The reason Hasbro went full on vintage for their modern line is that the adult collector market was drying up. The Legacy line underperformed and they are desperate to boost interest from the grown-ups for their SW product.

Even with the spiffy new vintage look, the line STILL isn't doing very well and Hasbro's Star Wars line is being driven by the wild success of the Clone Wars line. The kids are buying that stuff in droves. The adults (largely) are staying away.

There is no remotely significant advantage to releasing Indy figures on a vintage cardback except to extreme diehards (in case there is any confusion, anyone who has an account on the Raven automatically qualifies as such.)

Let's be honest - free from the haze of nostalgia, those old Indy cards aren't even that good. They are just badly designed with only a few cool elements (like the hieroglyphs) and don't have 1/100th of the cultural significance of the classic Star Wars toys.