Why does everyone hate Temple Of Doom?

Mephisto

He was a scruffy nerd herder in most of Raiders as well. It's his look to have a light beard. Honestly after all hehas been through how many people watching would say,"Gee Golly why didn't Indiana shave? Hat's not professional." Besides that giant palace didn't have any extra razors? Perhaps because the prince is not yet of shaving age. I don't really think that short scene was needed to justify a VERY llight beard. Perhaps Lao Che had his mb steal the razor from his luggage. "If you don't kill him at least embarrass him. He will look a fool if he meets anyone of importance without shaving. At least I have a neatly trimmed mustache meaning I could be a polce officer, New York Yankee, or even Magnum PI. And my side burns! Elvis would be jealous and I could be the star of 90210!"

I wish if they were so anal about covering a plot hole like that they would have taken more time thinking things out in Last Cusade.

Mickiana

I think it would have been strange if he went to dinner unshaven without a good reason. That very small scene purely enabled that. it's no big deal. Also, for me it was reminiscent of the scene in Raiders when Indy is hit in the jaw by the swinging mirror that Marion flips over to get a better look at herself, specifically the yelling part that is accompanied by the long shot of the ship.

The Drifter

Mickiana said:
...the scene in Raiders when Indy is hit in the jaw by the swinging mirror that Marion flips over to get a better look at herself, specifically the yelling part that is accompanied by the long shot of the ship.

Hah, yes!
That part always stuck out like a sore thumb to me, for some reason. While "Shorty, where's my razor" isn't that bad. But, why would Short Round know where Indy's razor is in the first place?

Mephisto

The Drifter said:
Hah, yes!
That part always stuck out like a sore thumb to me, for some reason. While "Shorty, where's my razor" isn't that bad. But, why would Short Round know where Indy's razor is in the first place?

He packed his **** before picking Dr. Jones up outside of club Obi-Wan.

Stoo

Mephisto said:
He was a scruffy nerd herder in most of Raiders as well. It's his look to have a light beard. Honestly after all hehas been through how many people watching would say,"Gee Golly why didn't Indiana shave? Hat's not professional." Besides that giant palace didn't have any extra razors? Perhaps because the prince is not yet of shaving age. I don't really think that short scene was needed to justify a VERY llight beard. Perhaps Lao Che had his mb steal the razor from his luggage. "If you don't kill him at least embarrass him. He will look a fool if he meets anyone of importance without shaving. At least I have a neatly trimmed mustache meaning I could be a polce officer, New York Yankee, or even Magnum PI. And my side burns! Elvis would be jealous and I could be the star of 90210!"

I wish if they were so anal about covering a plot hole like that they would have taken more time thinking things out in Last Cusade.
Plot hole?:confused: I like you, Mephisto, but are you serious? It was a short way of explaining why he wasn't shaved during the dinner scene.

Mickiana

Does "nerd herder" mean teacher? If so, he was not scruffy in front of his class in Raiders, nor at the meeting in Washington at the end.

He was clean shaven in Club Obi Wan, then gets scruffier as the movie progresses.

He is clean shaven for about the first half of LC.

This is straying from the thread topic and probably lost its significance, except to show that Indy's state of 'shavedness' is not random, but is carefully written into the plot.

Mephisto

Well it's a moot point now. I just chatted with George Lucas. He told me he is changing this scene for the Blu-ray. He is going to move the balcony shot of Short Round farther back in the film and darken the scene so it appears to be night. He is going to wedge it in during the "nocturnal activities" scene after Indy goes back into his room but before the Thugee assassin appears. George is having Harrison record a new line. It will be, "Shorty where's my condoms?!" This will also explain where Shorty was when the Thugee attacked Indy why Short Round came into the room when he did.

George explained that he feels Indiana should be practicing safe sex especially since he hasn't known Willie for long. In the event of a 5th film being produced he doesn't want to have to have the love child of Indy and Willie show up. By acknowledging earlier in Temple of Doom that Indy practices safe sex the audience will realize he will most likely do the same after the film ends when they hook up after he whips her into his arms. He feels that the audience will then understand that Indy and Marion had Mutt because they had known each other for years nd had a previous relationship. Either that or Indy's condom broke and Mutt was merely an "accident" as many Indy fans already believe. Ok so George didn't actually say that last part about Mutt being an accident.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Mephisto said:
Well it's a moot point now. I just chatted with George Lucas. He told me he is changing this scene for the Blu-ray. He is going to move the balcony shot of Short Round farther back in the film and darken the scene so it appears to be night. He is going to wedge it in during the "nocturnal activities" scene after Indy goes back into his room but before the Thugee assassin appears. George is having Harrison record a new line. It will be, "Shorty where's my condoms?!" This will also explain where Shorty was when the Thugee attacked Indy why Short Round came into the room when he did.

George explained that he feels Indiana should be practicing safe sex especially since he hasn't known Willie for long. In the event of a 5th film being produced he doesn't want to have to have the love child of Indy and Willie show up. By acknowledging earlier in Temple of Doom that Indy practices safe sex the audience will realize he will most likely do the same after the film ends when they hook up after he whips her into his arms. He feels that the audience will then understand that Indy and Marion had Mutt because they had known each other for years nd had a previous relationship. Either that or Indy's condom broke and Mutt was merely an "accident" as many Indy fans already believe. Ok so George didn't actually say that last part about Mutt being an accident.

I believe George would want to cure Indy's habit of shooting first and asking questions later, such as "how old?"

Mephisto

Montana Smith said:
I believe George would want to cure Indy's habit of shooting first and asking questions later, such as "how old?"

Since it wasn't pertinent to the top at hand and I knew it would anger so many people, he did admit to me that in the Blu-ray the Swords Man of Cairo pulls a gun out of his side and fires just after twirling his sword and then Indy shoots. I know this is everyone's worst fear realized. Also in Last Crusade he is edition he scene where Indy shoots the 3 German's with the machine gun just after finding his father. Instead Sean Connery will stumble into a guard causing him to fire off target and then Indy takes the gun away and shoots them. George admitted having Connery jump foward on screen doesn't look quite right, but said it worked out ok when Han shifts slightly to accout for Greedo's missed shot. Although he admitted Connery's movemen is much more dramatic and is similar to the movement of Ford when he steps on Jabba's tail in Star Wars.

In regards to Marion and being "underage"...She was at the age of consent in which the original affair took place. Plus they had her father Abner's blessing.

Last edited:

Temple Raider

Temple Of Doom has always been my favorite and I'm astounded that it continues to be hated by so many. I remember how shocked I was when I first started using the internet and saw it was so hated and considered the worst of the series. For me it's always been as awesome as Raiders. I love it's much darker tone and more dangerous atmosphere, it's edgier portrayal of Indy which IMO is arguably his best portrayal (heroic, heartfelt and badass all in one), and it has such awesome action scenes like the mine cart chase and the showdown at the bridge. I like that it was such a different movie than Raiders with Indy as more of an adventurer and different villains and a different artifact. For me, no Indy villain even comes close to the raw evil and menace that Mola Ram commands that not even Belloq and Toht match (which is saying a lot because both are excellent villains, too).

Unlike a lot of others, I've also never minded Short Round and Willie. Short Round was an awesome sidekick who was likeable and funny, but also wasn't annoying and had a great and touching relationship with Indy. Willie Scott I've always found funny and her scenes get a good chuckle out of me every time I watch the movie. As someone who normally loathes comic relief characters, she didn't bother me and I thought she added some good humor to the otherwise dark proceedings of the movie.

Another thing I absolutely love about TOD is The Slave Children's Crusade theme. What an awesome, empowering piece of music and definitely among the best work John Williams has ever done. I honestly like it even better than the classic IJ theme and when I think of Indy, that's what I hear in my head when I get the image of a heroic Indy.

I'll always be a TOD fan, for me Raiders and TOD are the ultimate when it comes to Indy :cool:

dr.jones1986

I just read a great article about Temple of Doom on a site called Grantland (it is a spin off of ESPN, it deals not only with sports but popular culture as well). It talked about not only the origins and production of temple of doom but also its legacy. It is worth reading for every Indiana Jones fan. There was even a few things in it I did not know before. I will post the link.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8321331/explaining-indiana-jones-temple-doom

Also this same site has been doing a Sequeltology bracket...basically an NCAA style tournament for movie sequels. Our favorite archeologist made it to the final four...but is currently losing to "The Empire Strikes Back." You can vote on facebook on the Grantland page. I will provide this link as well. It is worth checking out for Indy fans.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/56656/sequeltology-day-5

russds

dr.jones1986 said:
I just read a great article about Temple of Doom on a site called Grantland http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8321331/explaining-indiana-jones-temple-doom

Pretty nice article. I really like ToD, so I had to read this. Some thigns i found really interesting:

"But lost to history is the story of the man whose heart was ripped. The role of 'Sacrifice Victim' was played by Nizwar Karanj. I call him one afternoon in Mumbai." Wow, nice, he just calls up this actor...interesting. Goes on to talk about how he got the part, and what he wasn't told about the part.

"Karanj was locked in a cage. He told Spielberg that a poor schmuck in his situation would be praying to Shiva, and Spielberg told him to go with that."

"Spielberg had returned from England and asked for an effect that wasn't in his storyboards. He wanted to see Mola Ram reach into Karanj's chest."

"I had to ask Lucas about the heart. The metaphor seemed too perfect. Is that your heart being ripped out? I asked. "Yeah," Lucas said, but he insisted the glee with which it was ripped out was Spielberg's."

I have to wonder though, is the author for real? Who is this guy (Bryan Curtis) that can just call up Karanj, and met with George Lucas last December.

Either way, nice article, interesting bits of info i hadn't heard before.

Another piece of trivia, there's actually an unused scene at the very end of the trailer. It has an extended view of the sacrifice victim going down the lava pit that's not used in the movie.

dr.jones1986

russds said:
Pretty nice article. I really like ToD, so I had to read this. Some thigns i found really interesting:

"But lost to history is the story of the man whose heart was ripped. The role of 'Sacrifice Victim' was played by Nizwar Karanj. I call him one afternoon in Mumbai." Wow, nice, he just calls up this actor...interesting. Goes on to talk about how he got the part, and what he wasn't told about the part.

"Karanj was locked in a cage. He told Spielberg that a poor schmuck in his situation would be praying to Shiva, and Spielberg told him to go with that."

"Spielberg had returned from England and asked for an effect that wasn't in his storyboards. He wanted to see Mola Ram reach into Karanj's chest."

"I had to ask Lucas about the heart. The metaphor seemed too perfect. Is that your heart being ripped out? I asked. "Yeah," Lucas said, but he insisted the glee with which it was ripped out was Spielberg's."

I have to wonder though, is the author for real? Who is this guy (Bryan Curtis) that can just call up Karanj, and met with George Lucas last December.

Either way, nice article, interesting bits of info i hadn't heard before.

Another piece of trivia, there's actually an unused scene at the very end of the trailer. It has an extended view of the sacrifice victim going down the lava pit that's not used in the movie.

I was curious myself how he was able to contact that actor. I had never seen any interviews from this actor before. They are based out of LA so I would imagine they have some contacts in the film industry.