Flannery as Indy

Raiders90

How do you guys think Flannery did as Indy? I'd say he did a very good job--looked quite a bit similar to a younger Indy, got a lot of the older Indy's mannerisms down, and even had the little scar visible.

However I have a few problems with his Indy:
-His build. He seems far too idk..skinny and not as imposing as Ford's Indy.
-His voice is too high pitched. Part of Indy's bad-as* ness in the 30s movies is his deep, authoritative voice.
-No stubble. Not even in Treasure of the Peacock's Eye he did sport so much as a day's worth of stubble
-None of the iconic Indy gear, except for the hat.

He also doesn't seem as hard edged, even after the war years. He never carries a gun on him, not even thinking to when setting off on the peacock quest, though he by the later years does show the Indy street fighting use anything available style and seems to have no problem with killing if necessary.

bonoferox

For a television Indy, he was good. I don't think he would have been able to carry the film franchise, though (had they (for some reason) continued the films with a younger Indy)

Exulted Unicron

I liked Flanery as Indy. He was a different kind, more akin to using his brains alot more and being open to new ideas in the world. Look at how he was in Winds of Change. How he wanted the world to change for the benefit of mankind.

Sure, he's not as worldly as Ford was, but remember, this was when he was a teenager

garzo

Funny, Flannery and Ford's characterizations were so different, it's almost as if they were two completely different characters. In a way they were.

I think it was Flannery's Indy that was much more worldly -- more traveled, more learned, more intellectual. You never saw Ford's Dr. Jones speak anything but English, while Flannery's Indy seemed to speak every language in the book, even Vietnamese!

I could never imagine Flannery's Indy gun down a threatening swordsman the way Ford did in "Raiders." But even the villains in "Young Indy" where more three-dimensional than those in the films. Compare the noble and gentlemanly behavior of Manfred von Richthofen in the series to the dastardly Nazis in the movies.

In the series, sometimes you didn't know who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. It became very blurred for Indy himself and he began to question the whole point of the war. By the end of the series, Flannery's Indy was a pacifist, humanitarian and internationalist.

For Ford's Indy, the Nazis were nasty bad guys, period. And in the dreadful "Crystal Skull," he even utters the words: "I like Ike!"

Lao_Che

garzo said:
I think it was Flannery's Indy that was much more worldly -- more traveled, more learned, more intellectual. You never saw Ford's Dr. Jones speak anything but English, while Flannery's Indy seemed to speak every language in the book, even Vietnamese!

You never told me you spoke my language, Dr. Jones.

----

Would have been nice to have seen Flanery's version gradually adopt more of the Ford mannerisms but there's time for it during the gap between the series and films, and I think it was more that Flanery wasn't really given the chance with the variety of the scripts. Flanery's Indy can pratfall as a spy one day and adopt a convincing Belgian-French accent the next but Ford's Indy can't imitate his father well enough to trick a foreign butler.

At least Flanery bothered (such as the way he puts on his hat) unlike George Hall. ;)

Raiders90

Lao_Che said:
You never told me you spoke my language, Dr. Jones.

----

Would have been nice to have seen Flanery's version gradually adopt more of the Ford mannerisms but there's time for it during the gap between the series and films, and I think it was more that Flanery wasn't really given the chance with the variety of the scripts. Flanery's Indy can pratfall as a spy one day and adopt a convincing Belgian-French accent the next but Ford's Indy can't imitate his father well enough to trick a foreign butler.

At least Flanery bothered (such as the way he puts on his hat) unlike George Hall. ;)

Well, we never do see Flannery's Indy try a Scottish accent--and in the years after WWI he might not have needed to don a false accent as much and thus might've gotten a little rusty. And his accent doesn't convince everyone--for example the recruiter he talks to when joining the army, or the police who arrest him for covorting with Mata Hari in Demons of Deception--they're able to tell right away he isn't who he claims to be, with the aid of some paperwork of course.

And Indy's techniques in posing first as an Arabic laborer (Raiders), a Nazi soldier (in Raiders) and again in LC, and as a Butler in LC, and a Scotsman in LC all do resemble traditional espionage methodology. He's basically acting as a spy for the American government during Raiders anyway, and I'd imagine it isn't just his knowledge of the occult that made Army Intelligence seek him out of all people--I'm sure they know something of his covert activities during WWI.

And Indiana in the films not only knows and can speak Chinese but also can speak Hindu and understand it--speaking to and translating the Village Elder for Willie and Shortie, and can read ancient Sanskrit. He also knows early Latin (his easy reading of the Grail tablet), and has at least a little knowledge of ancient Egyptian language/symbols (Raiders map room scene), as well as the Greek alphabet in the beginning of LC. So he knows a fair number of languages thoroughly in the films, and it's said he can speak 27 in the YIJC--which given his fluency in languages in the Ford films does seem believable, though he may have gotten rusty with some over time.

When ''describing'' Marcus for the Nazis, he claims Marcus can ''speak a dozen languages'', has friends from ''[Germany] to the Sudan" and knows ''every local custom.'' Given what we see of Indy in the films, I'd imagine his false description of Marcus is actually a description of himself--He has friends in all corners of the world, which would be likely given his travels both in the YIJC and throughout the novels, and we see he does know some local customs--for example the respect he shows the Villagers in TOD and his Indian hosts later in the film.

And there is a number of little Ford mannerisms in Flannery's beyond the hat--little gestures he does and he is, like Ford's Indy, sarcastic at times, and also has an acidic criticism of those he feels act foppish (for example his rebuking of the two Princes in Adventures in the Secret Service and his sarcasm to Vascari in Masks of Evil).

My main issues with Flannery are his voice--which is the same, sole issue I had with the idea of Selleck playing Indy--and his build. He doesn't have the deep, intense voice of Harrison or the powerful build, which makes him less imposing. Otherwise as I said above he did a very good job. They do look alike, especially as the series goes on--I'd say by 1919, 1920 he's starting to resemble the Indy we see in 1935. He could defintively have bulked up between 1920 and 1935--though when we see him shirtless in Treasure of the Peacock's Eye (1919) he already has the build of his older self and is an adept fighter--for example using the weapons available in the room in a street fighting manner when he and Remy are ambushed in their hotel room, or his fight with the racists in Winds of Change (1920), where he kicks a--.

And Marion does say to him in Raiders, "you're not the man I knew ten years ago", which could be referring to both his appearance and his personality--which would fit in nicely with the idea that he grows into being Indiana Jones--he starts off the YIJC as Henry Jones, Jr., and through the course of the series (and the novels, which bridge the gap), he fully becomes Indiana Jones. And then in KOTCS we see a reversal--He begins to revert back into Henry Jones, Jr.--for example, he could've easily shot the Ugha Warrior confronting Mutt, but instead decides to simply show the threat of force rather than using it--the Indy of ROTLA would've definitively just shot the Ugha Warrior.

Finally, in the YIJC there is some nods to the later movies--we see him visit Venice in 1918, and he remarks "Ah, Venice" in LC, showing that he had indeed been there before. Or his whole relationship with his father in the YIJC and novels--Not speaking over his academic choices--is treated with great continuity in both the novels, YIJC and films. The fact that Henry tells Indy he left ''just when he was becoming interesting'' fits in well with the YIJC--leaving at 16 and again at 20--Just when Henry would literally to have a greater interest or ability to relate with him.

Last edited:

Snakes

I think that Flannery's portrayal of Indy varied a lot from episode to episode, probably because of different writers and directors. Sometimes I thought that he did a great job as Indy, even if he did seem much younger and maybe more naive at times, not quite as world weary. At other times though he didn't seem at all like Jones, usually in the more un-Indy like episodes. There were a few times, one I think in Daredevils in the Desert, where Flannery really nailed some of Fords expressions and mannerisms. I think that when they made an effort of it, the directors and Flannery did a good job of showing a younger, less hard edged Indy.

My two cents.

Chewbacca Jones

I agree with Snakes. His performance varied, but sometimes he did very well. I consider the fact that the Indy of the TV show was not intended to be the edgy Ford character, but instead one who absorbs the world with wonder and enthusiasm. After all, Lucas did say it was supposed to be educational, right. Fords Indy has had most of the wonder taken out of him. He hasn't seen everything, but... he's a scientist. Nthing shocks him. Flannery is playing the young, wide-eyed youth, further endowed by Lucas' intent with the series.

Personally, I found the war years to be the most compelling. Granted, Flannery showed less Frod-like mannerisms during that time. However, we really see the good man that Ford's Indy keep hidden beneath all those rough edges. And we see the things that would have started to harden him. War will do that. Hard life/death decisions will do that. And being betrayed by the ideal you fought for will certainly do that.

Flannery gets a (y) in my book. He's no River Phoenix, but he did well. I would watch him as Indy again for a tv incarnation.

tambourineman

He was great, just wish they didnt give him that silly hairdo.

I'd love to see him return in another Indy series, a sequel to the Young Indy series. He's just the right age now to play Indy during WW2.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
bump. I think Flannery played a great Indy.
What will your opinion be in a few months from now? 6 months ago you were singing a different song in the thread: The Young Indy Chronicles were really really bad...
Raiders112390 said:
I guess my major problem is SPF. I just think he came off as TOO soft and goofy for Indy, and of course, his voice isn't deep enough, and he doesn't really resemble Harrison all that much. I could see him being goofy in 1916, but not in 1919 or 1920 after years of war. I can't explain it, but there's that rogue-ish, devil may care, bad*ss attitude missing.
SPF's Indy isn't really a ''bad boy'', but more of a goody two shoes.
I just wish I guess a different actor had portrayed Indy instead of SPF
Just so you know, his name is spelled, "Flanery" with only one "n".;)

Raiders90

I addressed my fluctuating opinions on the YIJC, then, SIX MONTHS AGO, in that same thread:

"My feelings are ambivalent on the Chronicles I guess. My opinion changes day to day on them--some days I love them, other days I see them as flawed. They are canon, I just wish I guess a different actor had portrayed Indy instead of SPF--All of the other issues would be just minor ones then, because the series DOES have a lot of adventure and action."

"Like I said, some days I absolutely love them, others not so much. I'm kind of bi polar when it comes to them.
I think no new Indy stuff is making me a bit crazy lol.
But yeah, I love them generally, I just know they're not perfect. But then IMO nothing in the Indy series is 100% perfect outside of Raiders."

My feelings were born at the time out of a feeling of conflict--I felt like EITHER the YIJC were the 'true' backstory of Indy, or the Bantam novels ere. And it was frustrating cause I love both. But I've come to appreciate that they both (IMO) are equally canon, they are the same story. Yeah, there's some small inconsistencies but every fictional universe has them.

So the way I look at it now is the YIJC shows us the Jones of 1908 to 1920, and the Bantam books show us how he got to be the guy we meet up with in TOD. All part of the same story, all canon.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
I addressed my fluctuating opinions on the YIJC, then, SIX MONTHS AGO, in that same thread:
The quotes you've provided certainly address your "fluctuating opinions" on The-Chronicles-as-a-whole but not your opinion of Flanery. Your negative remarks about Flanery-as-Indy were solidly stated 6 months ago. Now...your thoughts on his portrayal seem to have changed. What will you think this coming October 2011?:confused:

As I said in another thread, it's difficult to know where you're coming from, on any given day...

Stoo said:
The quotes you've provided certainly address your "fluctuating opinions" on The-Chronicles-as-a-whole...it's difficult to know where you're coming from, on any given day.

What's puzzling to me is bumping SO MANY threads at once. I understand posting in hope of starting a conversation, but the objective in jump starting the sheer volume of threads, (retreads) is lost on me.:confused:

...and this coming from some one who posts a LOT

I think Flanery did a fine job, there are little things he did which were great and some not so good...

INCUBUSRATM

Something I've Noticed...

Here I am watching the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles for the first time. I'm on episode Demons of Deception. And there's something I've noticed... Shouldn't Sean Patrick Flannery have a scar on his chin? I just noticed it and it's now bothering the crap out of me, haha. This bother anyone else?

Henry W Jones

INCUBUSRATM said:
Here I am watching the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles for the first time. I'm on episode Demons of Deception. And there's something I've noticed... Shouldn't Sean Patrick Flannery have a scar on his chin? I just noticed it and it's now bothering the crap out of me, haha. This bother anyone else?

Yeah he should. Also Flannery has a big mole on his neck that Ford does not which also bugs me. And even worse Flannery doesn't capture the essence of the character I'm my opinion. He ruins the show for me along with the fact that he meets every figure in history during that time period. (Something I think they took a tad too far, it becomes less believable every episode with the amount they did it )

INCUBUSRATM

Henry W Jones said:
Yeah he should. Also Flannery has a big mole on his neck that Ford does not which also bugs me. And even worse Flannery doesn't capture the essence of the character I'm my opinion. He ruins the show for me along with the fact that he meets every figure in history during that time period. (Something I think they took a tad too far, it becomes less believable every episode with the amount they did it )

He suits me well enough for portraying a much younger Indiana Jones. I just wish he had the scar on his chin.

As for him meeting all of the history characters, that was kinda the whole point of the show... I really like it, actually. Is it believable? No, not quite. But really, it doesn't have to be. I think it works. For me, anyway.

Henry W Jones

INCUBUSRATM said:
He suits me well enough for portraying a much younger Indiana Jones. I just wish he had the scar on his chin.

As for him meeting all of the history characters, that was kinda the whole point of the show... I really like it, actually. Is it believable? No, not quite. But really, it doesn't have to be. I think it works. For me, anyway.

I don't hate the show I just would have done it differently. And I'm cool with him meeting historical figures I just think I was excessively done. And Flannery just doesn't feel like Indy. Glad you are enjoying it. It is a decent show overall. It's just not my favorite chapter of Indy lore due to the reasons I mentioned. :)

Stoo

INCUBUSRATM said:
I just wish he had the scar on his chin.
He DOES have the scar. It can easily be seen in close-up shots. (And yes, it's in both episodes of "Demons of Deception"). I guess you missed the part when Indy picks up the whip in Mexico. Just before he uses it, he puts his hand to his chin where the scar is.

There are many threads about Flanery's portrayal and the fact that Indy meets so many historical figures but this one would make a good merger: Flanery as Indy

Henry W Jones said:
Also Flannery has a big mole on his neck that Ford does not which also bugs me.
Then this is thread for you: Is the Mole on Indy's neck Canon????:p Flanery's mole doesn't bother me at all. It's really quite a petty detail.