Volume One

Alexandria

metalinvader said:
George Hall,The man who played old Indy,Sure did have an accent (He was born in Canada btw).I kind of liked his accent,It had that wise old man charm to it.

The Prauge episode is actually one of my favorites.Very different then the rest of the episodes.I love the end gag where Indy's next mission is to set up a new phone in Germany.
Haha! That one was So trippy, and fustrating. It reminded me of dealing with any federal government building. haha!:D my sister, and I were watching it, moaning with every new thing they wanted him to do. I kept thinking "he's going to wake up, this BETTER be a dream!". But lo, and behold it wasn't.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I just found out when Vol 1 is coming to Australia! Feb 14th. That's right. I'm skipping uni and all those girls showing off about Valentine presents, buying the DVD set and staying home! :p And Vol 2 is out in March! Yippee! And they're only 100 bucks each. Cheaper than the US.

metalinvader

Violet Indy said:
I just found out when Vol 1 is coming to Australia! Feb 14th. That's right. I'm skipping uni and all those girls showing off about Valentine presents, buying the DVD set and staying home! :p And Vol 2 is out in March! Yippee! And they're only 100 bucks each. Cheaper than the US.

Cheaper? 70 bucks here..:p Well,I have no idea what the conversion rate is so who knows...

Last edited:

Matinee Idyll

Violet Indy said:

Lovely! The day after my birthday... Thanks for the news VI :)

stranger

Hello. As you know George Lucas provided the story for 17 "hours" (out of 44) of the show, the entire first season. When the chapters were broadcast he had a story credit for 13 of them, but not for "british east africa" and "paris" in Passion for life, for "london" in Love's sweet song, and for "barcelona" in Espionage escapades. Could you tell me if now he has a story credit for these 4 episodes in the DVDs? Thank you.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I just plowed through 5 discs of Corey Carrier, which I had never seen. So, Indiana was a female dog, and Indy speaks of a sister named Susie who died young?! News to me.

It has its moments. Carrier's age fluctuations aren't a problem, and he acts rings around the Phantom Menace kid (no great feat). But unless he's wandering off making mischief, it's dullsville. The Puccini half in Florence where he's sidelined is dreadful and predictable. They didn't even bother to weave operatic themes into the plot: no 'tainment, no edu-. The set decorators are the stars here in this obligatory look at pre-war Europe and beyond.

Michael24

I finally picked up Volume 1 last Sunday and finished watching it last night. I love this show. I did watch it when it was originally on, but haven't not seen it since. Never had any recordings on video or the previous VHS releases, and never saw any of the later reedited versions done in the mid-90s, so this was almost like watching a brand new show for me.

It is kind of annoying that the plot suddenly wraps up and changes to a new story about halfway through, but once you get pass that slight awkwardness, it's not too bad. I enjoyed all of the episodes and was pleasantly surprised to find it even better than I remembered it being. The loss of the Old Indy bookends and other bits and pieces don't really bother me since I'm not exactly used to the original episodes, though I do wish Lucas had just approached this like any other regular series with individual 40-something minute episodes that play out in a usual fashion. From what I understand, episodes originally jumped around in continuity from one week to the next, so it's no wonder the show had the audience reception it did. And I still wish there had been some bonus features related to the show itself, like commentaries, cast/crew interviews, "making of" documentary.

But either way, I'm very impressed with this show. I finished off Volume 1 much sooner than I thought I would, so now I'm anxious to get the next two and work my way through those episodes. Looking forward to it. :)

Oh yeah, I love Lloyd Owen as Henry Sr. I was wondering if he'd been cast because of his voice or if he had purposely studied Connery in order to do a "younger" impression. But he nailed it perfectly, and at times sounds exactly like Connery, especially those "Junior!" moments. I just wish he was in more episodes.

phantom train

Quote:

"I finally picked up Volume 1 last Sunday and finished watching it last night. I love this show. I did watch it when it was originally on, but haven't not seen it since. Never had any recordings on video or the previous VHS releases, and never saw any of the later reedited versions done in the mid-90s, so this was almost like watching a brand new show for me.

It is kind of annoying that the plot suddenly wraps up and changes to a new story about halfway through, but once you get pass that slight awkwardness, it's not too bad. I enjoyed all of the episodes and was pleasantly surprised to find it even better than I remembered it being. The loss of the Old Indy bookends and other bits and pieces don't really bother me since I'm not exactly used to the original episodes, though I do wish Lucas had just approached this like any other regular series with individual 40-something minute episodes that play out in a usual fashion. From what I understand, episodes originally jumped around in continuity from one week to the next, so it's no wonder the show had the audience reception it did. And I still wish there had been some bonus features related to the show itself, like commentaries, cast/crew interviews, "making of" documentary.

But either way, I'm very impressed with this show. I finished off Volume 1 much sooner than I thought I would, so now I'm anxious to get the next two and work my way through those episodes. Looking forward to it.

Oh yeah, I love Lloyd Owen as Henry Sr. I was wondering if he'd been cast because of his voice or if he had purposely studied Connery in order to do a "younger" impression. But he nailed it perfectly, and at times sounds exactly like Connery, especially those "Junior!" moments. I just wish he was in more episodes."

I agree, Volume 1 of the YIJC is excellent. It's probably my least favorite of all three volumes, but it's still great. I appreciated it a lot more after watching it last October than I did when I first saw the episodes back in the '90's.

Corey Carrier as the small IJ may be insignificant to some, but in many of these shows you see hints of who the IJ character will become later. However, these episodes are great in their own right as well.

Some of my favorites from the Volume 1 Correy Carrier episodes include: Peking 1910, British East Africa 1909, Benares 1910, France 1909? (with Picasso), "Travels with Father", Vienna 1909? (with Princess Sopie), and most of the others.
The episode where Carrier is obviously older (because it was filmed much later) is somewhat off-putting, but I do understand the reasons behind this.

Also, it's very significant that in these episodes you see the good relationship he had with his mother, making the later SPF episodes where he talks about her very poignant.

Also great in Volume 1 were the first four SPF episodes, "Princeton 1916, Mexico 1916, Ireland 1916, and London 1916". London is probably one of the best episodes in the series.

Michael24

phantom train said:
I agree, Volume 1 of the YIJC is excellent. It's probably my least favorite of all three volumes, but it's still great. I appreciated it a lot more after watching it last October than I did when I first saw the episodes back in the '90's.

Yeah, I feel the same way. While I remember watching the series back in the early-90s, I think I remember being a little disappointed that it wasn't just all adventure and treasure seeking like the movies, so I probably enjoy it much more nowadays than I did back then.

phantom train said:
Corey Carrier as the small IJ may be insignificant to some, but in many of these shows you see hints of who the IJ character will become later. However, these episodes are great in their own right as well.

I loved little Indy! I thought Corey Carrier did a great job, and I wish there had been more episodes with him. The noticable age difference from Egypt to Tangiers was a little jarring, but not too bad.

I loved some of his antics, too, like telling about how they make mummies during dinner and forcing everybody out of the room, when he's playing with the baseball in the train car and wakes everyone up when he loses control of it and breaks things, or the chaos he causes during the party at the beginning of "Russia 1910." Haha!!

phantom train said:
Some of my favorites from the Volume 1 Correy Carrier episodes include: Peking 1910, British East Africa 1909, Benares 1910, France 1909? (with Picasso), "Travels with Father", Vienna 1909? (with Princess Sopie), and most of the others.

I loved "Travels with Father." I don't recall those episodes from the original run, but I think that was my favorite of the Carrier bunch. I wish there had been more father-son episodes like that. I like how both of them were worried about having to be together when Anna was going to leave for a few days.

phantom train

"Quote:

I loved some of his antics, too, like telling about how they make mummies during dinner and forcing everybody out of the room, when he's playing with the baseball in the train car and wakes everyone up when he loses control of it and breaks things, or the chaos he causes during the party at the beginning of "Russia 1910." Haha!!"

Those were great scenes. His mischievousness reminds me of a couple of cousins I have - they're older now, but when they were younger they would be disruptive like that.

Also very funny was the scene when he got the better of the would-be horse thief in the China 1910 episode, and laughed about it - hilarious.

tupogirl

Those were great scenes. His mischievousness reminds me of a couple of cousins I have - they're older now, but when they were younger they would be disruptive like that.

Also very funny was the scene when he got the better of the would-be horse thief in the China 1910 episode, and laughed about it - hilarious.

There is a scene in the very first episode, when he hits the baseball through the window, and he gets a look *exactly* like my 5 year old. I could totally see my kids doing the stuff he did if we didn't have video games. Even then, they still get into plenty of misadventures!

vf wing

A big thumbs (y) to Travels With Father! I really enjoyed the portrayal of Tolstoy. Having watched his documentary beforehand made me think that when Indy encountered him that it might have been his final walk, but that would have made for a depressing way to wrap the episode. I loved Indy's comeuppance at the end when he offered to introduce a flabbergasted Henry!

EddyW

We got a release of the first volume here in the Netherlands as well. Picked it up and sat down with a friend to watch the first episode, "My First Adventure". Maybe I was expecting too much, but I thought it was pretty boring. Indy unravels a "complicated" murder mystery but halfway the movie it's all suddenly done, he makes friends with slave and the other half of the film they are kidnapped by slave traders. And Lawrence of Arabia coincidentally happened to be in the neighbourhood, riding his bike through the desert. "Mister Lawrence!"... I don't mean to sound sour, but is the whole season like this? I remember watching an episode or two when I was young, where Indy was in his twenties and I think I liked it back then. Maybe this is just not for me, but are there any episodes in the first set that are better then the first one?

Nick

Tat little story line stopped bacause it are episodes editted together into movies, the stories continues with older Indy, which you can see in Spring Break Adventure.
But I like the teenage Indy episodes better as well, there are 2 of them in the first set, though Travels With father, with little Indy, is pretty good as well.

But I'm looking forward the Volume 2: The War Years, might be the bet set of the 3, Indy in the trenches :)

Don#t judge it by My first Adventure, Please, its the worst episode of the entire series in how its currently presented. Persist!! You won't regret it. I can't watch that episode anymore, yet I think its the best series in the world, so... PERSIST!!

phantom train

EddyW said:
We got a release of the first volume here in the Netherlands as well. Picked it up and sat down with a friend to watch the first episode, "My First Adventure". Maybe I was expecting too much, but I thought it was pretty boring. Indy unravels a "complicated" murder mystery but halfway the movie it's all suddenly done, he makes friends with slave and the other half of the film they are kidnapped by slave traders. And Lawrence of Arabia coincidentally happened to be in the neighbourhood, riding his bike through the desert. "Mister Lawrence!"... I don't mean to sound sour, but is the whole season like this? I remember watching an episode or two when I was young, where Indy was in his twenties and I think I liked it back then. Maybe this is just not for me, but are there any episodes in the first set that are better then the first one?

Though I am generally not a fan of the old Indy (George Hall) bookends, I will admit that the original presentation of the "Egypt 1908 and "Mexico 1916" adventure (with the bookends) is the best - this was broadcast as "Curse of the Jackal" back in 1992 on U.S. TV, as the first episode of the series.
One of the reasons this worked so well is that the Old Indy segments in COTJ really served to link both episodes, something that was definitely lost completely when "Egypt 1908" was modified as "My First Adventure" - this was exacerabated by the fact that the second half of MFA featured an obviously older C. Carrier, which didn't help the continuity issue much...

indy dave

I agree. The first one was probably the strangest of them all with how it was edited together. We just finished Volume 2 and have really been enjoying them.

Jeremiah Jones said:
Don#t judge it by My first Adventure, Please, its the worst episode of the entire series in how its currently presented. Persist!! You won't regret it. I can't watch that episode anymore, yet I think its the best series in the world, so... PERSIST!!

vf wing

I blew thru those first ones so quickly that I missed a lot of details. Now I'm taking my time to soak up more nuances and watching each a couple of times over. But I distinctly remember that first ep having a lot going for it. I really enjoyed the opening sequence with baby Indy and Cory's voiceover.

I'm very guilty of watching stuff on TV with half the attention it deserves, mainly because I'm usually doing something while it's on and I drift in and out of the room. Also because it gives everything I watch immense replay value, as I'm always catching things on the next go-round.

For instance, in Travels with Father, Tolstoy and Indy apparently introduce themselves off-camera. Indy refers to him several times as Lev, which I didn't get. This caused me to look up Leo online where I discovered Lev was his given name. I kept going back and looking for a scene where they revealed their names, but it's just not there. I thought that was an interesting creative choice, since that would be a common type of scene (indeed, even within the scope of the show itself).

My guess is this is one of the edits that cause long-term fans the most problems, since I don't remember the two episodes being strongly connected and Cory is noticeably older in the 2nd ep. But if this was the one with the African music, then I am gonna be extremely biased toward it anyway.

On my end, I thought it was a bit of a stretch to have Lawrence in Arabia years before the war started, although I understand them taking some liberties with the general era. This one in particular stand out to me as too much since they do cover the war years later, as I understand.

I'm just now getting ready to watch my first ep with a teenage Indy!

EddyW

Alright guys, thanks, I'm going to give it another chance then, see if it will grow on me a bit.