How old r YOU?

Kate

It's a scary time- I'm decding what I want to do in life, where I want to go, things I want to do. There is so much out there, Strider! You'll be amazed!

philhos

Renderking Fisk said:
Intergamer
Somone acts like an ignoramus: I?m going to treat that someone like one until they prove to be that they deserve to be treated otherwise. I can only make a conclusion based on how you behave here? I have no magic ability to witness how intelligent you are out side this forum.

When you use ?Cyber-Shorthand?, you?re advertising to the world that you don?t give a crap what people think about you. You don?t care that people skip over your posts because you can?t take the time to write in a comprehensive or legible manor.

You post something like ?sux 2 b some1 dat cant take movin da cheez roflmao lol!! :p?, you?re not someone who belongs to a political party, trilingual, or someone who?s ?made a lot of money knowing history?? you?re a retard punk trying to act tough by ?Talkin? Street?. You betray yourself and sell yourself short.

As far as how my earlier statement applies to you? it just might at that. I?m deeply concerned about how ?Kids your age? behave and how indignant they are about how ingorant they are. ?I ain?t needed to know ?bout nothin long as I be savy on da? street.?

As I?ve written before here in in my rants on Aaron?s website, the education system has been progressivly undermining the childeren they?re supposed to prepair for the future as the politicians have been selling us out to the special intrests.

Not enough kids know about civics, how the government is run or what they?re rights are. They?ve been so betrayed by the educations system, they don?t even know enough to know there is more they should know. Perfect example- The Second Amendment.

I agree completely, Ren. How many people do you know can use a semicolon properly?

Remember when Clinton wanted to make the education system based on how a student felt? I feel I passed, so I passed.

Remember Ebonics? Instead of learning how to speak English correctly, we'll make incorrect English an official language! (Maybe they thought, minorities couldn't learn proper English, who knows)

The worst thing that's happening to our educational system is the beaurocracy. Liberals want to just throw more money at the problem, like that'll help. I'm all for vouchers and competition amongst schools, but we need to minimize the administration and focus more on the actual education of the students.

BTW, I'm 28, married with a 3-year-old daughter. I can't wait 'til she starts school, because I'm itching to fight with the schools to make sure they teach her right!

Finn

Staff member
Guys, I understand that you're worried, but as it is with that discussion about firearm laws, you're again making the problem of America seem as a Global problem.

Again, I'm maybe using too minor a group as an example, but around here, the quality of teaching <i>and</i> learning is remarkably good.

I agree, knowledge is good (and I know that the amount of stuff they teach to kids in American school is rather narrow compared to some other countries), but it's also good to know <i>how</i> to use that knowledge and even how to question it in some cases.

Even street-wise people can be intelligent. They may not top the tables in the amount of knowledge, but can be respectably high when it comes to processing that knowledge they have. I'm again referring to one of my favorite pet peeves, but religious beliefs in people's minds are strong because of this. They believe in something, because they've been <i>taught</i> to believe in something when they've been too young to process and question those things they've been told as facts.

And I'm still (2 +) OR 20 OR (- 2) years old.

westford

I'm 10 years younger than Canyon, and have been able to punctuate sentences correctly since I was at primary school.

monkey

Is this developing into a...........miscellaneous table??

If so, I think that's great. It's very apparent that discussions like this are fun and interesting. I hope it continues.

My opinion on Education, street language, etc.?

Young people don't read enough books. That's it. simple. But it is apparent from a lot of the young peoples' posts on this forum that there are still some that do.

My age? I am more than three thousand years old, and was a contemporary of the Pharaoh Ramses the Great.

Canyon

monkey said:
My age? I am more than three thousand years old, and was a contemporary of the Pharaoh Ramses the Great.

Aw, c'mon Monkey.

That's not fair. :mad:

We told you our ages, well most of us did. :D

Pale Horse

Staff member
They do not ask for age on an employement application, therefore I will not post one here. Too often age is used to determine (or rather judge) a persons experience is any given arena. If this is too vauge for some of you, you can research my age here.

Lon

I'm 34.

Geez some of you should lighten up with the cyber-shorthand lectures. Indygirl is in junior high for crying out loud. You don't know that she doesn't make good grades in English. I don't mind cyber-shorthand on messages boards or instant messengers just as long as that is where it stays. If I see it on resumes, letters, homework, etc. THEN I would say something.

Finn

Staff member
Aw, c'mon, Canyon... monkey isn't going to reveal his age 'cos he's already did it earlier on this table... (he's somewhere around 35-40 currently). Consult Mr. Earch, he helps! ;)

Joe Brody

It was a mess of good years

Wow. This has taken off. I'm 35 too. Yeah, there's a pretty good range here, and they are good years for all . . . heh, I think there's a sappy Sinatra song that's marginally on point here (and yes, it predate even us old-timers -- except for guys like Mr. Fisk who are sticking with the Golden Age):

When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
We?d hide from the lights
On the village green
When I was seventeen

When I was twenty-one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stair
With all that perfumed hair