Reports of Lines Forming

Indie House said:
Alejandro Jodorowski is often referred to as The Godfather Of The Midnight Movie and was probably the first to employ this idea with the release of El Topo in 1970.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=13908275

His stuff certainly isn't of the 'blockbuster' variety though...

:hat:

Jodorowsky*

I've had the good fortune to see both El Topo and Holy Mountain screened in the cinema. Though at a 9pm showing...

Better than nothing.

PenitentMan

Legendary Times said:
Midnight screening of Indy 4?

Heck yeah!

Anyone living in San Diego County should join us in Vista here:

http://ufos.meetup.com/201/calendar/7713970/

See you there!

Giorgio Tsoukalos

Thank YOU, Giorgio! I was looking for someone to go with, but everyone I know has work and isn't willing to be tired for it...because they're not hardcore. If I can find nothing going on in Orange County, count me in. Have they begun selling tickets for this even yet? And, could I ask you to Private Message me any information you might have on this event? :hat:

Crack that whip

I fully intend to, but I still don't know which town I'll see it in. Though come to think of it, I should see the first showing here in Tallahassee, since I know no one in the town I'm going to the next day would be able to see it at midnight Wednesday anyway...

Legendary Times

PenitentMan said:

Thank YOU, Giorgio! I was looking for someone to go with, but everyone I know has work and isn't willing to be tired for it...because they're not hardcore. If I can find nothing going on in Orange County, count me in. Have they begun selling tickets for this even yet? And, could I ask you to Private Message me any information you might have on this event? :hat:

Hey no problem. We've reserved a dozen tickets for the midnight showing, so simply sign up at the Chariots of the Gods Meetup page (it's free), RSVP and you're on the list AND guaranteed a ticket. You'll pay for the ticket when you get there. Easy.

James

I'm still trying to decide which showing to go to. Last Crusade on opening night was the single greatest filmgoing experience I've ever had. The crowd's energy was amazing, and there was constant cheering and laughter throughout. However, this was not a midnight screening and featured a wide demographic of audience members (not just hardcore fans or young fanboys).

I just keeping thinking about my horrible experience of watching Episode I- which was ruined by the constant fanboy groaning throughout. They knew in advance what was coming in the film and managed to make a bad time at the movies even worse. After the thunderous applause for the opening titles, the energy was just sucked completely out of the room. (By comparison, a friend who waited for the general audience said his crowd "loved it".)

I realize Phantom Menace is a "worst case scenario" here, but you get the idea.

Crack that whip

James said:
I'm still trying to decide which showing to go to. Last Crusade on opening night was the single greatest filmgoing experience I've ever had. The crowd's energy was amazing, and there was constant cheering and laughter throughout. However, this was not a midnight screening and featured a wide demographic of audience members (not just hardcore fans or young fanboys).

I just keeping thinking about my horrible experience of watching Episode I- which was ruined by the constant fanboy groaning throughout. They knew in advance what was coming in the film and managed to make a bad time at the movies even worse. After the thunderous applause for the opening titles, the energy was just sucked completely out of the room. (By comparison, a friend who waited for the general audience said his crowd "loved it".)

That experience mirrors my own. When I saw Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace on its opening day in 1999 (at multiple showings - hey, I'd bought the tickets in advance), it was a somewhat somber affair, with the audience of the faithful fairly quiet and seemingly unengaged, as though assessing what I'm sure many of them felt as a huge disappointment. When I went to showings a few months later, with general audiences, they were actually much more receptive and appreciative, and it actually made for a much more enjoyable experience for this fan.

(OTOH, Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones got a great audience response at the opening showing I attended, so who knows...)

acsgrlie

I fully plan on going to a midnight screening if I can find somebody to go with me. I also plan on seeing it later that day with more sane friends with regular sleeping hours and then another time with the parents.

blueseattle

Crack that whip said:
I fully intend to, but I still don't know which town I'll see it in. Though come to think of it, I should see the first showing here in Tallahassee, since I know no one in the town I'm going to the next day would be able to see it at midnight Wednesday anyway...

Haha. I just left there last year. I was at FSU. The midnight screenings are great there because there's nothing else to do in that town, so everyone is there. I remember seeing Superman Returns, Die Hard 4, Spider-man 3, etc... all of them were a blast.

drwynn

I've got two friends flying into LA from Indianapolis on the 21st...they'll be attending a midnight screening with my wife and me that night. Then, we're going again at 10:30am the next morning after an IHOP breakfast.

indifan101

I know they are having midnight showings in columbus, THANK GOD sucks because I have graduation practice the next day

PenitentMan

James said:

Ooo! I forgot about fanboy groaning and your comment has me a bit worried over it. Though, I think the one thing that Indy fans have in higher ammounts than your average Star Wars is a strong leaning towards heroe worswhip. Not to shanghai this topic, but Star Wars has so many elements woven into it as part of a main story, Indiana Jones is a bit more simple. So, maybe our admiration for Dr. Jones as a character will keep the negative critique to a minimum at least while undergoing the theatre experience. That's what I'm prayin' for, at least.

I hope that however you decide to see this film, it doesn't let you down, James.

gallandro

Indy is going to make insane money at these midnight screenings... The Cine Capri at the Scottsdale 101 is sold out (seats about 600).

Yancy

snake_surprise

Just wanted to extend a high five and pat on the back to all fellow Indy fans who never thought we would see THE Hero on screen again.

Let's keep Indy mania going here on this awesome site and just enjoy the moment, and this summer season with Indy back on the big screen.

The wait is basically over...the midnight hour approaches.

Congrats!

:whip:

triklops

YEAAAHH !!

It's kinda unfair that AMericans have to wait for an American film made by Americans longer than us Europeans :) :)
But hey....do I complain ??NOOOOO :whip:
Just wanted to make you a little jealous....gonna watch it in about two hours....

I wish you all the best possible experience !!!!!!!!! (y)

BuiltFordTough

Happy Indy 4 Day!

It kinda feels like Christmas today (at least for me) after a lengthy and great build-up for this ridiculously awesome event. I'm almost a little sad to see it come because I was enjoying all the pre-Indy stuff so much.

So how are you celebrating the most anticipated film of the decade?

I've been watching each of the Indy movies over the past couple of days...and today I'll watch Last Crusade. Started my morning with some Indy Pop Tarts, and plan on grabbing an Indy Burger for lunch. And of course...the fedora stays on my head until movie time. Too much? I think not. :whip: