Votes: 35 23.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Attila the Professor

Staff member
UltimateManGod said:
I really saw the marriage to Marion as final closure for Indy over Deirdre, considering she died weeks after they married. Marion was even the next girl he romanced. It comes full circle and he achieves, hopefully, some lasting happiness.

Really? Where's that notion come from, of Marion coming right after Deidre?

At any rate, as I've articulated to some extent elsewhere, I wasn't terribly fond of the wedding because I don't feel any groundwork was lain for it within the film itself. Last Crusade set a pretty high standard (indeed, one first established by Raiders) of having some pretty great moments of quiet and dialogue in the midst of the adventure that this film just didn't make time for. A bit of bickering doesn't establish a reconciliation that, to my way of thinking, wasn't justified with what we were shown. If you're going to bring Marion back, sell it. This film didn't.

Sankara

Well, the marriage... the whole movie is very-very embarrassing... so I don't think that Indy is getting married and this "he has a son"-BS.

"Last Crusade" was the best ending and it IS still the best ending. People who really knows and loved the Indy-Movies can't accept this "wanna-be-Indy-Movie" :sick:

"Crusade" is still the end! (y)

Peacock's-Eye

Attila the Professor said:
Really? Where's that notion come from, of Marion coming right after Deidre?

At any rate, as I've articulated to some extent elsewhere, I wasn't terribly fond of the wedding because I don't feel any groundwork was lain for it within the film itself. Last Crusade set a pretty high standard (indeed, one first established by Raiders) of having some pretty great moments of quiet and dialogue in the midst of the adventure that this film just didn't make time for. A bit of bickering doesn't establish a reconciliation that, to my way of thinking, wasn't justified with what we were shown. If you're going to bring Marion back, sell it. This film didn't.
Hm, I think the film handled it perfectly in "Indy" style. There's no way you can handle all the elements of their relationship in a 2 hour popcorn adventure movie. I mean, he seduced her as a teenager, traumatized her, and left her pregnant at the altar! I think Koepp did the right thing - he simplified the issues: Marion is chasing after Indy, has been her whole life. All she wants is for him to stop running, and step up to plate to be the man she knows he is inside. When he finally does, she accepts him wholeheartedly. KA did a great job of communicating that Marion still has a schoolgirl crush on Indy - I mean, why else would she put up with him all those years? I think that worked better than going into some melodramatic stuff about their relationship, IMO.

IAdventurer01

Sankara said:
Well, the marriage... the whole movie is very-very embarrassing... so I don't think that Indy is getting married and this "he has a son"-BS.

"Last Crusade" was the best ending and it IS still the best ending. People who really knows and loved the Indy-Movies can't accept this "wanna-be-Indy-Movie" :sick:

As much as I like this KotCS, I agree the ending to LC was basically the perfect ending.

As for the wedding - Marion is the right one and I have no problem with Indy getting married, but agree the wedding itself could have been executed better.

Frankly, I would have preferred a here we go again ending in conjuction with the wedding, something a bit more substantial that the hat to say - married, yes. Settled down - no. :whip:

Raiders90

FishbowlHead23 said:
I wasn?t fond of it whatsoever. Indiana Jones was established as Spielberg?s James Bond. Anyone steeped in Indy lore (I?d assume most of you) should know that one of the rules created for the character was that he?d always have a different girl. He?d never settle down and always be a notorious Bond-like ladies man. I cannot deny that Marion would probably be the one?but that?s entirely besides the point. I cannot help but be annoyed when they decided to come along decades later and forget about (if not downright ignore) those old guidelines and rules. It gets to a point when they?ve changed so much that they?ve completely forgotten and destroyed what was attractive about the character to begin with. Riding off into the sunset was an Indy-esque ending to arguably the greatest action/adventure series ever made. Marriage?no so much. I don?t think anyone can debate that.

Bond got married.

Mothy

Sankara said:

Precisely. That is my logic as well.

eshine

Mothy said:
Precisely. That is my logic as well.
hmmm - I have a question then?

Why on earth do you guys still post endlessly about a movie you dismiss as being so bad it doesn't exhist?

It makes no sense to me.

eshine

Sankara said:

People who knows and loved the Indy movies?

So, even though I have seen them hundreds of times, I don't "knows" and love them like you do?

Your hatred and dissapointment of Indy 4 doesn't make you any more of a fan then I am, sorry.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
eshine said:
Why would anyone want Indiana Jones to die alone?

Because he's a fictional character and drama sometimes - nay, often - demands unpleasant ends, or at least ends that aren't quite as tidy.

The complaint isn't even necessarily about the marriage, (that I've not quite bought into Marion's charm is inconsequential - I'd feel much the same way if it were, say, Sophia Hapgood), but about the way it was handled. See more below...

Peacock's-Eye said:
Hm, I think the film handled it perfectly in "Indy" style. There's no way you can handle all the elements of their relationship in a 2 hour popcorn adventure movie. I mean, he seduced her as a teenager, traumatized her, and left her pregnant at the altar! I think Koepp did the right thing - he simplified the issues: Marion is chasing after Indy, has been her whole life. All she wants is for him to stop running, and step up to plate to be the man she knows he is inside. When he finally does, she accepts him wholeheartedly. KA did a great job of communicating that Marion still has a schoolgirl crush on Indy - I mean, why else would she put up with him all those years? I think that worked better than going into some melodramatic stuff about their relationship, IMO.

My point is that there's no real way of jiggering the Indy style such that it becomes one where you throw away moments of real tension and character insight. Look at the conversation between Belloq and Indy in the bar in Cairo, look at all the serious conversations between the two Joneses in Last Crusade, even look at the moment with Indy and Short Round exchanging hats. Most of all, of course, look back to the scene in Raiders where we first see Indy and Marion interact. Far be it from me to critique an actor's interpretation of a role they originated, but I can't help but feel it's a whitewash for Karen Allen to say, as she said to Shia, that she was only a heavy drinker back in the day because the circumstances demanded it. There used to be a lot more loss in these films, and while this film edged towards it on occasion ("there were a lot of Marys, kid" was a <I>great</I> line), a bit of bickering does not make up for the resentment that you'd pretty darned well expect to be present. Off-screen character growth, yes, but it just strikes me as a lost opportunity, especially when the precedent allows for more.

Mothy

eshine said:
hmmm - I have a question then?

Why on earth do you guys still post endlessly about a movie you dismiss as being so bad it doesn't exhist?

It makes no sense to me.

Because we are trying to open your eyes to the fact.

Rococo

Mothy said:

If enjoying the new film is a bad thing, then I'm happy to be considered ignorant and low brow. So be it.

Mothy

Rococo said:
If enjoying the new film is a bad thing, then I'm happy to be considered ignorant and low brow. So be it.
The film is just not anywhere near the original three films. I just can not enjoy a film that rapes the memory of Indiana Jones and leaves the series in terrible shape. This is the lasting impression of the series, and the overall consensus is that is sucks. I am of that view, you are in the minority.

graz

Mothy said:
The film is just not anywhere near the original three films. I just can not enjoy a film that rapes the memory of Indiana Jones and leaves the series in terrible shape. This is the lasting impression of the series, and the overall consensus is that is sucks. I am of that view, you are in the minority.

Being a confident person, being in the 'minority' (although where your statistical evidence is to support this, I don't know) who like this film doesn't bother me. You can hate it Mothy, without stating to us poor ignorant people that it is rubbish and we should all bow to your greater knowledge.

If you think all this is THAT important though, I do think you should get out more...:D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Mothy said:

While I wasn't a huge fan of the film, I think it's fairly obvious that claims of fact and the ability to judge the overall consensus will neither help your argument nor endear you to anyone. Something to think about.

eshine

Mothy said:
I just realized that you are probably about 12, maybe 13 years old.

As Indy says in Skull, you don't have to prove your tough every time you get sore, kid.

Still, I am embarressed that I have spent more than 30 seconds debating you.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
eshine said:
I just realized that you are probably about 12, maybe 13 years old.

As Indy says in Skull, you don't have to prove your tough every time you get sore, kid.

Still, I am embarressed that I have spent more than 30 seconds debating you.

Do you know any 12 or 13 year olds who would spend time here and are as well-spoken and mindful of grammar as Mothy? Nothing makes it your turn to be disingenuous, pop-psychoanalytical, or insulting. Bear that in mind.

eshine

Attila the Professor said:
Do you know any 12 or 13 year olds who would spend time here and are as well-spoken and mindful of grammar as Mothy? Nothing makes it your turn to be disingenuous, pop-psychoanalytical, or insulting. Bear that in mind.
All due respect - "Attilla", but Mothy is essentially trolling.

He flat out told me in another thread that I am unqualified to judge a good movie if I so much as enjoyed Krystal Skull.

I have seen him berate other people and harshly ridicule them for offering a different opinion or speaking of the film in a positive manner.

And frankly - we have heard his opinion on countless occassions. Jumping on every single thread and pouncing on anyone who offers a postive view of this film is disingenuous, pop-psychoanalytical, and insulting, no matter how mindful of grammer and "well spoken".

Bear that in mind.