Tomb of the Gods TPB

DIrishB

I pre-ordered it through Amazon months ago, and it arrived earlier this week. I love the fact I got it for only a bit more than $10. :)

Also really enjoyed the story, despite everyone else seeming to hate it.

michael

I just called my local comic shop, they have 1 copy, it's on reserve, will have it soon! (y)

emtiem

Finally (!) finished this one after getting the paperback- it's pretty much the only Indy spinoff I've seen to get the tone and wit in the right area. It feels like Indy; and importantly they've actually drawn Indy right! Apart from the great likenesses, the physicality is notably Ford-like and they've managed to get the way his jacket hangs right, and -crucially- it's the only Indy comic strip I've seen where they've realised that his trousers (pants, if you prefer!) are very baggy and in the 30's style! If you don't get them right, you don't get Indy!

The story does fall apart a bit at the end, and is probably a bit too rushed too. A shame to change artists; up until then they had the feel of a movie. The last artist is far from bad but just not up to the scratch of the other parts.
And is it me, or is the Tomb that of Cthulu? :) Wasn't expecting that!

Lance Quazar

Since we're in a new thread, let me reiterate my strong dislike for this comic.

Instead, why not pick up "Indiana Jones Adventures Volume 1". Though ostensible a "kid"-marketed comic, the writing is vastly superior to TotG and the author truly captures the Indy tone and spirit that is far lacking in "Gods."

And delightful, stylized artwork is also terrific.

lao che & sons

Lance Quazar said:
Since we're in a new thread, let me reiterate my strong dislike for this comic.

Instead, why not pick up "Indiana Jones Adventures Volume 1". Though ostensible a "kid"-marketed comic, the writing is vastly superior to TotG and the author truly captures the Indy tone and spirit that is far lacking in "Gods."

And delightful, stylized artwork is also terrific.

Usually I'm right with your opinions Lance, they always make sense and are unbias but this time around I have to diagree with you
I thought that both comics were great no TOTG was a bit dissapointing at the end, they could've taken full advantage of how "powerful" this thing really was but instead it was like even the writers didn't know what they were going for there. If the artifact was discribed early on then maybe it would've had something to carry the story... but it was sadly dissapointing. Plus the art was horrible in comic 4 I had to reread it over again just to find out what was going on and I hated the change in style.(n)

But the action scenes were great and I think that the dialogue was humorus and well written. (y)

Now the Indy adventures #1 (which you convinced me to purchase) was brilliant it made me remember the old comics from the 80s the short stories it was very well written but the ending was very lacking to me it ended to short and the follow-up (volume 2) was also bad. In my own experience in writting Indy scripts I know it's difficult to write an ending of "epic proportions" but I was just as impressed(y)

Hmm... Was just reading through this thread.

See lots of discussion about how Dark Horse just rips off famous Indy photos as "shortcuts."

That's simply a load of ****, and I'll tell you why.

Why? Because Struzan ALWAYS did the same thing too. And no one ever complained. Look at any Struzan painting, from books to posters, to whatever else-- he always uses the same handful of poses, time and again. Philosopher's Stone is from Temple of Doom, Secret of the Sphinx as well. If memory serves, Peril at Delphi is Raiders, and so forth.

And of course, Fate of Atlantis apes from the same picture that Secret of the Sphinx grabbed from. Different artist or not, did anyone complain then?

ResidentAlien said:
Hmm... Was just reading through this thread. See lots of discussion about how Dark Horse just rips off famous Indy photos as "shortcuts." That's simply a load of ****, and I'll tell you why. Why? Because Struzan ALWAYS did the same thing too. And no one ever complained. Look at any Struzan painting, from books to posters, to whatever else-- he always uses the same handful of poses, time and again. Philosopher's Stone is from Temple of Doom, Secret of the Sphinx as well. If memory serves, Peril at Delphi is Raiders, and so forth. And of course, Fate of Atlantis apes from the same picture that Secret of the Sphinx grabbed from. Different artist or not, did anyone complain then?

Either of them can TRACE any frame of film they want, I could care less...

This is just a crap likeness of Indy:

15837.jpg

...as I mentioned, there's better work inbetween the covers. But then again the story sucked too...

Rocket Surgeon said:
Either of them can TRACE any frame of film they want, I could care less...

This is just a crap likeness of Indy:

15837.jpg

...as I mentioned, there's better work inbetween the covers. But then again the story sucked too...

Yes, it is an awful cover. But I thought all the covers were ****. Never did finish the book, though I did read the first 3 issues and liked at least the first 2... Definitely though the interior artwork was good, at least for the first issue.

DoomTown

Don't even bother finishing it. Most anti-climactic ending EVER. The MONTHS that we had to wait between issues didn't help either. All around bad.

Boo!!! Slime, filth, muck.... boo boo BOOOOOOOOOO (n)

DoomTown

emtiem said:
If you didn't finish it how do you know what the ending was like?

If you read my original post AGAIN, its says DON'T even bother finishing it, as in I was telling another poster to not finish reading it. :)

emtiem

Sorry yes; you're quite right. Not sure what happened there! :)

It is a bit of a disappointing ending, most definitely. At least it didn't do the bad-guy-getting-killed-by-the-thing-he-was-finding again, though.

DoomTown

emtiem said:
Sorry yes; you're quite right. Not sure what happened there! :)

It is a bit of a disappointing ending, most definitely. At least it didn't do the bad-guy-getting-killed-by-the-thing-he-was-finding again, though.

Not a problem; I actually almost would have preferred that ending!!! Then maybe we would have at least SEEN the creature!!!

Stoo

KVoss said:
Don't even bother finishing it. Most anti-climactic ending EVER. The MONTHS that we had to wait between issues didn't help either. All around bad.
This thread is about the compilation version. What does "the MONTHS that we had to wait between issues" have to do with anything? Yes, the finale was a bit of a disappointment but if waiting more than a month between issues had an affect on your enjoyment of the story, then that's your own problem.:rolleyes:
KVoss said:
Boo!!! Slime, filth, muck.... boo boo BOOOOOOOOOO (n)
A little harsh, don't you think?:rolleyes: "All around bad"? If it's so poor then, please, come up with something better...Do you really think that someone who bought the trade paperback is NOT going to read the whole thing based on your neandrathal review?

DoomTown

OOOGAH OOOGAH... I WAS a little harsh on the story,but name calling? Just my opinion Stoo!!! By the way, its spelled "NEANDERTHAL". I guess I may be smarter than the average bear after all... :p

Your right;it is about the compilation version,and no the waiting of months between the issues doesn't affect the "story"...always. If other people enjoy it,then cheers... It seems like the writers didn't know where the story was actually going(Did the writers even have a complete script before the books first issue was printed???), therefore the months between issues, to me, tells me that (besides the hundreds of other possibilities when it comes to the delays of comics) that the story wasn't thought through all the way,and things like story and art may have been a bit rushed in order to get an issue out...which I did INDEED, have a problem with.

I do ,again my own opinion,think it was "all around bad." The covers were nothing special,the story was bland,and the finale WAS disappointing...Better??? If not, I still am a fan of Stoo TV!!!! ;)

Last edited:

Stoo

KVoss said:
OOOGAH OOOGAH... I WAS a little harsh on the story,but name calling? Just my opinion Stoo!!! By the way, its spelled "NEANDERTHAL". I guess I may be smarter than the average bear after all... :p

Your right;it is about the compilation version...
Sorry, KVoss, but those are spelled "it's" and "you're". I called your review neanderthal, not you.:p About being "smarter than the average bear", is that a Yogi Bear reference?:D Anyway, your post was more that just an opinion. You were telling people not to bother reading the whole thing.
KVoss said:
I do ,again my own opinion,think it was "all around bad." The covers were nothing special,the story was bland,and the finale WAS disappointing...Better???
That's a bit better. At the least, it's better than calling it "slime, filth and muck". You didn't like the artwork in the first 3 chapters or any of the dialogue?:confused:

DoomTown

Stoo said:
Sorry, KVoss, but those are spelled "it's" and "you're". I called your review neanderthal, not you.:p About being "smarter than the average bear", is that a Yogi Bear reference?:D Anyway, your post was more that just an opinion. You were telling people not to bother reading the whole thing.
That's a bit better. At the least, it's better than calling it "slime, filth and muck". You didn't like the artwork in the first 3 chapters or any of the dialogue?:confused:

Thanks! ;)

Yes, it is a Yogi Bear reference,have no idea why THAT popped in my head...

I was in a "Princess Bride" mood when I wrote that(That sounds...weird.), and the quote"Slime filth muck..." was in my head too...lol

I did like the first issue for the most part...the setup was really great,but then...just downhill for me...I did hear somewhere (the Indycast maybe?) that there is a you tube animated version of "TotG"...know anything about it?Maybe I'll give it a shot!!! Cheers! ;)

Stoo

KVoss said:
I did like the first issue for the most part...the setup was really great,...
So, at the end of the day, it's not "all around bad"?:p:whip:

KVoss, the YouTube thing isn't animated. It's a motion-graphic piece (with much room for improvement) but it IS cool to see the images accompanied by music and a few sound effects. Whoever did it made an admirable attempt and "hats off" to whoever it was. Not great but worth checking out. Fellow Ravenhead, Indyclone25, posted some videos of the beginning in the original "Tomb of the Gods" thread. Page 32, post 470. You'll have to search for the rest of the vids.

Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods !!!

P.S. Yogi Bear...Indiana Jones and the Mystery of Jellystone Park!:p