A Raiders Holster

adventurestuff

Just made this Raiders holster and was curious what the folks out here thought of it. I was mainly trying to get the color more to my liking.

Here she is:

RaiderHolsterNewII.jpg

indyartist

that looks great. are you a leather smith? from which Indy did you take the references? I am pretty sure his gun/holster varied with each Indy except in 3-4 I think it was the same gun/holster which was the Webley Green. Do you have a replica pistol as well?

sgttom

I have been looking into making one. What kind of leather did you use and where did you get it? Thanks!

adventurestuff

holsters

Yes I am a leather smith.
This holster is from Raiders. For Temple of Doom and Last Crusade the holster was a standard British issue Webley holster with a toe plug. In Crystal Skulls the end was sewn without a plug but basically the same. I already made one of each of those.

I use 7oz leather (8oz. skived) to get it nice and smooth on the underside. I get leather from Weaver Leather or at my local Tandy if I need it in a hurry. Then I mixed Range Tan and Dark Cocoa Brown to get the right color.

I have two replica S&W pistols. One is hard rubber and the other is resin. I am making a Webley resin myself for use with the Webley holsters. It's in the mold right now. : )

indyartist

adventurestuff said:
Yes I am a leather smith.
This holster is from Raiders. For Temple of Doom and Last Crusade the holster was a standard British issue Webley holster with a toe plug. In Crystal Skulls the end was sewn without a plug but basically the same. I already made one of each of those.

I use 7oz leather (8oz. skived) to get it nice and smooth on the underside. I get leather from Weaver Leather or at my local Tandy if I need it in a hurry. Then I mixed Range Tan and Dark Cocoa Brown to get the right color.

I have two replica S&W pistols. One is hard rubber and the other is resin. I am making a Webley resin myself for use with the Webley holsters. It's in the mold right now. : )
thanks for the info. I am doing a painting of Indy from Crystal Skull now where the holster is very evident. The strap is loose because he is holding the pistol. I did a lot of research to get the gun accurate and the holster since there are no good FULL photos of it really. I studied the movie and still not very good frames of the gun and holster but I managed and it turned out really nice. Now just gotta finish the rest of the big painting.

Also, how did you get the accuracy? a lot of research? are there 2 holes on the strap?

adventurestuff

Holster

I do extensive research on the Indy gear with movies and online finding vintage pieces to see how they are constructed, etc. There are some really good photos of the Crystal Skull holster out of the comprehensive behind the scenes book. Also, I have a Webley WG here in my possession that I am molding to make resin replicas. I have used the WG to make a Crystal Skulls holster. There is only one hole in the flap strap of the Webley holster and the color is a dark brown. Here is my take on the CS holster with the WG in it:
IMG_7170.jpg

indyartist

adventurestuff said:
I do extensive research on the Indy gear with movies and online finding vintage pieces to see how they are constructed, etc. There are some really good photos of the Crystal Skull holster out of the comprehensive behind the scenes book. Also, I have a Webley WG here in my possession that I am molding to make resin replicas. I have used the WG to make a Crystal Skulls holster. There is only one hole in the flap strap of the Webley holster and the color is a dark brown. Here is my take on the CS holster with the WG in it:
IMG_7170.jpg
that is really cool. thanks for sharing. I have to check that book out if I can find it. Not to be picky, but is the metal knob(don't know correct term) where the strap hooks onto suppose to be gold or brass colored? Also, there is no groove around the edge of the upper flap cover? Sorry, I am a stickler for total accuracy.:D Also, where can I find that book you mentioned? thanks.

adventurestuff

Holsters

It's called 'The Comprehensive Making Of Indiana Jones - All Four Films' and you can get it online at Amazon or possibly at Borders or something close to that if they have it. It's a large paperback 'coffee table' type book.

The 'knob' is called a collar stud and on the original Webley holster it was brass or nickel brass. However, if you distress brass enough it looks silver to the eye (which is the case here on my holster). You can go either way but I think technically Indy's had a brass stud.

W.E.

adventurestuff

Grooves

Oh, and the grooves appear on the Raiders style holster but not on the Crystal Skulls style holster. Most of the vintage original Webley holsters I have seen do not have grooves on the flap. The TOD and LC holsters were way too distressed to show any signs of grooving and I didn't see grooves on the holster in the Crystal Skulls photos either. So I made it without. Adding grooves is the easiest part of making this holster.

W.E.