There goes my hero

I

Indy's_main_man

I grew up watching Harrison Ford movies since I was 3. even the violent ones. I loved them all. He was the ultimate hero...he was a human hero.

But as I grew up people started coming up to me in school saying stuff like "why do you like Harrison Ford so much?" probably because I mentioned him in stories in reading class an associated his films in my art projects.

Kids today don't like Ford, they like Vinn Diesel. They like Orlando Bloom. Niether can act. I can't stand them both. Why can't kids appreciate a real hero? Next thing you know they won't like Madonna as a singer...oh wait they don't. Next thing you know they'll idolize gangster rappers who talk about wife beating and taking drugs..oh wait they already do. Before you know it they won't know who Robin Williams is...oh wait most of them don't.

American Icons are slowly fading away....what to do?!

Indyz Azn Gurl

Madonna is still alive?? o_0
J/P!

Well, it's the same way I feel when it comes to Jackie Chan.
I'm the only one that <33333 him.
The rest of my martial arts gang worship Jet Li.

I'm not saying Jet Li is a bad actor but c'mon!!
He uses WIRES!! That's why I can't respect the guy much.

And yes I know JC uses wires too now, but hey...that man broke every bone in his body and he's aging...so ya.

But anyways...
As soon as Indy 4 comes out...^_^

Onya

Overreacting a bit, are we? :)

Diesel and Bloom are in because they appeal to the younger crowd--because they are young. Ford, let's face it, he's 63, 64 now? I hate to agree with AntiJones, but what do you expect? A 70-yr-old Indiana Jones fighting off MediCare?

Robin Williams is far from forgotten and Madonna tickets still sell for something like $300 (although I would hardly call her someone to look up to)... ;)

Indyz Azn Gurl

Onya said:
Overreacting a bit, are we? :)

Diesel and Bloom are in because they appeal to the younger crowd--because they are young. Ford, let's face it, he's 63, 64 now? I hate to agree with AntiJones, but what do you expect? A 70-yr-old Indiana Jones fighting off MediCare?

Robin Williams is far from forgotten and Madonna tickets still sell for something like $300 (although I would hardly call her someone to look up to)... ;)

30 years later...
It's going to be the same with us.
Our kids won't appreciate them, and start liking the newer and younger actors.

QueZTone

LOL Ayrun good one..

on a side note i like JC as well as Jet Li. And I prefer their old authentic movies most. Both have made hollywood movies with guns etc. But both have made authentic martial arts movies too. Surely you like Jet Li in Once Upon a Time in China, Azn?

Webley

Indy's_main_man said:

Kids today don't like Ford, they like Vinn Diesel. They like Orlando Bloom. American Icons are slowly fading away....what to do?!
I bet 20 years ago some guy said "I grew up watching John Wayne movies. Kids today don't like John Wayne they like Harrison Ford. American Icons are slowly fading away....what to do?!

Indyz Azn Gurl

QueZTone said:
LOL Ayrun good one..

on a side note i like JC as well as Jet Li. And I prefer their old authentic movies most. Both have made hollywood movies with guns etc. But both have made authentic martial arts movies too. Surely you like Jet Li in Once Upon a Time in China, Azn?

I only seen Romeo Must Die...a little of bit The One and Kiss of the Dragon. And I've seen enuff of those 2 to bore me for 5 mins.

But you're right, I'm sure his old movies are awesome.

Canyon

I agree.

Sometimes it feels as if everyone likes Orlando Bloom or any of the other up and coming actors.

For as many people who like the new breed of actors, there are hundreds, if not thousands of people who love Harrison, not just because he is a great actor.

He is a role model and hero to many people, and is also a humanitarian and environmentalist as well. ;)

Indy's_Main_Man, try not to feel too disheartened. What's most important is the way you feel and your support of one of the greatest living actors of all time. :D

I

Indy_Jones88

Indy's_main_man said:
I grew up watching Harrison Ford movies since I was 3. even the violent ones. I loved them all. He was the ultimate hero...he was a human hero.

But as I grew up people started coming up to me in school saying stuff like "why do you like Harrison Ford so much?" probably because I mentioned him in stories in reading class an associated his films in my art projects.

Kids today don't like Ford, they like Vinn Diesel. They like Orlando Bloom. Niether can act. I can't stand them both. Why can't kids appreciate a real hero? Next thing you know they won't like Madonna as a singer...oh wait they don't. Next thing you know they'll idolize gangster rappers who talk about wife beating and taking drugs..oh wait they already do. Before you know it they won't know who Robin Williams is...oh wait most of them don't.

American Icons are slowly fading away....what to do?!

I know just how you feel. I'm in high school and everyone acts like their punks and that their high. I hate it. They think they have to do that to be cool, I say "Just be yourself".

Another thing that really bugs me is lack of respect towards anyone, teachers parents, etc. I'm NOT saying im the perfect kid, but I do respect my parents and teachers. They've got 1 hell of a hard job.

1 last note. This really gets me. Veery few kids know what D-Day is much less the rest of the war. The few that know what it is know about it from Medal of Honor the game. Noone ever watches the history channel (Except me and my dad :D) It's just dissapointing.

Tennessee R

Re: Re: There goes my hero

Good post, 88.

Today, it's the 'style' to wear baggy pants around your knees, and a 10 lbs. silver chain around your neck,
and a xxxxxxxlarge t-shirt,
and to not say much unless it's an insult to a respected person.

They might say that they are 'being their self' or expressing their individuality, when asked that question,
but I say that they are not their self, but have been 'acting' like somebody (or everybody) else for so long, that the are confusing themseves with the rest of the world.

It's pretty pitiful the way modern day teenagers act to other people, and older people.
One of the first unwritten rules in success (unwritten because it's such a known fact) I guess is: If you have to work with someone, start off being pleasantly nice with them.

I don't know, but I think that young people today needs some better manners to their authorities, and need to clean up their dress code.

Johan

Counter Argument

I am learning that there are a lot of kids that still Love HF and IJ. I work with someone with a disability that works at Blockbuster, the other day a kid about 12 years old runs in and asks..."Can you help me find Indiana Jones Movies" He said he saw Last Crusade and couldn't wait to see the others.
This made me warm and fuzzy knowing that Indy continues on even in the next Generation

Deadlock

IndyJohan said:
...at Blockbuster, the other day a kid about 12 years old runs in and asks..."Can you help me find Indiana Jones Movies"

WHAT??? You mean he was going to RENT them??? As in he didn't OWN them??? How can you not think that the world is going to hell in a handbasket?!?!

Just kidding. :D

Originally posted by Tennessee R
They might say that they are 'being their self' or expressing their individuality, when asked that question, but I say that they are not their self, but have been 'acting' like somebody (or everybody) else for so long, that the are confusing themseves with the rest of the world.

It's pretty pitiful the way modern day teenagers act to other people...

Right on, Tenn! In the hunt for individuality, many teens end up conforming themselves to one group or another. And it never seems like these groups are in to something healthy like family or church (or Indy :)), does it?

Last edited:
I

Indy_Jones88

Re: Re: Re: There goes my hero

Tennessee R said:
Good post, 88.

Today, it's the 'style' to wear baggy pants around your knees, and a 10 lbs. silver chain around your neck,
and a xxxxxxxlarge t-shirt,
and to not say much unless it's an insult to a respected person.

They might say that they are 'being their self' or expressing their individuality, when asked that question,
but I say that they are not their self, but have been 'acting' like somebody (or everybody) else for so long, that the are confusing themseves with the rest of the world.

It's pretty pitiful the way modern day teenagers act to other people, and older people.
One of the first unwritten rules in success (unwritten because it's such a known fact) I guess is: If you have to work with someone, start off being pleasantly nice with them.

I don't know, but I think that young people today needs some better manners to their authorities, and need to clean up their dress code.

Thx Tennesse. Great Post yourself. We have a lot in common.

Onya

Um... no offense, but I think that's a pretty ridiculous sterotype. I am a teenager and I know very few people my age by how you describe.

intergamer

Indy's_main_man said:
Kids today don't like Ford, they like Vinn Diesel. They like Orlando Bloom. Niether can act. I can't stand them both. Why can't kids appreciate a real hero?

Dude...you only think this way because you're not a kid any more. Many 'grown-ups' have highly ignorant views of the younger generation. Besides, times and icons change. Why don't kids today respect Jack Benny? Oh, because they haven't heard of him. I could write a book on why you and many others don't know what they're talking about, but I really don't feel like taking up too much time on this. I'll just point out the youth of many members of this forum.

Onya

I believe Indy's_Main_Man is going into the ninth grade... does that still qualify him as a kid?

Tennessee R

Re: Re: Re: Re: There goes my hero

Indy_Jones88 said:
Thx Tennesse. Great Post yourself. We have a lot in common.

Yeah, I keep wanting to catch you on AIM or Yahoo! but I never seem to be around at the right time.

"Deadlock said:
And it never seems like these groups are in to something healthy like family or church (or Indy ), does it?"

Exactly. And sometimes quite the opposite.

"Onya said:
Um... no offense, but I think that's a pretty ridiculous sterotype. I am a teenager and I know very few people my age by how you describe."

Yeah, I'm exaggerating a bit, just 6 inches lower than the hips, underwear 6 inches above the hips. :)
No, I'm sure that you are not like that. In fact, everyone with an ideal, and most Indy fans, are not going to wear that. But I know that there are a lot of teens in this area (Tennessee) that have a similar dress to what I described.
By the way, are you a gentleman or a lady? I was reffering to the male, of course, with my description. (In fact, the reason that I exaggerated, is I didn't want to offend anyone on this website with a slightly similar appearance.)

I have a few objections to the typical teenager of today, just that they need to dress a bit better, and talk to everyone older than themselves in the same fashion that they would talk to Harrison Ford in the event that they met him.

You NEVER know who you are meeting. You could be talking to angels unnaware.

"So be polite."
'The Parent Trap'

Onya

Well, sir, I'm a lady. ;) After I realized you're from TN (I lived in Memphis for a while), I could see your point. But now I live in a dull part of the nation where my only trace of amusement is seeing the occasional 7th grader dress like a gangster.

BTW, I wasn't speaking in regards to myself. (Although I'm presently the spiffing example of a nicely dressed "young lady"--involuntarily, of course, but I figure someone out there's got it worse.)