Night Shyamalan's Indy IV

Luckylighter

I think he would make Indy realize that he has been a comic book hero all along, but he's also been dead the whole time, then he would battle the saucermen that attack his farm house. :D ;)

Just kidding.

I think he would definitely bring a more spiritual/mystical quality to the films, probably with less action though, because he'll be the first to admit that he doesn't do "breakneck action".

M. Night Shyamalan: Seeing Signs

Knowledge@Wharton: Do you recall the moment when you knew you wanted to be a filmmaker?

M. Night Shyamalan: Yes, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Even before that, from 10 or 11 years old, I [made my own movies] as a hobby, just for kicks. But then at 12, I saw Raiders.

The way I saw Raiders was fantastic. My friend dragged me. I didn't want to see a movie about archaeology -- I didn't even know what that was at the time. It was sold out, and we had to sit separately, which pissed me off, because I was so shy back then. I sat alone. There was an old couple next to me, and they were so sweet. They saw I was a really tiny Indian kid and they got me popcorn and stuff.

Then the lights go [down], the mountain comes [on screen] and then it starts. And I have the greatest movie experience of my life. My jaw was hanging open at the end.

Whatever magic Spielberg has, it hit me 100%. And I was like, "I need to do this for a living."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Interview:
Hindustan Times: Back in 2001, rumours were rife that you wanted to make Indiana Jones: 4 with Steven Spielberg. Now that Indiana Jones 5 is in the pipeline, do you think you would like to give it a shot again?

Manoj Night Shyamalan: Wow (laughs). That was a long time ago, but yeah I remember both George (Lucas, creator of Star Wars) and Steven (Spielberg) came up to me with the film and asked me if I wanted to direct it. But then I remember I was caught up with a lot of other things and I had to say no.

Udvarnoky

Wow. That does shake hands with Spielberg's admission that for a long period during the development he was intending only to produce the film with George and hand the directing duties off to "some kid."

Still, this seems a bit difficult to believe.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
He has a green notebook with his idea...
COLLIDER: I believe, many years ago, you met with Spielberg about writing a fourth Indiana Jones movie. Did you ever come up with your MacGuffin and the idea, or was it more just a basic meeting?
M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN: Oh, my God. I mean, it was fantastic. Obviously, Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie of all time, and so this was a dream, to be asked as a kid to go see a movie in a movie theater and then later to be asked by that person to write one of those in the future. I could faint at that moment. It was amazing. I do have my notebooks; I still have those with all my ideas for that movie. I did have a take. I talked to everybody involved and it was so nascent at that time, that movie. Everyone hadn't gotten into a room yet. They were bouncing ideas off of me. So everyone had different ideas of what to do. When you say that, I have in my head, it's a green notebook, and I had this idea. It was a darker idea.

COLLIDER: Every Indiana Jones movie has the MacGuffin, so had you thought about what that was yet?
SHYAMALAN: I did, I did, yeah. I had an idea. I hadn't pitched it to them or anything like that, but I had an idea.