The Hobbit: A Peter Jackson Trilogy

deckard24

Del Toro's definitely a better choice then Raimi, let's just hope it keeps the continuity of the original trilogy! As long as Walsh, Boyens, and Jackson do the writing, Jackson oversees the action, Howard Shore does the score, WETA with the help of Alan Lee and Joh Howe do the conceptual work and FX, and Ian Mckellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis return, we'll be in business!

Man...4 years is a long time to wait though!!(n)

agentsands77

RelicHunter said:
"If it Aint broke don't fix it" Peter jackson was the only choice to direct The Hobbit.
But he didn't want to do it. Which is why he brought Del Toro on board, and will be supervising Del Toro's work. It's not like the series is changing... the original team from the LOTR films will be coming back, Ian McKellen and Howard Shore included.

Guillermo Del Toro is a great talent, though, and given that THE HOBBIT is so distinctly different in tone it seems only natural that a different director should be selected. I can't wait to see Del Toro's take on Smaug.

|ZiR|

RelicHunter said:
"If it Aint broke don't fix it" Peter jackson was the only choice to direct The Hobbit.

I couldn't disagree more. The Hobbit and TLotR are vastly different in tone and style -- (new) Peter Jackson would try to make it too epic, when The Hobbit is a much smaller story: more like a fairy tale.

Last edited:

RelicHunter

|ZiR| said:
I couldn't disagree more. The Hobbit and TLotR are vastly different in tone and style -- (new) Peter Jackson would try to make too epic, when The Hobbit is a much smaller story: more like a fairy tale.

It doesn't matter. Jackson brought middle Earth to life and The Hobbit WILL need that feel. The size of the story is not a factor here. The ONLY reason it will be good is because Jackson is producing the movie. And if any of you buy the Bullshi* that Jackson didnt want to direct the movie and thats why they brought in someone else, needs to have their head checked. It's called politics, he knew he was going to be railroaded so saved face so that he could be part of the movie in some form. Geez! You guys act like you have forgotten what Peter jackson did for the LOTR fan base.

UltimateManGod

It's not that Jackson didn't want to. I never heard anything about him not wanting to do the movies. It was always that he had too many projects in line to be able to make the films by the time they're planning the releases now. Also, I know the fan response over at theonering.net was been extrememly positive toward del Toro, and that many believe he can do it just as well. A lot of the statements he's made have either removed or lessened many of the fears about the direction he'd take the films. You make it seem as if it will be impossible for del Toro to make the films any good. Remember, The Empire Strikes Back, the film many, including me, consider to be the best Star Wars movie was directed by Irvin Kershner, not Lucas. I see no reason he can't bring his own bring his own vision, while stilll staying true to what Jackson has started. In fact, he's even said that he plans on doing this. Oh, and everyone is well aware as to what Jackson did for the LOTR fanbase. We know we wouldn't exactly be in this position in the first place if it weren't for him.

agentsands77

RelicHunter said:
It doesn't matter. Jackson brought middle Earth to life and The Hobbit WILL need that feel.
No, it won't. Jackson's directorial style is hardly the only way to do Middle Earth justice.

RelicHunter said:
And if any of you buy the Bullshi* that Jackson didnt want to direct the movie and thats why they brought in someone else, needs to have their head checked.
Uh, I don't think so. I think Jackson genuinely didn't want to devote 4 more years of his life to a LOTR project, especially since he's got so many other interesting things going on at the moment.

fixer79

Del Toro's a good choice and I'm glad Jackson is at least still involved but why the heck do they want make two films?

Basically they'll make the movie based on the book and then a sequel to fill the gap until 'Fellowship' starts with a storyline they'll pretty much make up.

I know it's a good decision for New Line to do two back-to-back films 'cos they'll cost less then two diffrerent seperate projects and both Hobbit films are a dead cert at the box office anyway...

But isn't it a bit like adapting the life of Moses for the silver screen and deciding to add another extra film with stuff that wasn't in the Book but that has Moses becoming a Gladiator and overthrowing an evil terrorist empire?
:p

RelicHunter

UltimateManGod said:
It's not that Jackson didn't want to. I never heard anything about him not wanting to do the movies. It was always that he had too many projects in line to be able to make the films by the time they're planning the releases now. Also, I know the fan response over at theonering.net was been extrememly positive toward del Toro, and that many believe he can do it just as well. A lot of the statements he's made have either removed or lessened many of the fears about the direction he'd take the films. You make it seem as if it will be impossible for del Toro to make the films any good. Remember, The Empire Strikes Back, the film many, including me, consider to be the best Star Wars movie was directed by Irvin Kershner, not Lucas. I see no reason he can't bring his own bring his own vision, while stilll staying true to what Jackson has started. In fact, he's even said that he plans on doing this. Oh, and everyone is well aware as to what Jackson did for the LOTR fanbase. We know we wouldn't exactly be in this position in the first place if it weren't for him.

A lucas Jackson comparison is way off beat you know it and I know it. Lucas is not and has never really been that great of a director. My point is this. The only way the movie will be great is if del toro stays with what Jackson stared. PERIOD! I have have ween what del toro has done and I will give him credit on Pan's Labrynth ONLY. That doesnt mean I am happy that he is directing The Hobbit. Don't get me wrong thought I am stoked to see these finall going into filming. In fact I am planning a trip back to New Zealand during the filming.

agentsands77

fixer79 said:
Basically they'll make the movie based on the book and then a sequel to fill the gap until 'Fellowship' starts with a storyline they'll pretty much make up.
Well, actually, Tolkien wrote a lot of material that takes place between THE HOBBIT and LOTR. He just didn't flesh it out, which is what they'll do.

kongisking

fixer79 said:
I know it's a good decision for New Line to do two back-to-back films 'cos they'll cost less then two diffrerent seperate projects and both Hobbit films are a dead cert at the box office anyway...

well, yeah, since they are desperate for a hit cause of all the bombs they've been having. Ha-ha! ;) Take that, you Jackson-blacklisting jerks! That's what you get for screwing with my man PJ!!! :gun:

lucy

emm I thought jackson DID want to direct it but new line wont let him after the law suits and the like.
I like del toro but Im really dubious about all this. Im probably one of the biggest Tolkien fans and I was really scared when they announced LOTR I expected to walk out after 10 mins but as you all know the first ten mins is the prologue and I was shocked at how well they had done the whole history of the ring (including properly spoken elvish!) I was won over completely by Peter Jacksons middle earth. Im just really hoping that del toro will build on that as opposed to inventing his own middle earth. Im glad they are splitting it into 2 films there is so much to cover and I think they would have to brush over a lot of things if they onyl made one (how they are going to do the talking walking animals without it looking really childish in Beorns house is beyond me) but as weta are involved my hopes are raised.

UltimateManGod

lucy said:
Im just really hoping that del toro will build on that as opposed to inventing his own middle earth. Im glad they are splitting it into 2 films there is so much to cover and I think they would have to brush over a lot of things if they onyl made one (how they are going to do the talking walking animals without it looking really childish in Beorns house is beyond me) but as weta are involved my hopes are raised.

"The Hobbit" is only going to be one movie. The other one will cover the years between "The Hobbit" and LOTR. Also, dle Toro is adamant that he'll build on PJ's universe instead of going in a completely different direction. Here's an interview with del Toro where he talks about the films. http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04/25/28747-guillermo-del-toro-chats-with-torn-about-the-hobbit-films/#more-28747

lucy

oh sweet! thanks a mill for that link.
the years between the hobbit and LOTR? wow nice. there is a lot of material to draw from. I wonder if they will also go into detail about what happened to gandalf after he left the dwarves and bilbo at the edge of mirkwood and went off to the white council and of so I wonder if cate will be back to play galadriel?

Katarn07

I'm not worried about the directing change for all the reasons deckard24 listed. Keeping the same producers/writers is far more important in my mind when it comes to continuity than the director.

I've never read the Hobbit (I barely finished reading FotR *yawn*) so this will be a new experience for me. I am sure I'll be more excited when they're a few months away from being released, but for now I have other things to look forward to.

lucy

Katarn07 said:
I but for now I have other things to look forward to.

to say the least!! Yeah when something has a release date of 2010 its best to just forget about it for a while.

|ZiR|

RelicHunter said:
All Of Del Torro's movies suck!How can any of you be satisfied with the change in director!

Really? This is the first time I've heard someone trash Del Toro. Have you actually seen all of his movies and thought they were terrible? I wish I could say I've seen them all.

The Devil's Backbone is one of the better modern films of the that genre I've seen.